BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Curious About... Tyranids

So, I just bought Space Hulk, and now I've got 22 genestealers and a broodlord.

And I know I'm going to be buying the rumored 'Nids vs. Blood Angels campaign box (should it prove to be a real thing).

So, the thing is, at that point I'm really not far from a legitimate 'Nids force - as a side project, certainly, but perhaps an entertaining one.

So... what do I need to know about Tyranids? What's good, what's awful? What kind of critters would I end up buying if I wanted a small, fun Tyranids army?
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Here's some specific questions that it might be useful to have answered:

1) Who are the standouts in each slot? For example, are genestealers any good? I'm considering this, at the moment, based purely on the fact that I've got a ton of genestealers that came with Space Hulk. If they're no good, that might sway me away from even thinking about this. What kind of HQs am I likely to want?

2) Basic weapons, and the special weapon that you can add to termagaunt squads. Which ones are good? Which ones are best for generalist squads? Which ones have special roles?

3) Upgrades and special weapons for use by big nasty monsters... which of them are good? Are poison sacks and adrenal glands worth it for infantry?

And, of course... anything else you want to tell me.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    1) Who are the standouts in each slot? For example, are genestealers any good? I'm considering this, at the moment, based purely on the fact that I've got a ton of genestealers that came with Space Hulk. If they're no good, that might sway me away from even thinking about this. What kind of HQs am I likely to want?
    I have never seen anyone use stealers in a competitive environment for the last 3 editions. (Other than the last codex Ymgarl stealers). I think stealers are fun and fluffy but apparently that's all they are...

I do regularly see Flyrants, Harpies, Tervigons, Zoanthropes and Termagaunts. I also see people using the Tyranid Flying beastie formation and the Living Artillery formation. I think we will see a whole bunch of new builds as soon as the newest shiny models hit the scene cause they look to be ace.

I'm also seriously thinking of nids myself so I will be happy to see how vets respond.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master

Well, personally, I haven't seen anything in a competitive 40k environment, because I avoid those environments like the plague. My question isn't "is it the best and most competitive option?" but rather "is it good enough that I will enjoy it?" The genestealers seem pretty cool to me. Decently tough, great WS, rending attacks, and you can have a broodlord hide in the squad, which gives you better melee possibilities and a Warp Charge on a stick.

Chapter-Master

Makes sense! Competitive environments can definitely be a lot of drama. I still think the lack of grenades puts off even casual players. Sort of defeats the whole point of that ungodly initiative when you have to strike last most of the time. I still think stealers look great and have a lot of potential if you can catch someone silly enough to stand out in the open for an assault.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Makes sense! Competitive environments can definitely be a lot of drama. I still think the lack of grenades puts off even casual players. Sort of defeats the whole point of that ungodly initiative when you have to strike last most of the time. I still think stealers look great and have a lot of potential if you can catch someone silly enough to stand out in the open for an assault.
    It seems to me like the trick would be to use them as objective grabbers. If the objective is in cover, have them Infiltrate right onto it. If it's in the open, have them Infiltrate near it. Either way, they can either dare the opponent to come to them, or wait until the opponent stands on the objective in the open, then come charging out of cover.

Chapter-Master

It seems to me like the trick would be to use them as objective grabbers. If the objective is in cover, have them Infiltrate right onto it. If it's in the open, have them Infiltrate near it. Either way, they can either dare the opponent to come to them, or wait until the opponent stands on the objective in the open, then come charging out of cover.
    That sounds interesting... could be a real bonus in tactical objective missions to start grabbing points early. I really like the dynamic of every turn scoring. It might make competitive people a bit crazy but it adds a lot of fun to the game. Every turn becomes important!
    My Truescale Insanity

Stealers are at best remarkably high-maintenance. The biggest maintenance of all is to figure out how to charge with them and (1) destroy your opponent on the magic even-numbered rounds, and (2) stopping your Initiative from dropping to 1. The Broodlord might be able to help with the latter if you can pin the target you want to charge with The Horror before assaulting. Put him up front and he can eat 3 Overwatch wounds before dying.

They can go in a Tyrannocyte. Considering they can't assault on an outflank anyway, you might as well deep strike them anywhere on the table, ideally right into some juicy 4+ cover ruins. Still, other units can use Tyrannocytes better.

2) Basic weapons, and the special weapon that you can add to termagaunt squads. Which ones are good? Which ones are best for generalist squads? Which ones have special roles?
    None of them. Go Fleshborers. Forever. You physically can't spawn anything but a Fleshborer Termagant from a Tervigon.

Devourer Termagants have their place, such as dropped from a Tyrannocyte, but you're capped at 20 so you can't use this brood to unlock the Tervigon. A trick to get a lot of Devourer Termagants from the big Tyranid box is to take all the Devourers and put them on Hormagaunt bodies, essentially doubling your Termegants. Unless something ultra-drastic happens (like getting rid of the I1 penalty for charging while in the general vicinity of terrain), Hormagaunts are just not coming back.

Never use Spinegaunts. You are paying points to become measurably worse.

3) Upgrades and special weapons for use by big nasty monsters... which of them are good? Are poison sacks and adrenal glands worth it for infantry?
    A masterclass on how to equip Tyranid MCs:

This is a Twin-Linked Brainleech Devourer.

Thank you for attending.

And, of course... anything else you want to tell me.
    Play Unbound. You lose very little, but in exchange you get to take all the good units (in minimum-sized broods, just because you can), and you don't need to take anything bad.

Flyrants w/ 2x TLed Brainleech Devourers are still the gold standard for Tyranids. Fortunately, Forge World has TLed Brainleech Devourer arms for Tyrants, and a lot of players took to using Fleshborer Hives from the Tervigon / Tyrannofex kit to represent TLed Brainleech Devs as well.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by ReveredChaplainDrake View Post
    Devourer Termagants have their place, such as dropped from a Tyrannocyte, but you're capped at 20 so you can't use this brood to unlock the Tervigon. A trick to get a lot of Devourer Termagants from the big Tyranid box is to take all the Devourers and put them on Hormagaunt bodies, essentially doubling your Termegants. Unless something ultra-drastic happens (like getting rid of the I1 penalty for charging while in the general vicinity of terrain), Hormagaunts are just not coming back.

Flyrants w/ 2x TLed Brainleech Devourers are still the gold standard for Tyranids. Fortunately, Forge World has TLed Brainleech Devourer arms for Tyrants, and a lot of players took to using Fleshborer Hives from the Tervigon / Tyrannofex kit to represent TLed Brainleech Devs as well.
    Is the tervigon no good as a HQ?

It's considerably better as a Troop. Objective Secured shenanigans are pretty much the only reason you ever see them anymore. Taking it as an HQ means less shenanigans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast