BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Apparently US police don't have tasers either. Because someone wielding a sword happens to be exactly the sort of target that tasers were designed for: a non-lethal takedown at mid range, of a suspect that would be dangerous if they got close. Someone waving a sword around cannot shoot you (if their broadsword can be waved one handed it isn't made of metal and is a harmless prop) which means that as long as they don't get within a few metres you are safe. No need to gun them down.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Chapter-Master

Morgrim

The maximum range of current tasers is 35ft/10.6m. Even if a perpetrator is only half as fast at the 100m sprint as Usain Bolt's world record, they would cover 10 metres in just under 2 seconds.

Even though a quick wikipedia check of broadsword shows that term correctly refers to one-handed basket swords and thus are designed one-handed - lets assume you mean double-handed broadsword a la claymore - even that could be swung one-handed.

You would not have time to make an asusmption 2 seconds that the nob head charging at you with what looks like a sword, is actually just a prop - based on the idea of how he is waving it around or not.

It all depends on compliance levels of the suspect. If doing what they are told - ie 'put the sword down, lie on the ground, hands behind back' or whatever, no need to shoot them. If they advancing on you at speed with what appears to be a weapon - it's their bad.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Morgrim

The maximum range of current tasers is 35ft/10.6m. Even if a perpetrator is only half as fast at the 100m sprint as Usain Bolt's world record, they would cover 10 metres in just under 2 seconds.

Even though a quick wikipedia check of broadsword shows that term correctly refers to one-handed basket swords and thus are designed one-handed - lets assume you mean double-handed broadsword a la claymore - even that could be swung one-handed.

You would not have time to make an asusmption 2 seconds that the nob head charging at you with what looks like a sword, is actually just a prop - based on the idea of how he is waving it around or not.

It all depends on compliance levels of the suspect. If doing what they are told - ie 'put the sword down, lie on the ground, hands behind back' or whatever, no need to shoot them. If they advancing on you at speed with what appears to be a weapon - it's their bad.
    How about the guy with the sword not actually charging at you? Would you taser him for sake of safety, or shoot him four times in the back?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Personally? Depends on compliance. If I could achieve it verbally that would be fine. If not but he was not coming forward, a taser would be appropriate to disarm him.

As to shoot four times in the back, I don't think we have enough information of evidential value to state yet whether or not that happening to the cosplayer was reasonable. Don't forget the police responded to an emergency 911 call - we have no idea what the innocent citizen described to the dispatch controller. Cosplayer's aunty said he had earbeads in - he may not have complied with the Police's instructions.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say any time someone receives more gun shot wounds to the back than the front, there's something kind of iffy about the claim he charged the rozzers.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

As before MM - even the witness photos show the 2 police on either side of the car split apart. If - IF - he charged 1, the other would be within his rights to fire at his back - in defence of his partner.

I doubt we'll hear about the investigation's results, the media will forget about it and move onto the next scandal, (probably whatever dress Kim Kardashian wears next.) They have to focus on the real issues, after all.)

I had friends get confronted by armed police while they were playing with BB guns. It's stupid in hindsight, but they were 15 at the time. They were shooting each other in a park, and a resident nearby phoned the police saying some young kids were having a gunfight outside. (Must've been an old dear with no hearing, or someone with absolutely no clue how loud a gunshot would be, and that they're not normally bright orange.)

Now, the police arrive having to treat the situation as if the kids are packing real heat. He's wearing a vest, walks up to my friends and lifts his pistol out of his holster slightly as a warning, telling them to put the guns down. He sees that they're bright orange, curses, and tells them to put them away as a resident called them being very scared.

You see, I just don't get the mentality of the cops in this instance. Why is it they come with full lethal force, and their first action is to point a lethal weapon at the potential criminal and be prepared to shoot-to-kill? Why is that the standard procedure? Do they even get tasers to use as an alternative?
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    As before MM - even the witness photos show the 2 police on either side of the car split apart. If - IF - he charged 1, the other would be within his rights to fire at his back - in defence of his partner.
    I will defend my partner by shooting towards my partner.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOD-s412MOw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOD-s412MOw[/URL]

So what is the right thing to do in this situation?
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Not murder someone in the street for not obeying your orders is always the right thing to do.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast