BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by terminus View Post
    I find it hilarious that anyone genuinely believes a bunch of local untested home-brewed house rules (which is what tournament "restrictions" amount to being) are capable of making this train-wreck of a game anything resembling "balanced".
    Man, you're a bit of sunshine.

The points of your argument:

1. Local - Sure.
    2. Untested - The rule changes may or may not be tested. These changes likely come about because there have been a lot of games with predictable results.
    3. Home-brewed - In the Internet age, it's hard to believe that most tournament rules are exclusively developed without outside influence, especially since the RTs are so influential on LGSs tournaments.
    4. House-rules - Sure. Even the main rule book encourages playing how you enjoy playing the game.

5. Train-wreck - That's just one opinion. In my LGS, and every LGS I've visited, 40k is by far and away the biggest seller and most played miniature game on the shelf.
    6. "Balanced" - Every game is unbalanced, even chess when black gets to go first.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

The current rule set is just a set of tools to create the game you want

At home we play Maelstrom with a load of what would be regarded as restrictions, the games pretty close and good fun with enough randomness to get you out of your cozy chair.

If we had open season on Fortifications, Lords of War, Multiple CAD, Forge World, unlimited formations, Super Heavy's we'd have a very different game not suited to what we as group want.

The rulebook allows for all the above but if you want to play/construct a game scenario round it you need to be doing it with like minded players with the missions that suit otherwise your in to processional match ups where 1 guy throws lots of dice and the other does nothing more than remove models with little to no engagement.

The biggest issue Tournaments have is finding out who their target audience is the one size fits all just doesn't work

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345