BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question What are common tournament restrictions with the current 40k edition?

This edition of 40k is a lot more crazier in standard games then any before it. Lords Of War, Formations even Forgeworld units and lists are becoming common place in standard 40k, which can lead to some unbalanced games. Because of this most tournaments are being forced to put in place restrictions to keep tournaments balanced and enjoyable for all attendees. Unbound of course is always banned, even at GW's own Throne Of Skulls.

But the challenge is finding the right level of restrictions, as players can be put off by restrictions as much as the idea of fighting an Eldar Titan or 1000pt C'tan.

So what restrictions have the non-gw tournaments you've attended had in place and what did you think of them?
    A LOG OF LOYAL SORCERERS & REBEL GRETCHIN!

Banned

At my LGS, we sometimes used the [URL="http://www.frontlinegaming.org/community/bay-area-open-2014/bao-tournament-format/"]Bay Area Open[/URL]'s format. We sometimes also have 1000 points tournaments that only require 3 Elites, Fast Attack, or Heavy Support. We also have doubles where both provide 1000 points each, and have 1 HQ and 1 Troop requirement.

In all cases, they usually limit them to 2 Detachment Battle-Forged for "standard"-sized games.

I haven't kept up with them in a while, and they don't post their calender, though.

Chapter-Master

The only real standard restriction is to limit you to two detachments, which generally cannot be duplicates. That's really about it.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

The "Two Source" limit seems to be the most common, followed by specific point limits. 1500 and 1850 are still pretty standard most places.

SJ

Chapter-Master

I go to one organised by a regular ToS player. His club restrict codexes allying with their parent codex. So no Chaos/Black Legion. I think this is to stop spam ie 4 Heldrakes, 4 Tau suits etc.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    I go to one organised by a regular ToS player. His club restrict codexes allying with their parent codex. So no Chaos/Black Legion. I think this is to stop spam ie 4 Heldrakes, 4 Tau suits etc.
    What about supplements that specifically state they can Allie with their faction's main codex? Kind if seems a but too arbitrary to me.

SJ

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    So, in other words, no two Detachments from the same Faction. For Ally rules affect not just those of Allied Detachments, but the relationship between any two detachments, even Formations.

So, technically, this means that Space Marines cannot take Stormwing. Very interesting...

In my area, the only restrictions are points and no Forgeworld. You can use Forgeworld models as proxies for models in a Games Workshop codex but no special rules.

Our best players that usually win the tournys are battle forged armies that come straight out of the codex.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

What you'll find is that the best players are the best players, and will tend to win regardless of what sort of army comp rules are in place.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

My local Tournie is no limitations. 2k pts. going to be a scary cheesy year this year. :P

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast