BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Chaos Dwarfs

Brother-Sergeant

Default Chaos Dwarfs

I'm converting my own Chaos Dwarf army and just wanted to get some ideas of what some of you may think of how to create a K'daai Destroyer. I was thinking of using a Balrog model but doesn't seem to come across right. Also while I'm at it those who know should I go with Blunderbuss or Fireglaives? Thank you!

Balrog is one common option, but others include Stonehorn, Slaughterbrute, Ghorgon, and Maulerfield, all of which can work well depending on the look you want.

Check out the Infernal Golem of Kashan Vra from [URL="http://www.titan-forge.com/fantasy_miniatures_sons_of_kashan_vra_infernal_gol em_of_kashan_vra"]Titan-Forge[/URL].

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by marful View Post
    Check out the Infernal Golem of Kashan Vra from [URL="http://www.titan-forge.com/fantasy_miniatures_sons_of_kashan_vra_infernal_gol em_of_kashan_vra"]Titan-Forge[/URL].

wow I'm surprised that thing can even stand up, look at the size of the base compared to the top, it's way too top heavy....
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Richardson View Post
    wow I'm surprised that thing can even stand up, look at the size of the base compared to the top, it's way too top heavy....
    LOL, the base size is a bit ridiculous for that model. But you have to agree that it's an awesome model and fits the description for K'Daai Destroyers.

I've seen a warmachine warjack turned into a pretty nice K'Daii destroyer. Don't remember which one.

Saw this recommended as a potential K'daii:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kdaii.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	12318

I haven't really had any problems using Balrogs as K'daai Destroyers. I use two of them in my army, usually around 3000-5000 points.

I also use hordes of 30 infernal guard with blunderbusses and sometimes fireglaives instead. I have found better useage for shooting with the fireglaives, and they do Str 5 at initiative. They do pretty good damage to ogres, especially with a flaming banner and ashstorm on the target ogre unit in melee. My problem is that I usually run an infernal castellan in my 30 man units, and use them to hold flanks. So I don't get the re-roll to wound with blunderbusses since I have less than 20 men firing blunderbusses. I am not saying you can't run blunderbusses and fireglaives in smaller units, because you can. I just do better playing hordes. My main combat block of chaos dwarves is usually just hand weapon and shield, and I run 50 of them. In large games, I will use ironsworn at 50 men and two thirty man units of fireglaives.

If you are looking for a horde to withstand ironguts or troll hordes, you are probably going to need 50 great weapons or fireglaives to do the job. Usually I just throw my horde of bull centaurs after ironguts, and get into a knock down fight. It really depends on what you want the fireglaives or blunderbusses for. Going beyond twenty models means you sacrifice shooting for the number of ranks. I have found either works fine for holding flanks.

In tonights game that I played against a friend at 5000 points of chaos dwarves vs. regular dwarves, I used a thirty man horde of blunderbusses to be used as my reserve behind a wall of monsters. They didn't really see much action, other than killing a gyrocopter, but had the monsters been destroyed, they would have been there to mop up.

I kind of went ahead recklessly tonight with two skullcrackers and two k'daii destroyers against a fifty man horde of hammerers. There were a crap ton of characters in the dwarf unit along with Joseph Bugman. One K'daai destroyer lost combat and was unstable by the dwarf counter-charge, and they charged into one of the skullcrackers at Str 7 in the following mine turn. I had the other K'daai destroyer charge the hammerers in the flank. I had to re-route the other skullcracker to turn slightly towards the hammerers. The dwarf player preceeded to kill the skullcracker, and then do four instability wounds on the charging destroyer. On his turn, the dwarf player missed a charge to tie up the skullcracker with his gyrocopter, and decided not to reform to face the front on the destroyer. That would have won him the center during the fight. When it came my turn, I had the other skullcracker charge the hammerers, and I wound up grinding down that super unit of hammers to less than nine men, before my dwarf opponent resigned.

I like monster blitzes, but clearly they have to be coordinated well to fight the uber combat blocks of dwarves. My monsters almost didn't do the job, but I lucked out. Clearly str 7 on the charge carries a lot of momentum for dwarves, and I am going to be more wary because of it.