BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Finecast/resin and plastic are so superior to metal it isn't fun. also anyone who thinks metal is easier to prepare hasn't had to sand down particularly stubborn mould lines or assemble really fiddly metal models. Hellcannon anyone?
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Occuli Imperator

This is one of these rare times that I agree with EG (and others). The old white metal (and lead before them) were pains in the arse to deal, especially the hybrid metal plastic kits. Having to pin every join otherwise it wouldn't hold then if the mould lines were on the inside of a whole they were almost impossible to file and get the pegs to match.
    Then take Dante, he is so top heavy it isn't funny. Finecast allows all the fine detail that you used to get in metal, only without them being restricted to positions because of the weight of the materal.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

For me, in order of preference?

Plastic, Finecast, Resin, Metal.

Metal is a horrible material to work with, and those who claim to have never had a warped or otherwise miscast piece are, uh...being selective with the truth, and forgetting such joys as buying a model, having to straighten a bit bent in the blister, only to have it snap off, requiring time with a pin drill, greenstuff and brass rod to correct.

Yes, Finecast does indeed have its issues. No material is perfect. But in my experience of the kits, no more so than Metal, and usually a lot easier to fix/sort out.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

I like metal models. But I can't say they've all been perfect.
    The only FC models I have are limiteds and they have all been good enough if not perfect, but that could be down to better QC, better manufacturing, or being designed for the casting material.
    I do like the versatility plastic gives you.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Veteran-Sergeant

I would be interested in a breakdown of the percentage of problems with Finecast. Now obviously, there are problems, but I think that some of the current hate for Finecast is based on a few anecdotal horror stories that get repeated around the internet, (when was the last time someone complained because they didn't have any problems with Finecast?) mixed in with 'OMG I hate GW because it's trendy to hate GW!'

Granted, I don't have a whole lot of Finecast, but I haven't had any problems with it at all, and it would be interesting to see if my experiences are in the majority or minority of customers.
    92 Golf: Death From Within
    Any plan where you lose your hat is a bad plan.

One complaint about Finecast was proven by me to be nonsense, through the inadvisable application of several beers, a Liche Priest model, and a very hot oven.

In short, it doesn't melt. Indeed, I would wager it stands up to very, very hot tempratures better than metal models....
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

You would lose the bet.
    This is pretty much dependent on how the stuff was mixed. I do not know how they have done this but I had a lot of different "types" of Finecast.

1) perfectly fine
    2) extremely brittle (you could actually see and "feel" this)
    3) extremely soft (let that spear stand around and it will bend downwards over time)

It seems to me that there were some issues with mixing the resin or huge quality differences by their providers.
    Not talking about failed minis with bubbles and missing details (they even had a failcast mini on their website when they released it to show off the "awesome details").
    I go plastic whenever I can. Made 10 Grotesques out of Hordes Warspears... saves a lot of money, the result is slightly better and its not finecast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    One complaint about Finecast was proven by me to be nonsense, through the inadvisable application of several beers, a Liche Priest model, and a very hot oven.

In short, it doesn't melt. Indeed, I would wager it stands up to very, very hot tempratures better than metal models....
    I dunno. Sure my Archon is still going strong, but I had a Venomthrope tip over by just standing up in a hot car. Due to tipping over like he was made of rubber, he earned the nickname "Señor Contact Lens". It was never the same again. Then it broke. Mystifyingly, I actually had two Venomthropes sitting in that hot car. Why only one of them went floppy I still don't know, but I suspect that not all Finecast is created equal. I am looking forward to that new plastic Zoan/Venom kit, if only because the grey plastic is more consistently solid.

Chapter-Master

When I first started wargaming, I really wanted metal models. I wanted the tactile experience of *clonk*ing my model on the table. Then I had to assemble my first big metal model, I think it was a warjack...

I now know that plastic and resin are superior.

That said, when it comes to Finecast, I have been known to try to track down the metal versions when possible or snap them up when I know they're going out of print. I've had some bad experiences with Finecast, and so has nearly everyone I know in my FLGS community. I avoid it when possible.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

I do not buy fine cast. its appaling. My friend brought manglar squigs which looked amazing, but distorted in his house in summer (in uk so not even overly hot). i dont understand how they can get it so wrong when other companies are casting in resin and its fine.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast