Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Daemon-Prince

Would help if i owned an Airbrush....lol
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by White Tiger88 View Post
    Would help if i owned an Airbrush....lol
    I linked those guys because they also do spray cans with that paint in it (aerosol cans) so the airbrush is not so required
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

There's also a "quick and dirty" method to getting the iridescent/pearlescent look, although it won't truly change colors, and it goes like this:
    -Step 1: choose your colors; this system works best if you're shooting for a green, purple, or orange-ish hue, although it could work for others, but I haven't tried those as of yet. For your colors, you need your top color, a pot of metallic paint (gold for yellow, copper for red, etc) that is 1 step to the left or the right of your final color on the color wheel (gold for green or orange, copper for orange or purple), and a basecoat that's opposite the metallic on the color wheel (purple under gold, green under copper).

-Step 2: basecoat the parts to be pearlized with the chosen base color. Nothing fancy, just a smooth, even coat.

-Step 3: here's where the magic should happen: mix 1-2 parts top color to 1 part metallic color. When evenly blended, it should give the look of the top color, but also be recognizable that you have a metallic in there as well. Now drybrush this mixture over the surface, and make sure to always brush in the same direction over the whole area; the reason for this is while it will eventually coat the whole surface, depending on the texture, some of the undercoat will remain untouched, which gives a slight color-changing effect as you view the piece from different angles.

-Step 4: if the final look is a bit too metallic, apply a thin wash of the desired top color to help bring it out.

It's not perfect by any means, and the technique definitely bears testing on a piece of scrap first until you get the right color mix, but I've used this in the past and it has worked well for me.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    I linked those guys because they also do spray cans with that paint in it (aerosol cans) so the airbrush is not so required
    Oh cool thanks! I do like the pearl carapace idea.......Mixed with the evily dark skin they will be the new "Oh crap" the guard watch out for

Chapter-Master

yeah I've seen it done on another nid army (different paint, same idea) and it looks wonderfully, freakishly alien

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DWest View Post
    There's also a "quick and dirty" method to getting the iridescent/pearlescent look, although it won't truly change colors, and it goes like this:
    -Step 1: choose your colors; this system works best if you're shooting for a green, purple, or orange-ish hue, although it could work for others, but I haven't tried those as of yet. For your colors, you need your top color, a pot of metallic paint (gold for yellow, copper for red, etc) that is 1 step to the left or the right of your final color on the color wheel (gold for green or orange, copper for orange or purple), and a basecoat that's opposite the metallic on the color wheel (purple under gold, green under copper).

-Step 2: basecoat the parts to be pearlized with the chosen base color. Nothing fancy, just a smooth, even coat.

-Step 3: here's where the magic should happen: mix 1-2 parts top color to 1 part metallic color. When evenly blended, it should give the look of the top color, but also be recognizable that you have a metallic in there as well. Now drybrush this mixture over the surface, and make sure to always brush in the same direction over the whole area; the reason for this is while it will eventually coat the whole surface, depending on the texture, some of the undercoat will remain untouched, which gives a slight color-changing effect as you view the piece from different angles.

-Step 4: if the final look is a bit too metallic, apply a thin wash of the desired top color to help bring it out.

It's not perfect by any means, and the technique definitely bears testing on a piece of scrap first until you get the right color mix, but I've used this in the past and it has worked well for me.
    Sounds cool, any chance of sharing some pitcures?

Another way to get a flatter metallic is to paint the carapace silver and then do 3 or 4 washes of the chosen colour over the top. they've got some marines done that way over on BnC

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/155396-viva-metallica/

Very Cool.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Daemon-Prince

yeah I've seen it done on another nid army (different paint, same idea) and it looks wonderfully, freakishly alien

- - - Updated - - -

Another way to get a flatter metallic is to paint the carapace silver and then do 3 or 4 washes of the chosen colour over the top. they've got some marines done that way over on BnC

[url]http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/155396-viva-metallica/[/url]

Very Cool.
    Hmmm that would make a pretty cool Carapace.......I wonder if it would work for non-metallic.......

Chapter-Master

non metallic undercoat? its called staining and you do it with a white undercoat, can be pretty dark if you do enough layers, just make sure they aren't too thick so they dont pool

Chaplain

More Tyranid goodness than you could ever want!

[url]http://album.warpshadow.com/main.php[/url]
    Melissia Wrote: "I think the secret to getting more people to stop calling you an arrogant elitist douchebag is to stop being an arrogant elitist douchebag."

[URL=http://s899.photobucket.com/user/disposableobject/media/20141104_194420_zps49849573.jpg.html][/URL]
    Here's an example of the effect on a Plague Drone carapace; purple base with green/gold drybrush, green wash.

I would have had an example on an actual Tyranid, but all I had on hand were Finecast models, and while I don't hate the material like some, the drybrushed metallic doesn't pop nearly as well as it does on plastic.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Chapter-Master

Thats really cool man

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast