BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Love Live Sunshine is my big one.
    Strange transition from u's to Aqours, but a promising start, the animation is stellar. Honk and the gang are still strong in my heart though.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chapter-Master

Orange sounds interesting, and no doubt I'l end up seeing the tales of zestria one.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Watched the first episode of Preacher last night, very good start, interested to see where it goes. <3 Ruth Negga
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

I got into Preacher back in '97. Loved the comics as they were coming out, but then, they were something I'd never read before, and honestly, they've very much Garth Ennis kind of figuring out the kind of stories he wants to tell. Looking back with my nostalgia goggles off, they're still pretty fun, but they're not brilliant any more. There's a lot of really juvenile shock-nonsense in there masquerading as awesome, as well as a really excellent core story about three friends, and how one of them is just a fairly horrible person. There's some interesting attempts at a kind of proto-feminist character with Tulip that sometimes works and oftentimes doesn't. But it does manages to do something really unique with the vampire metaphor, which honestly, nothing else I've really read before has managed. Saint of Killers is pretty great, although kind of too overpowered to be as awesome as he could be. Jody remains one of the greatest villains of all time, though, so that's good.

Overall, I don't know if I'd recommend 'Preacher' the comic any more; certainly not to anyone older than 21 or so. It's kind of too juvenile these days; Ennis has done much better work with stuff like his nine-year run on 'Punisher'. The TV series hasn't been bad so far; it's felt a bit like it was slipping into 'Walking Dead' season 2 territory, with never leaving the damn farm, but the latest episode suggests that might change. Overall, I'm hopeful the series will manage to translate to something like an American version of 'Misfits', the UK series about superpowered ASBO teens, which was pretty much 'Preacher's inheritor (and one of the reasons Joe Gilgun's casting is so excellent).
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Up to episode four of Preacher (as in watched the first three), it's definitely growing on me, very violent but very funny and it doesn't take itself seriously.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

well after week 1,

winners -
    Berserk - Always great to see brutal and gritty fantasy anime like this, too little of it but it makes me want Claymore back even more.
    91 Days - Period setting, realism, actual adult characters (wow!), seems promising.
    The Morose Mononokean - reminded me of XXXholic and Natsume's book of friends. I love stuff about Yokai. Seems like a cute chill anime.
    Relife - Wasn't sure about it, but I ended up marathoning the whole thing and enjoyed it. Was worried it would be creepy/pervy ecchi rubbish but fortuantly didn't have anything of the sort.

Losers -
    Hybrid x Heart Magias Academy Ataraxia - utter s**t, typical lame male-fantasy fullfillment tripe. This is the sort of embarassing rubbish that gives anime a bad name.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Chapter-Master

Ok, this is utterly bonkers. It seemed like a mix of a Gerry Anderson puppet show (captain scarlet, thunderbirds ect) in the form of a japanese fantasy sword fighting show. Utterly crazy. I kinda liked it. the practical fx were nuts.

[url]http://www.crunchyroll.com/thunderbolt-fantasy/episode-1-code-of-umbrellas-716075[/url]
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Chapter-Master

Are they BJDs?

post edit

Yes, yes they are. That's kinda awesome.

Chapter-Master

BJDs? Am unfamiliar with that that is...

I can't wait for the 2nd season of The Expanse. I loved the first season, proper hard SF and explored the Kuiper belt and such which is something Id wanted to see for ages. It only got better too IMO - looks like the next season is getting a strong female lead too!!

Frankie Adams will be playing Bobbie :

[url]http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/the-expanse-season-2/42161/the-expanse-season-2-first-look-at-bobbie-draper[/url]

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    BJDs? Am unfamiliar with that that is...
    Ball jointed dolls. A resin collecting hobby that makes us look sane.
    I was mistaken though, they're only styled the same, apparently the joints are moving too freely for them to stop motion BJDs.

Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast