BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 12 of 72 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    Personally, I've always been a fan of Wraith Squadron, yub yub.
    You know on some planets its a felony to wear an Ewok Puppet...
    The Dark Angels, The Emperor's First, and Finest!
    A moment of Laxity spawns a lifetime of Heresy

Quote Originally Posted by Aenir View Post
    That will never get old.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    nearly as many times as I've read the bacta war (my favourite xwing book )
    The Bacta War was great. They actually went through some serious steps to take out the enemy, it wasn't some typical deus ex machina stuff or "Jedi did it."

I was a little surprised when the Lusankya showed up in Crimson Empire. Must have cost a fortune to rebuild the thing. You had to re-arm it, rebuild the entire front fifth of the ship, put new engines on it, shield generators, large amounts of the rest of the structure, and strip and replace the dungeon parts of it. So, basically, you had to build a new Super Star Destroyer, with a bit of the original left, just so they could use the name as a symbol.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Aenir View Post
    Fly, fly while performing an ewok puppet show

Though we're probably both wrong, unless you actually looked

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post

The Bacta War was great. They actually went through some serious steps to take out the enemy, it wasn't some typical deus ex machina stuff or "Jedi did it."

I was a little surprised when the Lusankya showed up in Crimson Empire. Must have cost a fortune to rebuild the thing. You had to re-arm it, rebuild the entire front fifth of the ship, put new engines on it, shield generators, large amounts of the rest of the structure, and strip and replace the dungeon parts of it. So, basically, you had to build a new Super Star Destroyer, with a bit of the original left, just so they could use the name as a symbol.
    I've not read Crimson Empire, but I'm pretty sure it being rebuilt was mentioned at end of The Bacta War?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

I've not read Crimson Empire, but I'm pretty sure it being rebuilt was mentioned at end of The Bacta War?
    Don't recall, to be honest. I don't think I have my novels still. I'll have to check at home. (If not, I'm pretty sure that the used bookstore near my workplace has copies of them, so I can just rebuild the set.)

I know Booster kept the ISD he captured, and the one captain turned his ISD over to the New Republic. But the Lusankya was being described as having the entire first fifth of the ship blasted off, all of its weapons had been destroyed (and that's a LOT of weapons), its shields were obviously gone, and the engines were so wrecked that they were barely able to stay in orbit. You have to assume that to get to that point it'd also taken a lot of other damage. And, of course, they wouldn't want to keep the dungeon in there.

In Crimson Empire, the Lusankya shows up in a system with Wedge commanding it, and it's in pristine condition with two giant New Republic crests painted on it (tack on even more money). Looks like Crimson Empire is set four years after The Bacta War, so that's time enough to get the job done. But still, that cost... yikes! Makes it little surprise that in Crimson Empire III, they mention that the New Republic and Empire both are pretty much broke from fighting the war.

There were a lot of inconsistencies like that in the EU.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

It might have been in one of the wraith squadron books. *shrugs* doesn't really matter anyway

Still, it's not inconceivable. I mean the big shipyards like Kuat Drive Yards had shipyards big enough to look like a planetary ring, given industry on that scale refitting an SSD might only take a year or a few months. Ehy they would spend the money on it when finances were tight is another matter. Also I thought Mon Mothma decided no SSDs in the New Republic fleet as a symbolic thing because of their symbolism as an Empire super weapon?
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

I think the refitting is just a matter of will to do it.
    IDK about the Mon Mothma thing about not having them, but I vaguely remember a bit where I think Wedge was talking about how they are expensive to maintain and can be beaten by a significantly smaller force at a high cost to said force, so weren't seen as economical to build.
    I think they'd happily use ones they'd acquired even if they refuse to build them, especially still at that point when the warlords were still running round.

Yup, that's why they used ISDs, but I could have sworn there was a line about not using SSDs, possibly in specific relation to Lusankya.

Banned

It might have been in one of the wraith squadron books. *shrugs* doesn't really matter anyway
    That was the Iron Fist, I believe. Most of their series was focused on taking it down, partly by taking down its support structure.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Still, it's not inconceivable. I mean the big shipyards like Kuat Drive Yards had shipyards big enough to look like a planetary ring, given industry on that scale refitting an SSD might only take a year or a few months. Ehy they would spend the money on it when finances were tight is another matter. Also I thought Mon Mothma decided no SSDs in the New Republic fleet as a symbolic thing because of their symbolism as an Empire super weapon?
    Considering how many Imperial and lesser Star Destroyers they continued to use, that is realpolitik for you.

Especially when you consider an ISD loaded with X-Wing, A-Wing, and B-Wing squadrons is a far more dangerous proposition than an ISD loaded with TIEs.

Page 12 of 72 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast