BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Battle-Brother

Firestorm Armada commission number two. There are Kedorians, which will be painted to the "shining cities in space" theme again, an Omnidyne Dreadnought, and a small number of Syndicate ships.

Battle-Brother

And here we are with the Omnidyne Dreadnought.

And here, the Great White Fleet launches into the void.

The last of this Firestorm Armada commission comes to a close. The Syndicate fleet is complete. Inspired by the theme of “American Great White Fleet” and retro show cars, these ships have an off-white glossy finish that I think is quite shnazzy. The battleship will be the centrepiece of the fleet, so I did some blending of white as well as bone shading all along the hull of the ship. Unfortunately, it doesn’t show up too well in the pictures (white on off-white). But the shading of the brass features does! The Syndicate cruisers got highlights along their hulls to help accentuate the off-white instead.

I used the Winsor & Newton gloss varnish finisher on these. It was my first time working with a water-based oil paint, but I think it ultimately worked out. Got the shine I was looking for.

I left out the fighters when putting on the varnish, because I felt they didn’t have the same retro style or feel as their parent ships. Also, they are very tiny and adding gloss could have obscured some detail.

Battle-Brother

Totally forgot to post pictures of the assembled models before I started painting. Unfortunately, the Aquan Prime dreadnought is missing the piece that attaches the ship to the rods, so I am waiting for that to come in. However, the two defence groups are assembled and the Syndicate battlegroup is stripped, all ready to get painted. The Oroshan Imperium group has already been painted.

I went for a more saturated colour scheme for the Oroshan because I wanted them to have a more lively feel. Besides, reading the lore, the Oroshan have many varieties of hair colours and I imagine them to look like humanoid lions without snouts and noses. The box colour scheme is purple and a sickly yellow look. I went for a lion’s mane or healthy savannah grass kind of yellow and kept the purple bits.

If the Oroshan ships look front-heavy, that’s because they are. Very much so. Particularly the dreadnought. It sits well in the pictures though!

Also, I got new photo backdrops. Love the look of them. Really a step up from the improvised two-piece black one I had. I only got these 2 colours, but I think they will do for now.

Battle-Brother

Continuing on with the commission, I have completed the Syndicate cruisers. Like the last commission, I finished the ships with a varnish coat and set the colour scheme as the American Great White Fleet.

Battle-Brother

Next are the Directorate defence ships. I was asked to copy the Syndicate scheme on these. I think it works very well. The red really pops on the battlestation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12