BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My 3D printer experiences

So for a few months I’ve been trying to find time to get to use the local library’s 3D printers. I took a very basic class on how to use the tinkercad system and get stuff from thingiverse. So after a while I got to play around, printed out a marine bike (the rider didn’t work out)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_neyalvtaHk1qcu9k1o1_250.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	11786

and then moved on to try a little costume piece (I have a rosarius now in case I can put a cosplay together)

Name:	tumblr_neyalvtaHk1qcu9k1o2_250.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	11787

and decided I want to try fielding a Leman Russ Annihilator so I checked to see if maybe anyone had designed one (they hadn’t) but someone did have a blank turret under a creative commons license that I could modify. I then found a “not a dreadnought” lascannon assembly that was easily rescaled to fit it, then a few other odds and ends and I had a workable, printable in under 3 hours, turret (just add Russ body). Just needed a little sanding, then primed and painted (note: I am not a pro painter, not the greatest, etc)

Name:	tumblr_neyalvtaHk1qcu9k1o3_250.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	11788

Name:	tumblr_neyalvtaHk1qcu9k1o4_250.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	11789

So anyway I saw an article on BoLS about 3D printing and I put my comments up on it and noticed an hour later, my comments were gone. Weird how that was. Then I listened to the latest podcast from the BoLS crew and had a few points I wished to make.

"but it looks bad" - some 3D printed stuff does look horrible. There are many models out there that really are not well done but they are done by amateurs so they can’t be expected to be perfect. And I have yet to see a good 28mm character model but vehicles are just fine if people remember to print in better than .3mm resolution (all of the above were in .2mm) and sand the ridges that you see. I’ve seen many MANY 3D prints where it looks like there was no post-cleaning of the model and it went straight to paint (sometimes I wonder if primer was used too-EECK!) when like any mini, there is some cleaning to be done. Just think of it as removing mold lines-it needs done and when you smooth it out even a little it looks way better.

"It’s not GW official" or variant argument - Have you used or willingly played against someone using a proxy? Or using 3rd party bitz or conversion pieces? Would you feel the same way about 3D printing if it were just being used for generic bitz or would you really be offended by it? What if I went to a 3D design program, printed a combi-weapon or custom shoulder pads, then cast it and made many copies in resin and sold them just like 3rd party companies do? Is printing my own so different?

The day printers get into the .05 resolution range and become affordable in the household things are going to change in the gaming industry to where miniature sales as we know it will be completely altered. I actually look forward to the day when I could spend $100 on a license to print as many of 1 model (say, a single space marine) as I want and I think someday that’s how things will be. For now, it’s still an experimental hobbyist realm for people to play in but given time it will be the future in nearly every home.

Name:	tumblr_neyalvtaHk1qcu9k1o5_250.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	11790

Not pictured: The Warhound I printed the head of but need to get back to printing the rest of. This could take a really long time.
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

In general, I agree with a lot of the points the OP makes. We aren't going to see 3d printed whole models in the near future... at least not "Print in one piece" whole models. We will see combi-bolters, shoulderpads, etc.

Any chance of some large photos? Thanks for taking the time to try this out and write it up.

A "beta version" of this post plus more pictures and more 40k related work can be found under the 40K tag of my tumblr [URL="http://inquisitorpsyduck.tumblr.com/tagged/40K"]http://inquisitorpsyduck.tumblr.com/tagged/40K[/URL] this includes bigger versions of the above pictures.
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Cool. I like your stuff. Keep us posted on your 3d printing adventures!
    Never enough time to do nothing.

Thanks for the link to your larger pics.

Got sidetracked with life then SOMETHING ELSE sidetracked

Namely, the base situation.

So therefore

Name:	tumblr_nfxckwBWf31qcu9k1o1_1280.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	11942

Got a batch printing now, with the intent to cast so they can be more rapidly made.

The latest project: try to make an up to date version of the original Sentinel design. You know-the egg.

Now finished up and available in scout and armoured versions.

Name:	2015-01-18 12.06.47.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	294.1 KB 
ID:	12506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-01-18 21.15.33.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	12507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-01-23 20.35.08.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	12508Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-01-24 17.36.55.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	262.2 KB 
ID:	12509Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-01-24 17.37.07.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	12510

I went though a number of prototypes and had to make several print adjustments before coming up with a final version that worked and I was happy with.

Having the flu these past few days has slowed me down from doing much more besides looking at Harlie rumors.

Anyway, this walker is up on [URL="http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:649867"]thingiverse[/URL] now.

I know that Forge World is definitely experimenting with 3D printers. Painting up my Archmagos model, you could definitely see where the 3D printer had been layering away.

Gotta say, they're miles ahead of the consumer market.

Chapter-Master

Commercial 3d printers capable of extremely high resolution have been around for a while. They've just been too expensive for consumer use, so if you weren't a modeling studio or something you wouldn't have access to one.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast