BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How do you roll: twin-linked - one-at-a-time OR all at once?

I was in a tournament recently and my opponent rolled his twin-linked weapons all at once. Instead of rolling to hit with his lascannon, checking to see if he missed, then rolling another die at a second chance, he simply rolled two dice to see if he hit (still only scoring one hit if he did hit.)

It struck me as odd, but I guess the odds would still be the same and it would speed up game play a smidgen.

How do you guys and gals roll twin-linked? Am I in the minority of rolling it one and a time?
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

If it is a single dice item with a reroll you can roll both dice to speed up play. I usually do.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master

Only for a single dice, though. It does change the odds if you try rolling four dice for two twin linked shots.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

I'll also use different colored dice with several single die rerollable items. So a Land Raider with 2 TL Lascannons I would roll 2 white and 2 red D6's needing to score 1 success on each color to get 2 hits and so on and so forth. Really comes down to personal preference but since you are going for a single success it doesn't change the probabilities.

Also when I ran 5 terminators with master Crafted Thunder Hammers I would have 5 different colors that I could use to still roll all attacks at once then choose 1 failure from each of the colors to reroll for the mastercrafted thingy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Only for a single dice, though. It does change the odds if you try rolling four dice for two twin linked shots.
    It sure does!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

I've always found it easier to roll once, pick up all the misses, brush the hits into a "hit pile" and re-roll the misses.
    (then pick up all the "still misses," lay them aside, brush the new hits into the hit pile, pick the lot up and roll to wound. It's a lot easier and more fluid to do than to describe.)

Of course, being Orks, I'm only working with fewer than five twin-linked shots if the mob doing the shooting has already taken casualties. Don't even ask about a mob of fifteen Warbikers. I couldn't possibly differentiate between forty-five differently coloured pairs of dice, and rolling one pair forty-five times would be... well, let's just say if my opponent punched me in the face over it I wouldn't press charges.

Veteran-Sergeant

I have always done it like Houghten said. Say for hurricane bolters at rapid fire range. 6 dice rolled first, pick your hits out reroll the rest. Even on a single weapon like a twin linked lascannon, roll one dice. If it comes out a miss then I reroll it

I prefer rolling a die, then if it fails, picking it up and rerolling it.

The reason is that I want my opponent to be fully aware of what's going on and not think that I'm trying any sort of shenanigans. Especially in a tournament setting where you are trying to go fast, being consistent and above board is much more important.

For example, I generally run 10 DE warriors in a Raider with Splinter racks. The racks give me the ability to reroll misses. So I'm using between 10 and 20 dice on the first roll (depends on if Rapid Firing). Then I pick out the misses, move the hits to one side, and do the reroll. In a 1500 point tournament, my part (move/shoot/assault) generally only takes about 10 minutes per round anyway as I typically know exactly what I'm going to do as my opponent is finishing up.
    Last edited by clively; 11-04-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    No, it doesn't.

2 red, 2 green, 2 white, 2 black = 4 twin-linked dice.
    - 40k Eldar, Imperial Guard & Chaos Marines ∙ WFB Dogs of War ∙ WM/H Cryx ∙ BFG Chaos & Imperial Navy -

Chapter-Master

Yes, actually, it does. If you color code dice, then you're basically rolling multiple single tl shots at once so you can indeed keep track of the results. But without the color coding, if you just throw out four identical dice for two tl shots you just cheated your opponent.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I think I'd rather my opponent just roll in separate batches.

The time saved by digging out separately coloured dice etc just doesn't seem worth it.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast