BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    Picking up misses I think is the better way around. After all you are less likely to pick up additional misses then pick up additional hits. Also, it gives your opponet chance to skim over them to make sure they are right and if there is a benefit of the doubt well it is less contentious to have diddled yourself out of a hit then it is to diddle yourself an extra hit.

I like to be quite verbose about what I am rolling for and why, doubly so in CC. I have a pile of die for each model it is mainly for my own peice of mind. Though a mob of 40 orks on the charge it would probably just do the calculation, explain it and roll all the dice in the world.
    Yup.

Particular in Warhammer, you can wind up rolling a veritable bucket of dice. So for my Ogres, I'll gather the dice per model, then per rank. That way my opponent can reliably see I'm rolling the right amount etc.

I do the same for my Dark Elf Repeater Crossbows.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I suggest just rolling to hit, then pick out any misses, and reroll those.
    It is just more clear to everyone, also may prevent cheating, some people will try to.

Chapter-Master

Yeah, always pick up misses. Always. It's just good etiquette.

To expand on the math behind the OP: in statistics, continuity of individual strings of "events" are important. You need to have some way of isolating out each individual set of TL shots. It doesn't matter what dice you roll per shot, since all that matters is that at least one succeeds, but you have to differentiate between the dice used for each shot. If you just pick up four dice for two TL shots and roll them without any differentiation, you won't get the same odds. It's possible you roll two hits and two misses. Problem is, are those two hits on the same shot or on different shots? If you had rolled separately, you might have rolled two hits for shot A, and two misses for shot B. You would have thus rolled two hits when you should have gotten a hit and a miss.

That's where colored dice come in. You use the dice to identify each independent "event" in order to maintain consistency. Then it doesn't matter what order of dice you roll, as long as you have two color coded dice per one TL shot. There's a statistical term for that which I'm forgetting. It's kind of like "with/without replacement" in regards to poker, but for rolling dice instead.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Basic rule of good sportsmanship - if you need to explain your dice rolls, you've probably done it wrong.
    I’m not sure I agree 100% there Mr. Mystery, I normally talk through the process of rolls while I’m gathering my dice. Ex: “4 autocannons @ 2 shots each, 1 heavy bolter @ 3 shots; autocannons are the black, heavy bolter is the green; need 3’s to hit, etc., etc” then pow, down with the dice. I try to be as transparent with the dice I’m picking up as possible; in my opinion it also keeps my opponent “in the know” about what’s being done in case I make a mistake.

Regarding the OP and the twin-linking the only thing I fast dice are my reserve rolls if I happen to have a Comm relay. For shooting, I roll it, pick up misses, scoot hits to the side then re-roll the misses and bundle all hits for the to-wound roll. The only time I do different colors is as per the above example if I’m firing different weapons and then, they only get rolled if the shortest range weapon has range to the back of the unit I’m firing at making sure I don’t cheat my opponent by “out-ranging” shorter ranged guns.

I just find it quicker to grab the dice I need, then roll for each weapon type. Saves on potential confusion, and probably takes less time than explaining which is which prior to rolling

And you're always going to get some goon who decides because you've used specific dice for a specific weapon that clearly you're cheating because they must be loaded dice etc (no, not me. I'm not one to fuss if you cheat. I'll just feel quietly sorry for you)
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Personally, I've never used the "2 dice per shot" for twin-linking, although that's mainly because I either have nothing twin-linked, or I'm playing a Sicaran tank or have Prescience, so I'm twin-linking more dice then there are colors in the color wheel. I do use the "pile o' shots" method if I have multiple colors of dice on hand. I also find if certain dice are rolling "hot" it helps alleviate bad feelings to leave them in the middle of the table and offer to let my opponent to use them.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    And you're always going to get some goon who decides because you've used specific dice for a specific weapon that clearly you're cheating because they must be loaded dice etc (no, not me. I'm not one to fuss if you cheat. I'll just feel quietly sorry for you)
    Well, I do know someone who uses specific sizes of dice for different things... apparently dice the size of the small GW dice, the ones about 1cm^3, tend to get micro bubbles in them that give a slightly higher chance of them rolling low numbers. So, he uses those for leadership tests. Whereas he will use the larger dice for to hit/wound rolls where you would want to avoid 1's and 2's.... it's not that the dice are loaded, more that over a large number of rolls there will be a slightly higher number of occurrences of 1's on the small dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Strigis View Post
    “4 autocannons @ 2 shots each, 1 heavy bolter @ 3 shots; autocannons are the black, heavy bolter is the green;
    You may want to re-read the rules for shooting in 7th.

You now resolve each different weapon type completely before moving on to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by -Tom- View Post
    Well, I do know someone who uses specific sizes of dice for different things... apparently dice the size of the small GW dice, the ones about 1cm^3, tend to get micro bubbles in them that give a slightly higher chance of them rolling low numbers. So, he uses those for leadership tests. Whereas he will use the larger dice for to hit/wound rolls where you would want to avoid 1's and 2's.... it's not that the dice are loaded, more that over a large number of rolls there will be a slightly higher number of occurrences of 1's on the small dice.
    Hmm. Gamesmanship.

If you don't feel given dice are random enough, don't use them at all!

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    You may want to re-read the rules for shooting in 7th.

You now resolve each different weapon type completely before moving on to the next.
    I understand the rules for shooting completely. I also know that trying to get in a 6 turn game during a tournament in 2 hours forces you to accelerate the speed of turns. Our local meta has agreed to allow combining of shots based on a few easy to remember rules. It’s not your meta so I’m not going to spell it all out as you most likely don’t care anyhow; but if you do I’ll be more than happy to send it to you in a PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast