BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Pick a change - affects ALL dreadnoughts except Contemptors.

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • FA 14

2 3.77%
  • FA 13

3 5.66%
  • All AVs set to 13

3 5.66%
  • 4 HP

9 16.98%
  • 3 HP

0 0%
  • FA 13, 3 HP

9 16.98%
  • FA 14, SA 13

3 5.66%
  • 5++ invulnerable save

10 18.87%
  • 4++ invulnerable save

5 9.43%
  • No changes

9 16.98%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default A change to Space Marine Dreadnoughts

General internets wisdom says Dreadnoughts aren't survivable enough to be viable.

Taking this to be true, which of the following changes would you make? The points, weapon options, everything else stays the same. What gets changed?

FA = front armour; SA = side armour; HP = hull points; AV = armour values.
    Last edited by YorkNecromancer; 11-20-2014 at 02:54 PM.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Veteran-Sergeant

Hull points really hurt Dreadnoughts and other light vehicles. Giving Dreads the SHW treatment and allowing them to ignore the pen chart would greatly improve their usefulness.

SJ

I think that the points per dread should be lower, as well as adding multiple dreads (perhaps units of 3) per unit selection.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Dreads need more spangle.

They're ancient heroes of their Chapter, but don't inspire those around them, and hav middling stats.

Their weapon systems, once upon a time were relics of the chapter - are now average.

They needs a soup up
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Revisiting the Lucius Pod or coming up with a delivery system to move them across the table could make Dreads more viable. Agree they need a serious buffing... Once they were special, but the game has expanded so much that now they are just tired and old.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

I say no changes. Bring everything else down in power, and get rid of the chrome.

If that doesn't work, bring the points down.

Adding more stuff simply makes the game more of a mess.
    - 40k Eldar, Imperial Guard & Chaos Marines ∙ WFB Dogs of War ∙ WM/H Cryx ∙ BFG Chaos & Imperial Navy -

Chaplain

Agreed. Give 'em a slight point discount and you'd see 'em get some playing time.

Chapter-Master

Dreadnoughts have been getting progressively cheaper and cheaper and cheaper (except for GK dreadnoughts, which with the new codex inexplicably both got significantly worse and significantly more expensive simultaneously) and it hasn't made anyone play them. Give them better armor, give them better weapons, make them good in assault, and they might actually get played.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Librarian

I voted for the 5+ inv cause its seems wacky that terminators have it but they dont, theyre even more awesome and archaic, front armour 13 would also be cool too possibly with ceramite plating rule which the storm-raven has, so it would make sense dreads would have it to take em through rough atmosphere

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan Land View Post
    I voted for the 5+ inv cause its seems wacky that terminators have it but they dont, theyre even more awesome and archaic, front armour 13 would also be cool too possibly with ceramite plating rule which the storm-raven has, so it would make sense dreads would have it to take em through rough atmosphere
    I agree. 5++ standard for every dreadnought variant, along with a rule like "Ancient Arsenal" which makes bullet weapons rending and everything else master crafted or twin-linked-- something like that.

I like the loyalist dreadnought options, with the ability to upgrade to venerable, blood angels/wolfy variants etc. I very much like customizability in a unit.

More than anything else, points cost is the crucial detail. As a CSM player, I'd just be happy if they removed the stupid crazed table and left everything else as-is. We have fancy dreads now via forge world and they're all just way too expensive for what they're capable of, and lack the superior drop pod of the astartes. Did I really just turn this into a poor wittle chaos rant? Whoops...
    Last edited by Venomlust; 11-20-2014 at 11:18 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast