BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Forget characters - I pity anyone who tries to get into Eldar these days. Bought a box of Striking Scorpions about a year ago, and not a single one was usable. Three GW replacement boxes later, and I was still only halfway towards a single decent six-man unit. Finally just broke down and got a box from one of the Russian recasters for half the price. Perfect casts the whole way through.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    When I first started wargaming, I really wanted metal models. I wanted the tactile experience of *clonk*ing my model on the table. Then I had to assemble my first big metal model, I think it was a warjack...

I now know that plastic and resin are superior.
    When I put together my Seether, I nicknamed it Brock. Because he was from Pewter City.

Chapter-Master

I used to be a metal avenger fan - but I've not had an issue with finecast. working on the models is a lot easier and I don't have to deal with using a jewelers' saw to do conversions.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

I buy metal miniatures instead of finecast. I still prefer plastic miniatures over metal miniatures, though.

when the wracks were first released, the guy in store had to open 5 boxes of them just to find 5 models that were acceptable to sell to me. since then no failcast for me. i was lucky as i grabbed a metal archon and Urien before they went out of stock

Battle-Brother

I personnely prefer plastic, and finecast over metal, I've only have had one bad fincast figure out of the 50 or so that I own, yeah when they first released finecast there where a lot of complaints mainly wracks, and blood angel characters, but now we haven't had any problems with it at my local store, but would love it when aspect warriors are in plastic

Chaplain

I wonder how many of the people who complain bitterly about the failure rate of Finecast when it first appeared and still refuse to buy it now own an Xbox 360?

Urgh, metal was a nightmare. Top-heavy, you had to pin everything that was at all large, so easy to chip, never joined well with plastic... Thank god for modern mostly-plastic-with-some-Finecast!
    Last edited by miteyheroes; 11-08-2014 at 07:54 AM.
    http://miteyheroes.blogspot.com/ - My 40k Blog: Adeptus Mechanicus, Imperial Guard Grots, Conversions, Battle Reports and more.

Every medium has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Plastic does not look as good and doesn't have the same amount of fine detail as resin or metal.
    Plastic is far easier to work with and paint.
    Resin is the most detailed medium but tends to have more quality problems.

For
    Bigs kits, rank and file troops = Give me plastic.
    Weapons and arms = Plastic or resin
    Elites more and more detailed models = I'd like resin or metal.
    HQs and Limited edition = I'd like metal or resin never plastic.

Can you imagine how people would react if the government started making plastic coins? Metal has more raw value and will always do so.
    Rogue Trader since 1991.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    For me, in order of preference?

Plastic, Finecast, Resin, Metal.

Metal is a horrible material to work with, and those who claim to have never had a warped or otherwise miscast piece are, uh...being selective with the truth, and forgetting such joys as buying a model, having to straighten a bit bent in the blister, only to have it snap off, requiring time with a pin drill, greenstuff and brass rod to correct.
    I've had the problem over the years with Metal figures myself, in fact I own a squad of 2nd Edition Legion of the Damned, and two of the metal figures helmets are all squashed up, I got them from a charity shop though for couple of quid so I can't complain

I can't comment on Finecast, since none of my armies use characters which have been made in Finecast (the benifit of having a Spacemarine army that's one of the obscure chapters)

I do have resin parts made by third party companies for adding character or converting models, and they on general have been very good, Mostly Maxmini and Micro Art stuff...
    Last edited by Darren Richardson; 11-08-2014 at 04:34 PM.
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast