BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $50 per Marine

An addition, How many of you pay $9 a month for that useless rag White Dwarf. An oversized Sunday add thats sole purpose is to keep us frothing at the mouth like the little GW junkies we are. It rarely has anything, anymore, that does more than tell you to buy their latest product. It used to have things like chapter approved.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Akkon Sek View Post
    Don't buy GW. Really, it's just that simple. And it is the ONLY way consumers can affect that 'unfair' pricing model. By voting with your wallet.

You WANT GW swag... by no stretch of the imagination do you NEED it. Its a luxury item, and as long as consumers permit the company which pushes that luxury items to charge exorbitant prices, by purchasing at the elevated price point... you can bet your sweet bippy that they WILL continue to charge super-high prices.
    Seriously? How about people just know the limits of their budgets when applied to the hobby? How about not boycotting GW, since;
    a: It probably wouldn't make a shred of a difference if a handful of people stopped buying, and good luck getting the vast majority of gamers to stop
    b: They stop bringing in money, what reason do they have to keep stretching the range of minis and products that they have now. You will likely see products ripped from the shelves and discontinued.

If you can't afford it, either be content with what you have for now, buy second hand, or simply get out of the hobby altogether.

These threads come up a lot, and it always results in the same thing.

If GW became stagnant with their releases, perhaps I can see an argument here, but whilst they are providing new products, rules, and supplements, why wouldn't I support them where possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Akkon Sek View Post
    What slew of posts about whining? I for one was attempting to illustrate the logic of the situation and a possible course of action to some manner of resolution. Games Workshop's prices are somewhat high. No one will argue that. But as a luxury item pertaining to a game, its not a necessity for anyone to purchase. And THAT is how company perspectives get changed.

Disagreement certainly does not need to include any manner of derogatory inferences about opinions.
    I appreciate you too Sek.

Thank you

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by wazatdingder View Post
    An addition, How many of you pay $9 a month for that useless rag White Dwarf. An oversized Sunday add thats sole purpose is to keep us frothing at the mouth like the little GW junkies we are. It rarely has anything, anymore, that does more than tell you to buy their latest product. It used to have things like chapter approved.
    That is one thing I will agree with. If you look at WD ten years ago compared to now, it is definitely an inferior product these days, used for nothing more than advertising purposes.

The articles are sub-par, Jervis needs some sort of inspiration, the Battle Reports are boring, short, and less detailed IMO than previously. They repeat the same old painting workshops every couple of issues.

It is time for a shake up on this one.

p.s. Yes, I still buy it, I subscribe, because despite its shortfalls, I feel I get my money's worth out of the read, but always feel that there should be more to the content.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Templar View Post
    If GW became stagnant with their releases, perhaps I can see an argument here, but whilst they are providing new products, rules, and supplements, why wouldn't I support them where possible?
    At no point was I suggesting a boycott. Though admittedly where I wrote "GW" I should have caveatted with "GW retail". As you stated, there are a myriad of ways to carry on with GW-specific models which do not require first-run/full-retail purchase.

Also bear in mind the original discussion revolved around specific product lines not living up to an expected quality based on shelf price. It is through the lack-of-sale of these specific items that change can be facilitated through lack of purchase.

The last thing I, or most anyone I imagine, wants is a full-on boycott of Games Workshop. At least, not until the sixth when I can acquire my Killa Kans... if you please.
    Rust, Dust & Ceramite - http://ceramite.blogspot.com

Chaplain

Immortals...
    $12 each...
    Need ten for effective army...
    Hate my life...
    They should make marines $50 each. Then maybe Imperial players would quit playing Marines and I'd get to fight a real challenge: Guard.
    Goodbye Bols!

Goodbye
    Last edited by Aldramelech; 03-18-2010 at 05:43 AM.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Battle-Brother

I always wanted to use Immortals, but never wanted to dish out $135 for a squad of 10. You could buy a small army for that much...

I solved my problem by just buying 2 box sets of Warriors 35+35= $70 and some spare green stuff to add a little more substance to my Warriors. A little filing, trimming, and gluing and I had a squad of 10 Immortals for just a little over half what I would have had to pay.

If you can't stand the prices that have been strapped to a grot guided rocket, but still want to use the Elites or special units then just enter the amazing world of conversions!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Templar View Post
    That is one thing I will agree with. If you look at WD ten years ago compared to now, it is definitely an inferior product these days, used for nothing more than advertising purposes.

The articles are sub-par, Jervis needs some sort of inspiration, the Battle Reports are boring, short, and less detailed IMO than previously. They repeat the same old painting workshops every couple of issues.

It is time for a shake up on this one.

p.s. Yes, I still buy it, I subscribe, because despite its shortfalls, I feel I get my money's worth out of the read, but always feel that there should be more to the content.
    Yeah it too has turned to crap over the years. I swear I remember paying $6 for it when Lotr was big, and even back then, it had MORE to offer in the way of scenarios, modeling and fluff than it does now. Anymore, I flip thro it at our game club, or at the store, and read what I want or need from it. It's not good enough anymore to even grab, sit down and have enough to read long enough to take a good dump. Making it pretty useless for sure now days.

Quote Originally Posted by Subject Keyword View Post
    Immortals...
    $12 each...
    Need ten for effective army...
    Hate my life...
    They should make marines $50 each. Then maybe Imperial players would quit playing Marines and I'd get to fight a real challenge: Guard.
    On that subject, look at the new Flash Gitz. $16.50 each. That's $165 for 10!!! At that price you can get 30 nobs. And in my experience nobs are much better. While Flash Gitz are "flashy" they are not very reliable and lack any real CCW ability. Not to mention they have no transport option, and you give up a slot for a battle wagon, dread, or kans. They are hardly worth playing with, let alone paying $16 a piece for.

As a mad ork player, I would like to have it all and then some, all I gotta say now is HELL NO!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast