BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $50 per Marine

Default $50 per Marine

With the new advance orders for Kans and Dreads I am wondering if GW is getting a little carried away at price point. It used to be that only the large vehicles or extra special squads cost this much, but now it seems as though every other release is pushing closer to the $50 range.

The models are nice, but are they worth it? A Land Raider is at least tough as hell and cost over 200 pts.

This is not the first time the price point has hurt. I would really like to get my hands on a new Hellhound, but I cannot justify the price range. I would buy 2-3 at $35, but for $50 I don't want any.

Just wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

Brother-Captain

can o' worms headed your way...

btw - I fully agree with you on the hellhound thing! Its getting stupid.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Scout

I feel the same way about buying tygon/mawloc I would like buy 3,or model one for a Tvigon but even at ebay free shipping $$$ is still tight and I run 6 armies!

Veteran-Sergeant

I can see the price for the Killa Kans it's a full squadron of walkers and quite a bit cheaper than three IG Sentinels. For a Dred, any Dred, Ork, SM, CSM $40-$50 seems a bit high for units that don't perform all that well. I also agree on the Helhound kits, their only saving grace is that with a little work you can make them multi-roll models. I understand that GW is in business to make money and assuch must make a profit on everything they sell however I thought that one of the reasons for going to all plastics was to cut costs? If you cut costs and raise prices it does smack of price gouging. I realize that making new molds and new models is a large expense and they must make their shareholders happy but if they keep going like this they are going to start loosing sales and that is something that a business should try to avoid and as someone who enjoys the game I don't want to see either, higher prices mean fewer new players will be interested in starting and we vets will slowdown od stop collecting new armies.

My gripes aren't as much with the Kans, they seem ok. I think Land Raiders are ok for 50. But compare a Dread or a Hellhound to a LR:

They are smaller
    They have less tactical diversity (though I'm sure some will argue, have that discussion elsewhere)
    They are weaker
    and
    They cost far less points.

I recognize they cannot base the cost of models solely on any one of these factors (although when the assassins came out they were the most expensive blisters and lightest in weight, leading one to believe that the cost was for the badass factor.) It just seems to make more business sense to drop the price a bit and encourage more spending. As I said before, I don't want to buy one Hellhound for $50, I would easily buy 3 for $35 each. I don't know their profit margin, but they need to consider options. I am willing to spend alot of money on the game I love, I just want to feel I'm getting my moneys worth.

Regarding the Killa Kans...

The white metal ancestor was what, 25-ish? For a single unit. And it isn't half as gorgeous as the (full squad) three in this release.

$47.50 isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination. But as my brick-and-mortar store owner is fond of saying (over and over), "40K is the Cadillac of tabletop games. You can get around just fine in a Pontiac, and it drives almost the same. You choose to pay for that different hood ornament."

No intent to sound preachy. As far as the rest goes: complaining about GW's prices just tweaks me a bit because it's a luxury item. It's always a choice on the part of the customer. Too expensive, vote with your feet. Simple fact is that people are willing to continue to pay GW for their product. If that stops, GW will either adjust or die. If it doesn't sell because it's crap or light on quality/quantity, then GW will see they screwed the pooch. The trick is not to buy the product "just because".

I am not going to get wrapped around the axle on this one, because the product I will purchase is eminently desirable to me, so I'll choose to drop that cash.
    Last edited by Akkon Sek; 02-08-2010 at 06:27 PM.
    Rust, Dust & Ceramite - http://ceramite.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

I am a 30 year old cynic, I have to buy nappies and pay the mortgage. This is a luxury item, yes, and it is going up in price, yes. However what is going down is the target age of GW's target audience, this can be seen by the rules complexity dumbing down and the whole, Christmas list, send your mum to GW and the helpful red shirt will give her the all in one game/battleforce with the al in one paint set, modelling kit and terrain. And a table cloth flocked up. And genuine Rogal Dorn pants, and GW own glue at 150% at least the price of super glue, so that little timmy can snort away to his heart's content whilst daubing on shade number 33 of brown.

And then if we're lucky little timmy will discover girls or emo music or some such, and we'll see yet another ebay entry 'selling this for my son as it has been in the attic for 2 years since he left home, don't know what it is but think it is a spess mehrien guard elf.'

And we can buy cheap cheap like the budgey and only visit GW when you are in town and remember you are out of bleached bone or something specific, or you catch some really good DTs from lack of plastic crack and get some boxed set to sneak in when the wife is away.

To cut short, as a previous poster said, you can always stop dripping and vote with your feet...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Well I'm starting to see that GW is starting to price thier customers into other games more and more as they release new products. With games like Warmachine, Hordes and Flames of War, etc out there, it's not hard to WANT to spend your money where you get more for it now.

Last year was supposed to be the increase, and while not earth shattering, more is still more. Living in a day and age of Unemployment at 10-11% nationwide in the United States here alone, I can understand that they have to make thier money to survive, but also they should be wise in how they price this stuff too to not push away the loyal customers who've been buying thier stuff, and put them on the map here too. I also noticed while last year was the increase, the price of ALL new releases seamed to have sneaked up there in to stupid crazy price ranges too as they've went ahead. Like the new Ven Dred, and Ork Kans.

$50 for the dreds is just stupid, and even with eBay and online retailer prices, that's still about $40, which is STILL too much.

As the other guy mentioned, GW went to plastic to save money. However, it's evident that the only reason they went to plastic, was to reap the profits for THEMSELVES only. I'm yet to see one example where going to plastic over metal was a benefit to us the money spending GW consumer, outside of the new AoBR starter set when it was released. But they nerfed that too and boosted the price up $10-$15 with the last price increase as well, making it an OK deal, but not nearly as good of a deal as it once was.

I WAS going to make another GW army, but decided against it, 110% because of GW's evident lack of appreciation for thier loyal customer base due to thier insane pricing.

I have an Ultramarine and Ork army at present, and REALLY wanted the new Legion of the Damned sets, all of the Space Wolves stuff, and WANTED to make a Tau army, but I'm not moving ahead with any of them now. Due to pricing on the blisters for Legionaires alone, I'll prob be overlooking them altogether now. Even tho those are one of the few new metal figs, they're still crazy priced. To spend almost $80+ retail for 10 figures is assinine (legion boxed set, 2 blisters of 2 unique figures per pack, and one with a flamer or melta blister).

As for Wolves, I picked up a Codex, a Wolf Pack box and Wolf Termies, and since I play at a club where proxy isn't a big deal, I'll just use existing marines to fill out the rest. And Tau isn't going to happen. Middle Finger up to GW on all three of those products!

I've started to get back into Warmachine now, and I JUST got my income tax refund, and could buy pretty much what ever I want, within reason, and I just can't see feeding the GW machine any further as long as they keep pricing us away.

For the record, I've played 40k and Lotr from GW on and off over the past decade now, and owned almost every Lotr peice they ever made at one point, and then some, and about 4 full on 3000+ 40k armies (Chaos, Necron, Daemon Hunter and Space Marine), which I sold off about 5 years ago, before jumping back in last year.

The thing that drew me back in WAS the value that AoBR WAS, as I was able to get back in, with enough stuff to start two nice armies up with from that set, but as soon as the price increase last year, I backed off.

At some point, we as customers have to say ENOUGH is ENOUGH too.

So now I've spent about $150 on Warmachine stuff, and have a nice variety of WM stuff, in addition to my recent Space Wolf purchased to paint up, so I'll be busy for a while. I'm also considering Flames of War again, as I tried it years ago when it first came out, but adopted it too early, and had no one to play with then, so sold it off then too. So starting over maybe with the new $40 starter, and a few US and German tanks. Thier stuff seams like a really good overall value. In times like this, companies NEED to consider that most of us are looking for somewhere we can get the most for our money first and foremost.

I'll still play 40k with what I have, but I never was a FOM type player either, and laughed my arse off as players blew hundreds for tons of tanks when new IG codex was released. I guess I'll never be one of those players, but I WAS excited about Legion and Space Wolves, but not enough to be a lemming and blindly hand GW all my money, for a small handfull of minis.

[QUOTE=Denzark;53949]

And we can buy cheap cheap like the budgey and only visit GW when you are in town and remember you are out of bleached bone or something specific, or you catch some really good DTs from lack of plastic crack and get some boxed set to sneak in when the wife is away.
    [QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth. Only time I buy anything of GWs at retail is in a pinch. I have mostly Vallejo bottles, with GW washes, and a few specific GW pots of stuff I ran out of, and only bought because it was easier to get fast than Vallejo locally.

They've definitely positioned themselves as 2nd choice when it comes to hobby supplies for sure due to thier prices too now.

Ok. These are all U.S. prices. So follow me here!

Killa Kans - $44.50 for 3 with all weapon choices, better sculpt, and easier to put together vs. $25 each or $75 for 3 pewter which do not come with all weapon choices, dated look, and are tricky to put together.

Deff Dread - $49.50 for a Deff Dread with all ranged weapon choices and 4 CC weapons, better sculpt, and easier to put together vs. $55 for 3 different ranged weapons and 2 CC weapons (you want the Kustom Mega-Blasta you have to make it yourself and if you want 2 more CC weapons you need $8.25 each), dated look, and I have put one of these together I hated it. So for a total of $66.50 you can get the current one.

Venerable Dreadnought - $43 for a VD with twin-lascannon, plasma cannon, and assualt cannon. Along with 3 different CC hands and 3 different heads. It also has a ton of chapter specific parts vs. a $50 for a assault cannon and CC weapon. Want other ranged weapons buy a plastic dread for $40 or forgeworld it.

Now you guys apparently do not understand that more detail equals cost of molds and does increase the cost of the final product. A Landraider does not have that much detail sorry. A Landraider costs $57.75 and has very little detail compared to the kits listed above. I must laugh at the guys who say well....it's bigger so it must cost more. Sorry but no...more detail and ability to customize equals cost.

As others mentioned if you don't like it don't buy it. Less whinning and competition, but more cool models for me!
    For Russ and the Allfather!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast