BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: $50 per Marine

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I have not and will not purchase any of the individually sold metal models. Why anyone would pay 10-20 dollars for a single 28mm model is completely beyond me. Apparently, people like the high level of detail or rules that come along with the models. To me they are just too expensive.
    In some cases, its the only way to get the model. For a Sisters player like myself; if I want a heavy flamer toting sister, I really have to pay 13.25 just to get that model in addition to the 41.25 squad. Currently the squad can only be bought from US stores too. A heavy flamer is something that can go in every basic sister squad. Many of us play with a meltagun (anotehr 8.25) and heavy flamer in every squad. It certainly isn't cheap but there really isn't much choice as chopping up metal miniatures and modifying them is not beginner level stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorlon View Post
    Not entirely sure....a commercial for a plasma center happen to come on while i was typing that post...apparently they give $25 for a unit-o-plasma. A few trips and you can get a baneblade or something.

Hmm PlasMarines Chapter sounds interesting.
    Haha, I need to look into that.

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by andrewm9 View Post
    In some cases, its the only way to get the model. For a Sisters player like myself; if I want a heavy flamer toting sister, I really have to pay 13.25 just to get that model in addition to the 41.25 squad. Currently the squad can only be bought from US stores too. A heavy flamer is something that can go in every basic sister squad. Many of us play with a meltagun (anotehr 8.25) and heavy flamer in every squad. It certainly isn't cheap but there really isn't much choice as chopping up metal miniatures and modifying them is not beginner level stuff.
    Yes, but as you and I very well know, Sisters are an all-metal army. These people are spoiled by low prices and now that the prices are inching up towards where the metal models are, they're complaining incessantly.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Templar View Post
    $80 off a purchase is a lot of money, which could be spent on any number of things. Doing bargain searches like this are what allow me to continue the hobby, and perhaps GW need to look at this sort of thing seriously (but if they are making the sales at full retail in store, then why bother).
    Aye. Buying online usually nets you 20%-30% off MSRP for new products. I also hear that in Australia, prices for many entertainment items are more expensive.
    Either way, buying online is indeed the best thing if you want new product. If I can spend hours painting these little models, I can spend about half an hour looking at my favorite sites and creating a shopping list.

However...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery.Shadow View Post
    I remember when my first local Game Store originally opened up. The store owner was knowlegeable and very helpful. Was a great place to just simply hang out! The place was like 'Cheers' but with Miniatures insted of Beer (I know some of you are fortunate enough to have both, but no way, not here in the USA) I bought EVERYTHING from that Game Store. I did so because I liked the place. I liked the owner, and wanted to support him.
    This is another thing. I know for a fact that many stores get their stock at 30%-40% off MSRP. Some even decide to sell their stock for less than MSRP. All the more power to them.
    However, if a game store gives me and my friends space to play every week, I could be bothered to spend a few extra dollars on an item I was going to buy anyways.

I played in a store for hours one day and even exceeded closing time. The guy waited for eight of us. I went and bought two Hive Guard at $20 each. I could have gotten them for $16 online (plus shipping), but in the end, it's somewhat of a tip. In the end, he made money and I got two models that I have been considering getting anyways. TheWarStore.com isn't going to miss my service. Reality's Edge, a privately owned small store in New Jersey is going to get my money instead. Either way, Games Workshop made the $12-or-so whatever selling the item directly to online retailers or local retailers.

Ultimately, I would never buy from a GW store itself. That way, all my money goes to GW.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Sisters
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Sisters
    Yep, okay. Sisters sisters to you as well.
    Last edited by Absolutionis; 02-10-2010 at 12:29 PM.

Brother-Captain

Absolutionis: I'm right there with you 100%.

My FLGS, a non-gw store; has a fantasticly large game room. They have a good selection of terrain, and plenty of tables for casual play and tourneys, they even leave the gameroom key with non-employee gamers (whom they know of course. The game room is open every day, even after the store closes, and they never charge to use it. The only time I pay full price is when I buy from them and I know that they get some of the money. I want them to stay open. I like meeting up with my friends once a week for gaming. Me buying from them shows my support for there store and business practices, just like me buying online retailers (non-gw) shows my lack of support for GW direct!
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Absolutionis View Post
    Aye. Buying online usually nets you 20%-30% off MSRP for new products. I also hear that in Australia, prices for many entertainment items are more expensive.
    Either way, buying online is indeed the best thing if you want new product.
    Yup, Aussies get shafted in product pricing. I understand there are transport costs, and less units sold per population density and all that other junk. Fact is we are taken advantage of because there are so many convenient excuses that could be used.

But rather than whining about it, I just shop internationally. I would consider the option of opening up my own eBay store for example if the costs weren't so high. I know there are a few VERY indy stores in Aus that basically stick their finger up at GWs pricing and give massive discounts. But these are essentially backyard online stores doing the best they can to serve the local gaming community, often selling only within their gaming region.

DT.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456