BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Bad weather spraying - help me to remove an issue preventing painting.

How do?

So it's officially winter here in the UK, which means the weather is miserable. Cold, wet, damp, grey. Urgh.

And that means long, dark nights at home watching the telly, because going out seems like a bad idea. That should mean I finally do some painting.

Except, due to the weather, spraying seems inadvisable.

Anyone got any tips for spraying in poor weather? I use GW spray cans, because the shop is just up the road, and I have neither the time nor inclination to go seeking alternatives

Please. Little help?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Iron Father

I just spray indoors with a window open (by the window pointing the spray outwardly and covering any area the could be hit by overspray). Short sharp bursts works for me. Just remember a light coat is enough to paint on. I usually have a primed marine in 3-4 squirts.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Yeah, as a fellow Brit I feel you on the weather and spraying front. I used a storage room at work to spray in. No-one goes in there, so I just take a spare cardboard box, line up my minis and get them sprayed. Open the windows to vent during the drying and it's all good.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Make sure you heat the spray can in warm water to bring the temp of the paint up. Cold paint like to spatter and clump. Good luck.

To save running up and down three flights of stairs in any weather to spray Ive developed the bathtub priming system. Get a painters drop cloth and tape it up in your shower. Make sure to cover as much as you possible paying attention to the edge of the tube. Turn on the exhaust fan and prime what you need. Leave everything in the room with the door closed until the fumes dissipate.
    I dont recommend this if you have a significant other or children or really anyone else you live with.
    Note you will get a fine dust of whatever color you spray in that room but it should sweep/wipe up easily.
    Also note that you should always wear an aerosol approved respirator. I have stupidly gotten away with just a light head from doing a small squad but for anything more you need lung protection.

Scout

I'm not sure if they're available at a shop in your area, but my local shop also does a lot in model cars, and the have a miniature spray booth that has filter against the back with a fan that pulls the spray towards the filter. It's pretty nice. If I get to the shop in the next couple of days, I'll relay the make and model for you, and hopefully post a pic.