BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 40K End Times!

Occuli Imperator

Whilst 30k is progressing nicely there seems to be very little point in pushing 40k forwards in time, maybe when the Heresey is all wrapped up then it will be time to move forwards. maybe.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    HAHA awesome response

And indeed the response at all is something nice

edit: seriously, thats actual communication with the community right there, and something to be lauded in and of itself, well done Mr McNeil
    I'm not sure that's particularly cut and dry.....

Warhammer isn't Ending either. But we still have End Times.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Thats really too bad that GW isn't willing to mix it up as an End Times 40k would. The whole universe/fluff/setting is starting to get a little stale.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Chapter-Master

I don't see that Dee with all these campaigns and stuff out at the mo. Maybe its just too big and therefore you feel it needs big swingeing changes but personally I've never felt it to be less stale (blandness of some codexes aside.)
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Thats really too bad that GW isn't willing to mix it up as an End Times 40k would. The whole universe/fluff/setting is starting to get a little stale.
    How would you "mix it up" in a way that's meaningful and doesn't screw something up?

Really, at this point, if they let the natural progression of things advance, you basically end up with the galaxy being the stomping grounds for a showdown between the Tyranids and the Orks, with everyone else dying to those two races, and it's actually likely the Orks come out on top, because they would find it the best fight ever and just continuously grow in numbers and power until individual Orks are as big as a Carnifex and just laughing as they punch Hive Tyrants in the throat. And then you have a galaxy of Orks that just devolves into Orks fighting each other forever, unless the Old Ones come back, set off some "self-destruct," and then reboot the galaxy.

Sorry, but that's how it's been written. The Tyranids are said to be pretty much unstoppable with the Imperium, and Ghazghkull's jumping all around starting up massive wars that lead to Orks growing in number and power everywhere, with all of them eventually being under his command (so, unified, in a sense). It's pretty clearly stated that if all the Orks ever got together, in their current state, they'd be enough to wipe out everyone else. So if the Tyranids are doing part of that and the Orks are doing it... well, eventually no one else is left. Even the Chaos Gods would die off because Orks don't feed into them for the most part and Gork and Mork have always been more powerful (yep, established fluff, in Titan Legions there was a story where they tried to manipulate the Ork gods, who just brushed them off, and they decided to just follow behind them and relish in the emotions caused by the Orks).

You'd have to come up with some kind of serious deus ex machina, and sure, GW does that from time to time (hello Storm of Chaos!).

The alternate would involve stuff like bringing back the concept that the Emperor would die and be reborn, which would then cause the Imperium to be massively changed (the Inquisition would be in trouble, for one). You could theorize how those things go over time, but basically, you end up with a lot of the models out there being invalid, ditto for the rules, and, well, you don't do that kind of massive shake-up to your chief money-maker.

While we won't get to Midnight the seconds hand could move, it hard to see the Primarchs not returning once FW have done the models.
    Rogue Trader since 1991.

Librarian

I think they're just ramping up how close we're supposed to be to the edge in the 40k universe, bringing in the primarchs will simply require some sort of balancing force to meet them, like some of the "evil" primarchs as demon princes (just a quick idea to throw out there). suddenly the great battle between the emperor and chaos will be just as far along as it was before roboute woke up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12