BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Imperial aircraft to conplement Grey Knights

Hi,

With all the aerial threats and heavy armor i am forced to face with my Grey Knights i was thinking of getting some air superiority and/or armor busting aircraft to aid my Grey Knights in the struggle.

I am aiming for unbound list, without any petty limitations for objective securing nonsense (since GK are all about get in - eliminate threat - get out )

I don't have rules for other aircart than GK StormRaven and AM vendetta, but acquiring rules (legally) isn't problem if the units are useful.

So going with unit saturation, i am after a pair of flyers that could fill the mentioned role and given the high-end price of GK units in general, these should (if at all possible) be 100-150pts a piece.

Any advice?

not sure about the points cost but how about something like this

[url]http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine_Aircraft/STORM_EAGLE.html[/url]

or this [url]http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine_Aircraft/FIRE_RAPTOR_GUNSHIP.html[/url]

with a link to the rules here at 220 points its a bit expensive but it does look to have a chunk of fire power and it fits the space marine asthetick.
    [url]http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/F/fire-raptor.pdf[/url]

hope this helps a little
    Last edited by wayne williams; 11-12-2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: more info

First-Captain

the Fire Raptor, while quite deadly, doesn't fit what Wildcard wanted - armor busting. It's quite bad at that...
    A Storm Eagle can be kitted out to kill most anything with an armor value, but that gets pricey, FAST. ~300pts for two TL Lascannonand a TL Multimelta to kill armor with, plus the Vengeance Launcher killing swathes of infantry via PotMS. Or, depending on your needs, go Roc Pattern for the full armor busting fun of another four TL Krak missiles instead of the Vengeance launcher. plus it's a big transport, and quite the tough cookie to take down. so maybe one of these instead of two cheap things might be what you want...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

true but i could not find rules for the storm eagle and i like to give a choice whenever i can personally id be more inclined to take a knight for the armour busting and a cheep flyer to keep the skies clear above your units.

maybe this or an avenger [url]http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Navy/VOSS_PATTERN_LIGHTNING_STRIKE_FIGHTER.html[/url]
    Last edited by wayne williams; 11-12-2014 at 12:29 PM. Reason: more info

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by wayne williams View Post
    true but i could not find rules for the storm eagle and i like to give a choice whenever i can personally id be more inclined to take a knight for the armour busting and a cheep flyer to keep the skies clear above your units.

maybe this or an avenger [url]http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Navy/VOSS_PATTERN_LIGHTNING_STRIKE_FIGHTER.html[/url]
    Lightnings are cheap, but for me they just don't have the oomph to be worth it all that much - it's on the upper end of Wildcard's price range for an autocannon and a TL lascannon on a platform that falls apart as soon as you look at it funny...
    the Avenger is certainly neat, but at least for me it fills the exact same role as the Fire Raptor: a Strike Fighter for clearing infantry and maybe some light vehicles... for air superiority it lacks the accuracy I think - BS3 and non twin linked weapons make it hard to reliably to much of anything once you shoot at tougher things than Eldar wet tissue paper fliers... might be good to know what the OP regularly plays against here - if it's mostly AV10 fliers and light vehicles the Fire Raptor and to an extent the Avenger look a lot more appealing all of a sudden, and then the StormTalon joins the mix as well with lots of mid-strength shots for very cheap... For tougher targets it's a lot harder though, at least in the price range you wanted... best idea I've got there would be the ever reliable Vendetta, even if that's a bit over your limit.
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Chapter-Master

Space Wolf Stormwolf transport. For 15 points less than a stock LR you get 12/12/12, TL lascannon, 2x TL MultiMeltas, a TL frostcannon and also a 15 capacity assault vehicle.

Battle Brothers with Grey knights as well.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Thanks for all the ideas thus far!

About the list i generally have run/intend on running (or will if the points for the game are high enough):
    - Imperial Knight Titan with Meltagunvariation (funnily forgot the name)
    - Atleast 2x Nemesis Dreadknights wit teleeporter, h.psycannon, sword
    - Terminators (whenever i feel lucky not to lose em on massed ap2 )
    - Purifiers

- I also got 2x stormravens, 2x landraiders, 2x dreadnoughts, 3 razorbacks, 3rd. NDK, plus plenty of HQ models to get pretty much any combo desirable.

The points cap is most of the time a problem for me, a joke generally accepted in our group..Hence i was after an affordable choice of air superiority.

What i expect to encounter:

- Chaos:both chaos marines and daemons. Flying Daemon princes and land raider(s), and all the new stuff from the newest imperial armour (warmachines of lost and damned ). It has those storm Eagles and fire raptor or equivalents, and those dirt cheap air superiority fighters. Also Sicaran Battle Tank is something that worries me

- Blood Angels: storm raven, land speeders, land raiders
    - Eldar: wave serpents, wave serpents and wraith guard to ruin my NDKs and Imperial Knight
    - Orks: Most commonly lootas in battlewagons and those new artilery pieces with ap2 blasts. and killakans - a lots of em
    - Highly unlikely but not 100% out of the question: Necrons, Tau, Dark Angels with unknown force compositions.

Since you're going Unbound anyway... do you feel the need to restrict yourself to an Imperial vehicle?

A Crimson Hunter is 160pts for four BS4, S8, SP2 shots, two of which are Lance. Upgrading it to BS5 is another 20. I don't think there are many fliers quite so suited to murdering vehicles, though the Voidraven tries really hard.

Well, i try not to "pick the best from every race" - hence i initially asked only for imperials.. That said i've thought about the possibility of getting tau heavy suits (broadsides?)to function as "high tech devastators".

I would also like every unit to look like they belonged seamlessy to the army, so atleast some modification and kitbashing would probably be required.. Not bad idea tho!

First-Captain

Mechanicum always tends to help with that... they build enough weird stuff to allow you to take more or less any kind of rules and have a "counts as" AdMech contraption of it... for the Eldar fliers maybe something spindly, kind of like their Krios tank isn't armored but shielded... and if you want Broadsides you could maybe use the Castellax as a base...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast