BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Doom+Psychic Shriek?

Hi!

A question...if i Doom a unit first and then use Psychic Shriek on them, can i re-roll the 3d6 to wound, if i fail the first roll? In the description of the Psychic Shriek it says : " Roll 3d6 and subtract the target´s LD - the target unit suffers a number of WOUNDS equal to the result. "

and the Doom states " all failed TO WOUND rolls made against the target can be re-rolled whilst the power is in effect. "

What do you think? Cos even if that Doomed unit goes through dangerous terrain, it has to re-roll the test. IMHO, this could be applied to the PS too...

- Lost Vyper
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE
    DO I HAVE WITH A DESTROYER"

You're not rolling to wound, you're doing a leadership test. Being able to reroll that seems like pushing the boundaries as to what is and isn't a to wound roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Vyper View Post
    Hi!

A question...if i Doom a unit first and then use Psychic Shriek on them, can i re-roll the 3d6 to wound, if i fail the first roll? In the description of the Psychic Shriek it says : " Roll 3d6 and subtract the target´s LD - the target unit suffers a number of WOUNDS equal to the result. "

and the Doom states " all failed TO WOUND rolls made against the target can be re-rolled whilst the power is in effect. "

What do you think? Cos even if that Doomed unit goes through dangerous terrain, it has to re-roll the test. IMHO, this could be applied to the PS too...

IMO a "to wound roll" should be defined and limited in scope to determining whether or not a hit from a shooting or melee attack actually causes a wound. In this narrow definition, Psychic Shriek, Perils of the Warp, Dangerous Terrain tests, etc. would not apply.

Edit: looking up some specifics in the BRB.

- - - Updated - - -

"To Wound" is a capitalized term in the BRB, meaning it is a defined mechanic that is limited in scope. E.g. you cannot say that any roll that potentially causes a wound is a "To Wound" roll; you must follow the strict definitions set forth in the Rulebook.

In the Shooting Phase section, a "To Wound" roll is explicitly defined as a roll used to determine whether or not a hit causes a wound and specifically by comparing the weapon's Strength to the target's Toughness. Other sections of the rulebook expand this to include certain psychic powers as shooting attacks, create exceptions to the latter portion in regards to poison, etc.

Psychic Shriek's Leadership test fails both definitions required to constituted a "To Wound" roll without creating any exceptions and therefore does not benefit from Doom.
    Last edited by hyudun; 11-17-2014 at 11:13 AM.

It's a bit like claiming it forces your opponent to re-roll Pinning Tests. I.e., it doesn't.

Use Mindshock Pods instead, they actually do this.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Good arguments here. That´s how we (don´t re-) roll then...thanks for the help!
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE
    DO I HAVE WITH A DESTROYER"

hit them with 'horrify' or 'terrify' first ? of course you have to:
    1: get / purchase the power in the first place.
    2: get a model into range and los to use power.
    3: spend warp points to get it off.
    4: avoid being dis-spelled.
    5: avoid 'deny the witch'.

alternatively - just stick with 'super-shroud' and 'invisibility' ;

psychic shriek is primaris for a reason ! [maybe ? ]