BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 315 of 400 FirstFirst ... 215265305313314315316317325365 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,150 of 3995
    Chapter-Master

lols

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Shift it two to the left.

Bunny and Horseyneigh are tasty meat.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

See I'd have probably drawn the line to cut them in half, and probably swapped them round as I think people are probably more likely to knowingly eat wild rabbit than horse (unless you're getting that tesco mince )

Chapter-Master

those kinds of ads annoy me. several friends share a lot of that nonsense on facebook. it just makes no sense. there is nothing wrong whatsoever with eating meat. if they want to campaign for animals rights, absolutely. I am sure most of us would march with them. but trying to guilt trip people in to not eating meat with pointless statements? what does that achieve exactly? just lazy, armchair activism.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Indeed.

Campaign for CCTV in Slaughterhouses. Damn right.

Campaign for the end to factory farming in Europe (where we really, really don't need it). Damn right.

Campaign for heavy punishment for those who abuse livestock. Damn right.

Campaign for me not to eat meat ever again. No, ta. I'm quite aware of where the meat on my plate comes from. I try to buy as local as possible and higher welfare. I'll use every last scrap I can, and I'm fond of offal based dishes. And yes, I am quite happy with the fact animals die to keep me fed. I don't need to justify that to anyone anymore than you need to justify your choice of diet.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

There seems to be loads on FB at the moment, as soon as you block one of these bull**** groups a new one pops up to replace it.

What really gets me is the short sightedness of most of these people, what do they think is going to happen to most of the meat species if we all gave up tomorrow and there's no incentive for farmer Giles to keep them anymore? What about when they're eating the fields of crops?

Chapter-Master

yup, changing over to being vegetarian or vegan just isn't practical.

In one sense it is. You can grow far more field per square acre using plants than you can animals. Livestock is a pretty inefficient way of utilising limited land - hence why rearing animals is uncommon in mountinaous areas where flat fields are at a premium, compared to the vast, open fields in a lot of the West that are given over to livestock.

The idea would be to steadily move to a lower meat diet. The Western diet eats significantly more meat than most other diets, as meat is expensive for most cultures, (see previous on it taking a lot of land to rear, and a load of grain. You need to grow crops to feed the animals.) Rather than feeding grain to animals and eating them, the idea would be to find smarter ways to get the necessary nutrients in our diet, and move to living on plants. As the population continues to rise, this will eventually be the only effective way of sustaining food for the majority, if not everyone.

PETA and the like are a very bad example of animal rights activists. As far as vegans/vegetarians, most accept that switching to meat-substitute products isn't going to be possible for everyone, as it can be expensive. That said, dishes like Tofu are around because it was a way to supplement the lower-meat diet of the peasantry in much of East Asia. It's a zealous few that make it into a crusade against meat eaters, and sadly they're loud enough to drown out the rest.

Personally the cruelty-free outlook is silly. Animals die. Nature often kills them in horrible ways, and while our current treatment is clinical and industrialised to a grotesque scale, it is better than some of the hunting techniques used by their natural predators. My personal view is more environmental and economic. We're going to reach a point where meat is too expensive to sustain, most likely after another plague. It doesn't help that we monoculture our meat based off a surprisingly-small number of species, and a low number of breeding animals vs the population at large. One particularly-bad disease could wipe the whole stock, as seen with Mad Cow, or Bird Flu. At least with plant substances, we can more easily manipulate their genetics to adapt to challenges - something that doesn't transfer easily to animals.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

yes in a theoretical world you can grow more crops. but that isn't how farming works. you can't just stop rearing animals and change to crops on all the fields. any change over would have to take decades, and would result in massive job losses.

Chapter-Master

You also simply couldn't grow crops on a lot of the fields that have cattle or sheep on them in the north of the country. Having animals eat the natural grass is a simple solution to producing food on otherwise useless farmland.