BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Hybrid View

Librarian

My local meta used to be largely about 'caster assassination, but it has shifted with the newer sets of tournament rules. Those are now used, and the scenarios are far more prominent paths to victory (especially at the 50 point level).

At this point, games are largely won through scenario, with 'caster kill on the side.

Personally, I still prefer a 'caster kill force, and that's what I normally play, but I am now the oddball.

www.GardenNinja.com

Maybe set up some form of Victory Point value system when you play. Depending on the scenario, you could have the objectives gives 2 points instead of one and you could designate some units or solos or even all of them as things that give one point when destroyed. Casters' can give 2 points when destroyed but if they are destroyed prematurely, the game ends in a tie. Point limit can be 10 pts instead of 5. I have thought of some ways to play this game with more tact than go forth and destroy the leader in case my group of players starts to feel like this.

I really love this game and its scenarios make for some interesting situations that you don't foresee sometimes, forcing you to change your initial plans. Caster killing is a huge part of the game and is the way this game ends 99% of the time, that's not going to change but you can set up ways to make it not so much about that at your LGS.

Librarian

The 99% of the time 'caster kill has changed. Really, check out the tournament scenarios and start playing them- you'll be surprised at just how good they are at determining victory. If you still have trouble altering your local meta, try using some of the sturdiest warlocks or warcasters (like epic Madrak- he's really hard to kill and you're probably best beating him on scenario).

You don't need to have victory points for units and solos killed (often, it is good strategy to consider some units expendable). Instead, score the points for the reasons in the conditions related to the objective markers- like ending your turn with units or models near the objectives, or damaging the objective markers.

I honestly think that any game becomes more tactical when it isn't about destroying all of the enemies that you see and is about some other objective (even 'caster kill). That way, the game can be in the balance all the way up to the end (rather than one force getting a large advantage early on, and playing it through well past the point where the game's outcome has been decided).

www.GardenNinja.com