BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by xxvaderxx View Post
    Do we actually know for CERTAIN that this is for ALL marines or JUST Death Company?
    honestly it looks like it's still up in the air. I had missed the fact that we are now free to choose whatever base we want out of the main rulebook. I'll be converting my fluff scale marines to 32's but I'm going to leave my Howling Griffons on the custom bases I made for them.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

First-Captain

I'll be rebasing at least my existing Jump Pack troops and Ork Nobs on these 32mm Bases, I might actually rebase all the Space Marines, I'm not happy with how I've done them right now, its too bland.

To me, in all honesty, Marines just dont feel worthy of a bigger base. As editions go by T4 sv3+ is becoming ever increasingly more irrelevant. In fact i would venture that the only time that counts for something is actually against other marines.
    -Volume of Fire does not care about your defensive stats, because 6s wound everything and 1s fail everything and their game is making you throw enough dice to roll them.
    -Poison does not care about your defensive stats either, they completely bypass your T and their game is again to make you roll enough save throws to go down.
    -Quality of fire does not care about your defensive stats either, the Taus game is again to wound you easy and make you fail saves, when this is true armywide you will fail those saves.
    -Rending does not care about either your T or your Sv its about rolling 6s, in eldars case, with the additional benefit of s4.
    -Low AP fire does not care about your Sv and it tends to again wound on 3s or better.

This is in part why, cover save went from 4+ to 5+, because lesser units where getting marine like resilience. Which in my opinion should have happened thou is that save throws should be an additional armor save, not replace it. If you are wearing Kevlar and standing behind a door when shot, his bullet has to go throw BOTH, not EITHER.

To sum up, i dont feel marines are worth a bigger base.

First-Captain

I think this could help, at least from the look of it on the table, for marines to look more impossing.

And as a primarily ork player these days, 3+ is still very much an important thing, I can throw out 60 Shoota shots at a tactical squad and maybe kill 1 space marine?

There isn't as much stuff out there that can reliably kill marines as the internets mathhammering would have you think.

Mathhammer is good when used responsibly, i.e. "It generally takes X number of shots to take a hull point off that tank, so I had probably better dedicate 3X number of dudes to shoot at it if I want it gone". When it becomes "Well, the spreadsheet says I should have killed it by now, so take it off the table, because the spreadsheet says it's dead", then you're doing it wrong.

As far as the bases themselves go, I'd like to put my Assault Marines on the big bases to get rid of the Dread Faceplant Disease, but that's also going to make Deep Strike more dangerous, so I'm not sure if it's worth it yet or not.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Mathhammer's a guideline at best for whether something is feasible, which is why I don't understand people who calculate that 40 Conscripts under First Rank Fire, Second Rank Fire will achieve precisely 2.3412321 dead Marines at 13-24" or other guff like that. The dice sure aren't that precise, so what's the point on making your math so precise?

Heck, I've seen my opponents get scared when I go, "right, that Conscript blob you only shaved 10 guys off is now in Rapid Fire range of your chargers, and I've just passed FRF, SRF. Prepare to take 120 Lasgun shots."

Then only 40 hit, about 15 Wound, and there's maybe 5 dead Marines there in exchange for a whole lot of nothing. Orks are similar - people seem to forget that these cheap, high rate-of-fire guns are weak, have neglible AP, are wielding by the Mr Magoos of the 41st Millenium, or all of the above.

I've had as many times where Terminators or Marines have flatly refused to fail a save and die as I have where squads have effortlessly evaporated due to a handful of 1s.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    Mathhammer's a guideline at best for whether something is feasible, which is why I don't understand people who calculate that 40 Conscripts under First Rank Fire, Second Rank Fire will achieve precisely 2.3412321 dead Marines at 13-24" or other guff like that. The dice sure aren't that precise, so what's the point on making your math so precise?
    Indeed! Mathhammer can provide a general guideline as to whether or not something is likely but at the end of the day it can go either way. That's why I'm always willing to toss those hail Mary dice and hope for a statistical miracle.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master

Hell, if you show up with old terminators and Wraithguard at events you can pretty much kiss your Sportsmanship score goodbye now, what do you think will happen if your entire army is on the wrong base.
    Seriously?

This is a thing?

I've got buckets of old Wraithguard. I spent metric sh*tloads of money on the old metal *******s. They look splendid on their nice tiny 28mm bases. They look totally ridiculous on 40mm bases. They came with 28mm bases. They look better on 28mm bases. They don't need to be on 40mm bases just because a new kit came out with that different base size.

If someone told me that I was getting a lower sportsmanship score because my models that I bought in 1995 are still on their original plastic discs then I might say something to that person that would be worthy of a lowered sportsmanship score.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Seriously?

This is a thing?

I've got buckets of old Wraithguard. I spent metric sh*tloads of money on the old metal *******s. They look splendid on their nice tiny 28mm bases. They look totally ridiculous on 40mm bases. They came with 28mm bases. They look better on 28mm bases. They don't need to be on 40mm bases just because a new kit came out with that different base size.

If someone told me that I was getting a lower sportsmanship score because my models that I bought in 1995 are still on their original plastic discs then I might say something to that person that would be worthy of a lowered sportsmanship score.
    I use non standard bases often. My marine bikers are on bigger homemade decorative bases made from the old GW how to where you cut the 40mm base in half and attach it to the 40mm square. They look 100 times better then the new official puny base. Most people are cool with it... most people are even cool with my oversized custom vehicles and my fluff scale marines. But there are a handful that are pretty damn picky about silly details... I imagine it to be the same personality type that *****es about the number of button holes on a 15mm Seven Years War coat, or those that feel inclined to point out that a certain regiment had curved rather than pointed cuffs in a given year. See GW fans, historical gamers have their own flavor of asshats too.
    My Truescale Insanity

the whole unfortunate tragedy of base sizes started when they moved to larger plastic models but didnt rationalise base sizes.

everyone must have whole bunches of orcs and genestealers [in particular] that seem to enjoy being a group in a 'twister' stylee!

they could have saved everyone grief by making bases a bit bigger at least a decade ago.

as far as the application of the rules goes common sense and a tape measure can overcome any 'random' size bases.

one trick we use is to put large unstable models [think venothropes / zagstruk etc] on much larger bases but have the 'legal' base inset so that a visible 'true' base is measured from when required [ie rarely]

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast