BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default Stupid question about Psychic abilities

This may be stupid, but... I just looked through the rulebook again, briefly, and didn't see anything that addressed it.

My second son plays orks and has a Warboss that we use as a Weirdboy. He loves the thing and did something amazing with it in one battle. He put it behind a ruins so it couldn't be targetted, then in the move phase, the Weirdboy made a normal move out. In the Psychic phase, he used a psychic power (or two!), and then in the shooting phase, his weirdboy ran back into cover. I was sure he couldn't do it, but there's nothing in the book that implies that a psychic attack is the same as shooting, and it happens in a completely different phase of the game anyway.

So, I congratulated my son on his ingeniousness, and here I am.

Can a psyker move, then use psychic powers, and then in the shooting phase use Run to get back into cover, effectively giving every race jump-shoot-jump capability like the Tau? Or did I miss something important in the rulebook?

I have the ebook version of the BRB, so I can't reliably get a page quote, but in the Psychic Phase, under the Witchfire section: "Manifesting Witchfire does not prevent the Psyker (or his unit) from firing weapons in the following Shooting Phase, nor does it prevent the Psyker's unit from Running, Turbo-boosting, or moving Flat Out." So yes, this is completely legal, and a pretty handy trick too.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

good and clever tactic. Well done Dat orky dood.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

Veteran-Sergeant

Yep it is fine just watch the look on his face if he rolls a 1 on the run move and cannot get out of LOS. however begs the question why did he not move out just enough so a 1" move would bet him out of sight.

It works really well on a jet bike, chariot or disk of Tzeentch with the super long movement in the running phase.

First-Captain

Kunnin' orky know whats

Battle-Brother

what's awesome is this kid is 12 and he picks up on tactical stuff super quick. He's probably just as tactically capable right now as I am at 42 - after 17 years serving in the Infantry. He's going to be scary good in 10 years, in both WH40K and in real life.

pretty much the same thing tau stealth suits have been doing since 6th move out shoot then thrust move into cover.
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    pretty much the same thing tau stealth and Crisis suits have been doing since 3rd move out shoot then thrust move into cover.
    Fixed that For you.

not a tau player and only played since 6th lol
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

Banned

And you've seen Stealth Suits do this and not Crisis Suits? Wow. Lucky.