BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Court of the disposed archon

Can you take a court of the archon without an archon through use of an hq slot?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowcatX View Post
    Can you take a court of the archon without an archon through use of an hq slot?
    That one's a bit of a grey area without an FAQ. RAW I'd say yes, RAI I'd say probably not meant to.

For one thing it doesn't say you 'must' take an Archon to take them, only that if you do they don't take up a slot.

On the other hand, in most of these cases you find the particular character is a qualifier for the unit in question - ie command squads for HQ's in the Marines, meks for each HQ in the orks and so on.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

I don't have the Codex with me, but there is a qualifying statement that a Court can only be taken if you have an Archon if I recall correctly ("for every Archon you may take 1 Court of the Archon" or similar)

(Note: this is only based on the printed, german version of the codex)

The English version of the codex says that you can take a court that does not take an HQ slot if you have an archon. It doesn't explicitly say you can only take them if you have an archon.

Brother-Sergeant
    Germany, Baden Württemberg, Reutlingen/Tübingen

Well i know the english and the german codex there's a symbol for hq choice in the upper right for the court of the archon and like shadowcat said they have a special rule of not taking up an hq slot when you have an archon.
    there're no further restrictions and the like.

I've been trying to find a ruling on this as I want my army to be led by a crazy group of Medusae, people have argued that rules as written allow you to have an army led by a Court of the Archon without an Archon as long as you let it take up a force organisation slot, however others say rules as intended is that you can't have them lead the army.

What do people think? If I -can- have my army led (without using Unbound) by a group of Medusae, how do I do Warlord traits or such? Does the whole unit get them or would I pick one Medusae to be the boss, or do I not get one?

Brother-Captain

Well, when you have a Court of the Archon it's the archon who is the Warlord, so if you don't have one I feel you wouldn't get a warlord trait. I also suspect that this is something that is going to get FAQed eventually, so you may want to have backup plans involving a mind controlled archon or something. Or a super-medusae counts as HQ, even if none really have fitting rules.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

You can only pick a non-Character model to be your Warlord if you have no other Characters in your army. Note that they don't have to be Independent Characters, just Characters - so a random Sybarite or Hekatrix can be your Warlord.

If you have no Characters, any model can be your Warlord, but they do not get a Warlord Trait.

First and third paragraphs, page 124 of The Rules.

My thought is why would they qualify the 'no slot if you take an Archon' though? I am forced to wonder if in this case having thought about it RAI and RAW are the same; perhaps it was intentional after all. But unless they are characters (or at least 1 of them is) they can't actually be your warlord. Then again, you don't 'have' to take Sybarites or any other characters so...
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Ah this makes sense. To be fair I'm happy to give up the warlord trait if it means I can have a more themed army. Although my main plan is to have a Haemonculus Coven as the primary detachment (led by a Haemonculus with Warlord trait in a formation) with Wracks, Cronos, Talos, Grotesques etc then have my Kabalites and Wyches as a secondary detachment led by the court of Medusae and with no other characters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast