BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rending and Re-rolls on Penetration

Hey guys,

Has this come up in a game when I was using Pask in a Punisher. As you probably know, Pask gives the Punisher cannon Rending, and also has the ability to re-roll Penetration rolls. Rending gives an extra D3 to Penetration on top of the normal D6.

Now, this is a bit awkward to try and work out how to play, because unlike Melta or Armourbane with its standard 2D6 Penetration, you need a result on one dice to decide if you even get to roll the other. Hence you can't just throw both dice down, then re-roll the result if it doesn't get the needed result.

The way I'd interpreted it, was that you would roll the initial D6s, and re-roll any failures as needed, then roll the D3s, re-rolling any failures among them. The way my opponent thought it worked, was that I dealt with the D6s as above, but when re-rolling failed D3s, I had to roll them again as D6s, find any 6s, then roll the D3s on them.

The rulebook's annoyingly absent on any answers to this as far as I can tell. Does anyone have a good answer to how this should be run?
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

I don't normally re-roll the d3s at all. Because:

1. Pask allows a re-roll to pen.

2. The roll to pen is just d6.

3. The d3 is only applicable when 6 is achieved - on the roll to pen. So you can only re-roll the 1d6.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

I concur with Denzark.

Chapter-Master

Me, too.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Cool

I'm going to possibly disagree here. The roll of 1d6 is the roll to pen, no doubt, and that is what is rerolled, however, if you roll a 6 you still roll (effectively rerolling) the d3. You do not reroll the d6 but hold over the d3 roll.

Basically what the opponent said.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowcatX View Post
    I'm going to possibly disagree here. The roll of 1d6 is the roll to pen, no doubt, and that is what is rerolled, however, if you roll a 6 you still roll (effectively rerolling) the d3. You do not reroll the d6 but hold over the d3 roll.

Basically what the opponent said.
    Yes. If you re-roll the penetration die, the d3 result goes away. If you roll a 6, you get to roll a d3 again. If you roll anything else, the d3 result is irrelevant.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    Yes. If you re-roll the penetration die, the d3 result goes away. If you roll a 6, you get to roll a d3 again. If you roll anything else, the d3 result is irrelevant.
    Pretty much how I'd play it, though nice to bring it up as I'd never encountered it not having a punisher.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Brother-Captain

Yeah, you re-roll to pen not to get extra pen. First response is correct.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Veteran-Sergeant

1. Roll all the dice you are allowed to roll i.e. 1D6 or 2D6 or 1D6+D3 on an initial 6 etc.
    2. Add The Strength of the weapon.
    3. Compare to the armour value of the target.
    4. If this bounces off then reroll the dice, ALL the dice so you cannot "bank" the 6 and just reroll your D3.

Chapter-Master

No. The D3 is a rending roll. Pask re-rolls the armour pen. 2d6 on a vanq, 1d6 on everything else. Does not include the d3. Because that is a rending roll.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast