BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Which is still stupidly impractical from a perspective of "hey the cops WERE here and Nabbed this guy....better cover the rest of the tracks or go and intimidate/ get revenge on that witness"
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

You assume the people involved will see the footage.

Maybe make it so no-one can observe footage from their state?
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    You assume the people involved will see the footage.

Maybe make it so no-one can observe footage from their state?
    I can do naught but shake my head at the naivete and impracticality of this idea.

perhaps I should just leave it with this.

Police are not faceless masses, they are people too, with their own rights
    Last edited by daboarder; 10-30-2014 at 07:03 PM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Actually, some precincts have implemented a camera policy. They issued what are basically go pros to about half the patrol officers. Complaints dropped like 50%overnight. Who knows if it was officer's behaving better or when they were told they were being filmed people realized they couldn't accuse the officer of bull****.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

I dont have a problem with the camera's, if implemented right. (its basically like a dash cam for patrol cars)

But the streaming idea is just dumb

Police are not faceless masses, they are people too, with their own rights
    You want the high power that comes with being police, it should have an equally high price.

We know that the police have severe issues with a lack of accountability and both corruption and incompetence, not to mention institutional racism. As DarkLink says, cameras work.

Accountability is critical to the correct exercise of power.

Chapter-Master

Actually, I'm pretty sure the cameras worked because people realized they couldn't make up stuff in court. Apparently there were a -lot- of cases where the officers approached someone who was ready to start something, then realized everything was being recorded and backed off.

We know that the police have severe issues with a lack of accountability and both corruption and incompetence, not to mention institutional racism
    I'm actually not entirely convinced that you know a whole lot about police officers, to be frank. Really, it sounds to me like you read an article on how police were all racist, saw a few news headlines that seemed to support it, and just went from there.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I'm actually not entirely convinced that you know a whole lot about police officers, to be frank. Really, it sounds to me like you read an article on how police were all racist, saw a few news headlines that seemed to support it, and just went from there.
    Do you honestly believe that the police do not have a problem with race? I'm not saying individual police officers; I'm saying the police force as a whole.

Everything I have ever read, seen, or heard about the police leads me to believe that they are generally good people given a very difficult job to do, which - for a number of highly complex reasons, some cultural, some institutional, some historical - leads them to be unfairly prejudiced against people of colour, and black males in particular. I have family in the police. I have friends who worked with them. I read a lot.

I believe that the police force, both in the UK and the US have a deep-seated problem with race. I believe that this is not the fault of a few bad apples. Nor do I believe it is deliberate; I do not believe the police go out of their way to recruit racists. Quite the opposite, actually. However, I believe the pressures of police work warp serving officers' perceptions in a number of complex, not fully documented or explored ways which taint their perceptions, and leave them with a number of cognitive biases. I have read sufficient evidence to be satisfied that this is so, including the UK Metropolitan police forces own findings (every report published here has shown that they themselves believe themselves to be 'institutionally racist'.)

Sources:
    [url]http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/metropolitan-police-still-institutionally-racist-20-years-after-stephen-lawrence-murder-black-police-leaders-say-8581873.html[/url]
    [url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26321708[/url]
    [url]http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/mar/07/lawrence-revelations-institutional-racism-met-police[/url]
    [url]http://www.bunker8.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/misc/instrac.htm[/url]
    [url]http://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/black-officers-police-force-still-racist[/url]

So I believe this is a serious issue. I do not believe individual officers' good intentions mitigate this issue, because it is not down to individual officers to correct it. It is not their problem - it is the institution's. Which we, as taxpayers, should govern, because that's what being a responsible citizen means.

I have a problem with the police force as an institution. I do not believe it is incorrupt, but nor do I believe it to be a den of iniquity. I believe it to be a group of undertrained individuals, muddling by as best as they can with the best of intentions, and I believe that they do not interrogate their own assumptions about the kind of people they run into all that much. I think police are just people - flawed, stupid, foolish, and capable of acts of both great good and great evil. I do not believe a badge means they are any better than the criminals they arrest, because it's just a symbol, and many of them do not live up to what it represents, as a great deal of data shows.

Of course, I am a dirty liberal, prone to distrust of those in authority. Just like conservatives, who distrust those in government.

If you have hard data from independent sources, that shows the police do not disproportionately mistreat people of colour, and especially black males, far in excess of other ethnic groups, I would be happy to read it.

I will quote the UK government's own reports on the issue (emphasis my own):

A number of concerns remain outstanding. Black communities in particular are disproportionately represented in stop and search statistics and on the National DNA Database; in fact, the gap has increased since 1999. Black people are over-represented in the criminal justice system for a number of complex factors; but this does not justify this level of disproportionality. In addition, being subject to higher levels of stop and search and inclusion on the DNA Database perpetuates black people's over-representation in the criminal justice system. We repeat our warning that any gains made by the use of stop and search may be offset by its potentially negative impact on community relations.
    source:[url]http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200809/cmselect/cmhaff/427/42703.htm[/url]
    [url]https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/277111/4262.pdf[/url]

I believe you will find that in addition to these links, in my earlier post, I quoted the most recent six articles on race/policing that I read this fortnight. If you like, I can go back further and find more data. I would prefer not to, because I don't think you'll believe/listen and thus feel it would be a waste of my time, but I can do that for you if you like.

I'm not quoting tinfoil-hat sources - I'm quoting actual government investigations, and being as close to impartial as a topic this inflammatory can get. I have read the reports over the last few years, and kept up with these matters. I have done my homework on this, DarkLink, no matter what you might want to think.
    Last edited by YorkNecromancer; 10-30-2014 at 09:33 PM.

Really the American police depart has a very loose guidline on what means equal or lesser force and what it takes for their life to be at risk enough to use deadly force, I'll give a example of a couple news story's I saw last year that I can't find links to
    Case 1 america) one intellectually imparred man (white) with a plastic butter knife walking around confused and shouting at people, police responce 3-4 shots to the chest causing his death, and they had actually radios HQ to tell them the situation and got told to use deadly force
    Case 2 Germany I think) one man (can't remember his race) going through extremely violent psychosis with to large machetes chasing people and destroying shop fronts, police response 1 shot to the knee stoping the rampage without fatality and allowing the man to be apprehended and even treated for his paychosis
    Really the problem is american police officers aren't told to try everything to apprehend the suspect before moving to deadly force and get permission for deadly force from pretty much anything involving a potential weapon even if that weapons potential to do harm is minisqual
    Long live the glorious nagash supreme lord of the undead and immortal king. Emotionally imparred autistic with a tendency towards obsessing on near useless topics like dinosaurs

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrax ion pusscabe View Post
    Really the American police depart has a very loose guidline on what means equal or lesser force and what it takes for their life to be at risk enough to use deadly force, I'll give a example of a couple news story's I saw last year that I can't find links to
    Case 1 america) one intellectually imparred man (white) with a plastic butter knife walking around confused and shouting at people, police responce 3-4 shots to the chest causing his death, and they had actually radios HQ to tell them the situation and got told to use deadly force
    Case 2 Germany I think) one man (can't remember his race) going through extremely violent psychosis with to large machetes chasing people and destroying shop fronts, police response 1 shot to the knee stoping the rampage without fatality and allowing the man to be apprehended and even treated for his paychosis
    Really the problem is american police officers aren't told to try everything to apprehend the suspect before moving to deadly force and get permission for deadly force from pretty much anything involving a potential weapon even if that weapons potential to do harm is minisqual
    Ah finally, a social issue I can bite my teeth into!

Here's the thing about police brutally... the "news" lies to you. They'll jump on someone overstepping the power we give them but, never show the cop doing their job right. It's the same as the police state conspiracy, "man, the LAPD are buying tanks and military gear!" forgetting that people have been commiting crimes in military... he** one guy drove a tank through Las Angelos.

Case 1 and Case 2... Yeah we can cherrypick stories all day. I can show you a story of a cop shooting someone in the bed, I can also show you a cop getting killed with bare hands.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast