BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Our standard is usually like 6th ed. no real restrictions save for super heavys and the allied chart. our thing is if you can afford it in your list then you're giving up somewhere else

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    lol! You really only need 3 WS + some MSU bikes to ruin the day for the majority of other builds. 6 is just overkill.
    What's 'need' got to do with it! heh!
    I think I actually only brought 5 Wave Serpents. Mostly to deal with horde armies and flyers.

- - - Updated - - -

Back on topic a bit.
    I have been bringing Fortifications in my tournament lists, mostly Vengeance Weapon Batteries as they scoring units. Deploy them within 3" of one of more objectives and let my army grab the others.
    Many people have been crying foul on this, mostly because they are unaware that Buildings are scoring.
    So there is talk of not allowing Buildings in future tournaments at some of our local stores.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Camden Poole View Post
    I believe it says in the rule book that parent codices can't ally with themselves or their supplements. The store I play at allows only one detachment and just started allowing formations, but my TO is taking his time with 7th ed.
    It was that in 6th. 7th is different. The Allied Detachment is a specific FOC that is not allowed to be the same Faction/Codex/Space Marine Trait as the Primary Detachment (i.e. the Warlord's, whatever their FOC is).

In 7th, you can have any number of Detachments of any type and any size (provided House Rules do not change this), and they can be from any Faction. The only exceptions to this are like the Allied Detachment, they specifically state that they cannot be the same as the Primary.

*This of course assumes that there aren't other factors in play, like tournament restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    I can't remember about dataslates. It wasn't about factions per se. It was about were a publication relies on a main codex and only has 1 or 2 entries of its own. To stop you using them together to get 4 of one unit whereas with one codex you would only get 3. Like I said, something from 6th.
    Formations all rely on a codex to provide their units, doesn't matter if they come from Dataslates, Supplement, or Codex. They are Detachments in their own right, and as such rely on the Ally rules to define their relationship with other Detachments, even the codex they glean their units from.

When it comes to this, the only difference between a Formation and a Role Detachment like Combined Arms or Allied, is the first is defined by the specific units it carries and the second is defined by the Roles it carries.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by JMichael View Post
    What's 'need' got to do with it! heh!
    I think I actually only brought 5 Wave Serpents. Mostly to deal with horde armies and flyers.

- - - Updated - - -

Back on topic a bit.
    I have been bringing Fortifications in my tournament lists, mostly Vengeance Weapon Batteries as they scoring units. Deploy them within 3" of one of more objectives and let my army grab the others.
    Many people have been crying foul on this, mostly because they are unaware that Buildings are scoring.
    So there is talk of not allowing Buildings in future tournaments at some of our local stores.
    What makes you think Buildings score? Buildings aren't units, and can change hands simply by being occupied by an opposing unit.

SJ

Quote Originally Posted by jeffersonian000 View Post
    What makes you think Buildings score? Buildings aren't units, and can change hands simply by being occupied by an opposing unit.

SJ
    Probably the fact that the fortifications book says that buildings you purchase count as claimed buildings and claimed buildings score, but that's just my guess. And how do you occupy a vengeance weapon battery?

Chaplain

This argument has been had before and he's right.

We've a few different 1's

One was 1000 no allies no formations no fortifications

1500 anything that's allowed was last years area CGN format

1750 main force plus 1 ally which can be a Legion of the damned, inquisition assassins, Imperial Knight (Max 1) etc no fortifications & allies had some restrictions can't remember the exact wording but it stopped Tau Farsight Allying with Tau Empire.

The best players were on the top tables at all 3 events the main difference was the total nosedive in entries for the CGN anything goes tourney as after year before people were reluctant to enter due to the amount of non games that happened where people with average normal armies were just getting wiped out in couple of turns.

I'm unsure of whats happening in the future a load of people have moved off 40k who used to be involved and these were tail end of 6th with only the 1750 1 being in 7th.

The general feeling in our club is a lack of willingness to engage in mass spending to merely revamp their armies to not get rolled over in a mini Apocalypse style showdown and 6th ally shenanigans really killed the game for a lot of people as far as competitive play goes.

I think the future has to be in a lot more diversity in the type / scope of Tournaments that are run so that we have a full range of units allowed in 1 system running alongside restricted or escalating single codex competitions for those who aren't into the latest big toys.

The biggest change we will see tho is the adoption of escalating missions everyone I've talked to wants this incorporated into the competition scoring and are looking at the excellent work that the ForgeTheNarrative guys have done for inspiration (or just lifting and using).

I have heard the Highlander format (see: [url]http://www.frontlinegaming.org/las-vegas-open-hotel-booking/las-vegas-open-2015-warhammer-40k-highlander-tournament/[/url]) seems to be catching on in places. It kinda screws some armies more than others, but seems fun in general. Marines are generally best off because of their force org tricks they can pull (combat squads, etc.) and those armies who have good basic troops are a little more advantaged, but it does limit the spam potential somewhat. Personally I haven't played it, but it might be fun to try.

I find it hilarious that anyone genuinely believes a bunch of local untested home-brewed house rules (which is what tournament "restrictions" amount to being) are capable of making this train-wreck of a game anything resembling "balanced".

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by terminus View Post
    I find it hilarious that anyone genuinely believes a bunch of local untested home-brewed house rules (which is what tournament "restrictions" amount to being) are capable of making this train-wreck of a game anything resembling "balanced".
    Minus a massive rewrite they can't, but they do unbalance it in new and unusual ways which has an entertainment value all of its own!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast