BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    First-Captain

I know what you mean Yorkie, I have over 120 Marines Figures all made up, no way am I gonna rebase ALL of them!

Another thing though, that new size base is gonna swamp retro Space Marines big time, 25mm Termies already look daft on those bigger 40mm bases.....
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Occuli Imperator

I've still got terminators on their old small slot-a-bases if I haven't changed them over I'm not going to rebase all my marines
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Wonder if Necron Warriors and other models will get the same treatment, the spooky, scary skelebots never seemed to stand on their bases quite right.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Now if anyone needed 30mm bases they are it, I do seem to struggle with them staying stuck on.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

I don’t play 40K all that much so my grasp of things is quite shakey. However I working on some IG Valhallans atm as a break from other projects so its pertinent to me right now. It would make sense to classify troops in small (25mm), large (32mm) and monstrous (50mm?). I imagine this will affect competitive play as you can get less bases in contact with objectives etc if they are of a larger size etc.

But then we have the issue of “truescale”. There is no way that 10 32mm bases can fit inside a Rhino...... Or that SM flyer thing.....

I think this would be a headache for TO’s for the next year as those with different size bases may have a SLIGHT advantage in certain scenarios?

Well I think GW has just inadvertently stopped me giving them even more money.

Had been planning to base all my new BA minis using the imperialis basing kits, which look very nice. But only fit 25mm and 40mm bases.

Thanks GW

Veteran-Sergeant

I think that resin base manufacturers like Dark Art, Secret Weapon, Dragonforge, Iron Halo will make 30 or 32mm bases for their themes. Many of them have produced 50mm options when the centurions came out a while ago.

In the mean time I suppose the warmachine style 30mm rounded bases will be more acceptable on table.

Somebody mentioned a colar or expansion ring to convert 25mm to the new base size. If you remember the old grey GW bases with a detachable coloured collar for 2nd ed blood bowl you get the idea.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by BeardMonk View Post
    I don’t play 40K all that much so my grasp of things is quite shakey. However I working on some IG Valhallans atm as a break from other projects so its pertinent to me right now. It would make sense to classify troops in small (25mm), large (32mm) and monstrous (50mm?). I imagine this will affect competitive play as you can get less bases in contact with objectives etc if they are of a larger size etc.

But then we have the issue of “truescale”. There is no way that 10 32mm bases can fit inside a Rhino...... Or that SM flyer thing.....

I think this would be a headache for TO’s for the next year as those with different size bases may have a SLIGHT advantage in certain scenarios?
    The bases wouldn't have to go in the Rhino, its not a ring of the ground that all troops carry around with them to stand on!

- - - Updated - - -

No one will have to rebase anything, there is no requirement for rebasing the book makes it clear that you use the base your models came with, the advantages/disadvantages are so tiny that no serious TO is going to care because its not important.

It will however, help jump pack troops make it through a game without falling flat on their faces.

The only interesting thing to come out of this is i've had a good laugh at people over reacting to 7mm more base size.

Chapter-Master

I'm literally of two minds with this. First off I'm plenty irritated that GW is making a change that will ultimately require me to rebase my marines to use them in tournaments. It doesn't seem like 7mm is a big deal now but within 1-2 years noone will be using old based marines at events. Hell, if you show up with old terminators and Wraithguard at events you can pretty much kiss your Sportsmanship score goodbye now, what do you think will happen if your entire army is on the wrong base.

On the other hand I'm loving the fact that I now have a base that will handle my fluff sized marines. It would have been nice if GW took this opportunity to address the marine scale issues but such is life.

When the dust settles most people will find a way to accept the changes but once again GW has managed to irritate an already volatile player base but I wouldn't expect any less from a company that still acts like it has the only game in town.

My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    I'm literally of two minds with this...
    You should see a psychiatrist ASAP.

Literally =/= Figuratively.

ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast