BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default New 32mm Bases - What Does it All mean?

MBG sums up the impact both on the tabletop and in the hobby for the new 32mm bases! [URL="http://spikeybitsblog.com/2014/12/40k-hobby-the-burning-32mm-question.html"]http://spikeybitsblog.com/2014/12/40k-hobby-the-burning-32mm-question.html[/URL]

Want even more? Checkout spikeybitsblog.com

One of the interesting quirks about 40k (I don't know how things are described in Fantasy) is that the only thing the rules say about bases are: "Models must use the base the model is supplied with."

So by the book, nobody can complain when your old metal wraithguard, your classic terminators, or your hundreds of marines are all based the "old way".

According to my local GW store, the new bases are just for jump marines, not all marines. I certainly don't plan on changing the bases on any of my existing models.

The real question will be if the existing assault marine box will start coming with larger bases. Although I won't buy any more of those until they finally make a new kit.

Librarian

I don't even think that's a rule anymore. From memory it now says "These rules assume models are one the bases they came with" or something similar.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gir View Post
    I don't even think that's a rule anymore. From memory it now says "These rules assume models are one the bases they came with" or something similar.
    Yeah, 7th turns basing into the wild west with essentially 'use whatever you want' for your base. Another part of GW opening up the rules.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by deinol View Post
    One of the interesting quirks about 40k (I don't know how things are described in Fantasy) is that the only thing the rules say about bases are: "Models must use the base the model is supplied with."

So by the book, nobody can complain when your old metal wraithguard, your classic terminators, or your hundreds of marines are all based the "old way".

According to my local GW store, the new bases are just for jump marines, not all marines. I certainly don't plan on changing the bases on any of my existing models.

The real question will be if the existing assault marine box will start coming with larger bases. Although I won't buy any more of those until they finally make a new kit.
    Except that the new BA tacticals look like they are on 32mm as well. I'd like to hope it was just Jump guys; it wold make sense after all but from the pics doing the rounds I have my doubts.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Veteran-Sergeant

White Dwarf Issue 44

On page one new releases:

32mm round base: $6 for 10
    50mm round base: $6 for 3
    170mm oval base: $6 for 1

Shield of Baals came with a Carnifex on a 170mm oval, WTF! So whats going on then, a W4 monsteous creature goes on a big base? Hashtag Demon Prince Dioramas.

Sheild of Baal: Deathstorm came with a new 105mm oval base for the carnifex and a 75mm oval for the broodlord.

75mm Deathstorm Broodlord
    105mm Carnifex
    120mm Monstrous Creature
    170mm Imperial Knight

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWoval bases2sml.jpg 
Views:	3048 
Size:	217.1 KB 
ID:	11982  

First-Captain

Yeah, rules now are "use whatever base you think looks best"

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-O View Post
    Sheild of Baal: Deathstorm came with a new 105mm oval base for the carnifex and a 75mm oval for the broodlord.

75mm Deathstorm Broodlord
    105mm Carnifex
    120mm Monstrous Creature
    170mm Imperial Knight

First thing I sent out to my local group when I opened the box... lots of new bases! Holy crap, there won't be any consistency in the basing of 40k armies for ages with all of these changes. I'm surprised they didn't go ahead and pump the stealers up to the 32mm base size... and while we're at it Orks need bumped up too.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    First thing I sent out to my local group when I opened the box... lots of new bases! Holy crap, there won't be any consistency in the basing of 40k armies for ages with all of these changes. I'm surprised they didn't go ahead and pump the stealers up to the 32mm base size... and while we're at it Orks need bumped up too.
    Eh. Nobz, I'd go along with 32mm bases (though not rebasing any). But even though my Boyz often go over the edges of their bases, I don't think it'd feel right to push up their base size. For one thing, it'd make it a pain to try to deploy a horde of Orks. (And there's no way I'm rebasing that many models!)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast