BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default how many of you pay more for the old metal versions of characters to avoid finecast?

I recently had a nightmare of 4 bad resin kits where the customer support team was literally opening them before sending them and scrounging parts out to me. took 4 weeks and they couldnt find a complete model without a serious molding error. This has basically sent me on the "anti - finecast" crusade where im only seeking out older metal models. The problem is it cost me at least 50 to even 100 percent more for the metal versions.

at least for characters, is anyone else but me looking for the old metal stuff?

Veteran-Sergeant

If I can scratch build it in plastic an some green stuff, I'd rather do that. If not, I'd convert a similar metal model. To date, I have no fine cast in my collection.

SJ

Don't be afraid to buy painted metal minis. Typically something painted is cheaper than the unpainted, and metal is SUPER EASY to strip. Just a tip to hopefully save you a few bucks.
    Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs, High Captain of Angband - Veteran Blood Angels Player
    Home of the 9th Legion: www.sepulchreofheroes.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by eosgreen View Post
    I recently had a nightmare of 4 bad resin kits where the customer support team was literally opening them before sending them and scrounging parts out to me. took 4 weeks and they couldnt find a complete model without a serious molding error. This has basically sent me on the "anti - finecast" crusade where im only seeking out older metal models. The problem is it cost me at least 50 to even 100 percent more for the metal versions.

at least for characters, is anyone else but me looking for the old metal stuff?
    What model/s did you have issues with? and like Gothmog said grab the painted ones cheaps and just strip. I got a metal Brother Corbulo for $8 off Ebay a few months back, he was covers in this ungodly red spray and you couldn't make out what the model if not for his classoc pose of holding his cup up high. Soaked him in fluid over night, took a tooth brush to him and good as new! (of course tho he now sits on my to be painted shelf still lolz)

I prefer to custom-convert if possible, but failing that, I'll take a bad Finecast sculpt (within reason; huge missing chunks or massive deformities are right out) over a metal one, but I admit it's mainly a superstition on my part, on account of 2 metal models:
    -Problem Child #1 was an Obliterator, who got spilled off my gaming table at home onto my foot. Being at home I was only wearing socks, not shoes, and I would not be surprised to find out the big lump gave me a hairline fracture for my trouble.
    -Problem Child #2 was Lemartes. In all his jump-packing glory, the L-Man fell over at the slightest provocation (even with a washer and a load of lead attached to his base) and worse, being an assault-oriented model, he kept tearing arms off his fellow Death Company or whomever they were fighting.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

I own not a single FailCrap "resin" model.

I do own at least 500 metal models.

I did hunt a metal Crusader rather than take a risk on FailCrap.
    - 40k Eldar, Imperial Guard & Chaos Marines ∙ WFB Dogs of War ∙ WM/H Cryx ∙ BFG Chaos & Imperial Navy -

Librarian

I prefer metal to plastic because it is far faster to file, clean, and assemble. Quicker to get painted and on the table.
    And I don't mind that my Sisters army only has a few poses, it looks great on the table!
    From a modeler stand piont, I do also enjoy posing and chopping plastic models, but I recently bought a SpiritSeer Finecast model and its staff warped while laying flat on my table! Junk.

I recently painted a old metal Glorfindel; it reminded me how much I hated metal models. firstly I can clearly see how badly put together the model is (it was one of the first models I had) and it has a noticeable gap between the two halfs of the horse. I had a similar problem with some hellhound metal tanks being warped so badly that they had no correlation. secondly the model is heavy which makes it difficult to paint without touching the painted metal surfaces which leads to the third reason I dislike metal models, it is simply too easy to brush off paint from the edges especially with the build up of lots of thin layers.

now with regard to finecast (and other resin) models, personally I haven't had any with noticeable miscasts so I can't comment on that, I know other people have. however I will stand by the fact that the model is re-moldable with a little hot water, this leads to very good joints and allows for reposing to a certain extent. in addition it is much easier to cut whilst converting the model, I don't know how many saws I have blunted cutting though a handful of metal models.

With regard to JMichael's comment about finding metal easier to prepare, I would say in my experience that Finecast and plastic are much faster for myself, usually only needing me to reach for a craft knife.

Veteran-Sergeant

I don't own any fine cast models.

I'm really grateful my model of the changeling is metal as that staff would never survive if it was fine cast.

I also went to Ebay to buy metal versions of Draigo, Coteaz and Crowe rather than buy fine cast which was much more expensive.

I personally can't stand metal minis. Heavy, especially en masse, too easy to accidentally rub the paint off, annoying to glue, and even more annoying to try and convert. I only own three metal minis between my 6.5K of Tau and 3.5K of Guard, Aun'shi, a Kroot Shaper, and an old Company Commander with a bionic eye and a power sword, which I bought recently because it was 99p and a genuinely cool sculpt.

I have a metal Demolisher cannon for a Leman Russ, though, and it adds noticeably to the weight. I'd hate to have to carry around a Sisters army of metal minis, especially with those Exorcists!

As far as Finecast, I only have one model, Shadowsun, who came out pretty excellent. Every hero I have I've converted up aside from the aforementioned metals, and I'm lucky to play two armies that don't have an awful lot of Finecast in them, especially Guard.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast