BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Do you summon Daemons in your normal games?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I play Daemons

6 14.63%
  • Yes - regularly

0 0%
  • Yes - sometimes

2 4.88%
  • Yes - rairly

1 2.44%
  • No - because of fluff reasons

17 41.46%
  • No - because of gameplay reasons

9 21.95%
  • No - because of lack of models

7 17.07%
  • No - because it is banned in my local meta

0 0%
  • No - my armies cannot access summoning

12 29.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you summon?

Battle-Brother

Default Do you summon?

It's been 6 months (ish) since 7th hit us.

One of the biggest changes to 7th was the ability for most armies to summon units of daemons to the battlefield mid-game.
    When that was first anounced, many worried it would be game-breaking.

I'm wondering - 6 months later - how much it is used in your daily gaming life.

I haven't seen too many other people use it regularly. It's very tough to do well with so many warp charges needed, not to mention a librarian (for example) might get the power off but he can also Perils to death on one attempt with 2 sets of doubles. Those non-daemon psykers are important for buffing the rest of the army, and often the buffed friendly units are so much more potent than 3 Tzeentch Flamers, or 3 Bloodcrushers who can't assault after being summoned, or even a Bloodthirster who can't assault until 2 turns after it comes in due to being swooping upon deepstrike.

So short of the dedicated daemon spam, which I don't think has been too popular even at tournaments lately, probably won't see it much. GKs with Sanctic however, that has chops (Vortex of Doom is AWESOME!).

The only other really viable way to summon daemons all over with only 2 or 3 detachments (like in tournies) is Eldar who can just get rid of perils attacks by spending a warp charge, of which they have plenty.....or a completely stupid unlimited CAD list with all inquisitors and 2 henchmen/1 psyker squads (unbound of course would be better with just the squads).

Chapter-Master

I've done it successfully with Eldar but to make it work it becomes a very specific army build and can be a bit boring. People absolutely hate it and it usually isn't worth the sportsmanship dings to bother with.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Brother-Captain

I play Dark Eldar so I can't access it without allying, and since my allies would be Eldar and since the fluff states that being a psyker in Commorragh is a ticket to being delivered hogtied to the haemonculi it isn't really feasible for me to do so.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Krungharr View Post
    but he can also Perils to death on one attempt with 2 sets of doubles
    Is this how you do it? I thought you only took one Peril for any given casting attempt, no matter how many different doubles you can pick out of the dice pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    Is this how you do it? I thought you only took one Peril for any given casting attempt, no matter how many different doubles you can pick out of the dice pool.
    perils is only for double or multiple 6's.

and as a PP said farseers are virtually immune as long as you have warp charge remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mcturk View Post
    perils is only for double or multiple 6's.
    Summoning, remember. Daemonology is any double unless you're special.

It's not one I use myself, but then as I play Necrons and (accidentally) Knights, I have no psykers at all!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Morgrim View Post
    I play Dark Eldar so I can't access it without allying, and since my allies would be Eldar and since the fluff states that being a psyker in Commorragh is a ticket to being delivered hogtied to the haemonculi it isn't really feasible for me to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    It's not one I use myself, but then as I play Necrons and (accidentally) Knights, I have no psykers at all!
    Hmm, count me in with the foul Xenos, blast it. I run Black Templar Tactics. We use Witches for telephones, GPS, and barbecues. So, for every reason but the banned in my meta, I do not.

Heck, there's actually a thread on the BT BnC board specifically about tallying up Witch kills, Summoning or not. I've only been able to tally a failure. Stupid Leman Russes.

Pfft, even if I could give my Tyranids access to any one lore from the main rulebook, my first choice would not be the Perils Harder table. The thought of Tyranids and Daemons even fighting against each other is preposterous when you consider the Hive Mind's very presence ought to snuff everything short of a recently-exalted Daemon Prince out of reality.

Besides, summoning Daemons invokes more of a "bubble, bubble, toil and trouble" sort of feel. Tyranids are supposed to be utterly alien. When people refer to "witches" in the context of the 41st millennium, they tend to mean rogue psykers, Chaos Sorcerers, and Eldar. I keep thinking of a Canoness watching as some gurgling, levitating Zoanthrope lightnings all her fellow sisters out of their boots and going "Um... witch? ...This one wasn't in the handbook..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast