BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I did make my own colour scheme and my buddy already is building a Blood Angel army, so we went half on the box and I have been on a bit of a shopping spree regarding Nids, so I have loads of models to build my army incl. the old metal Old One Eye

EDIT: My Deathstorm just arrived today and I am getting started to paint this weekend. Already have quite of lot of models as I got 2 swarms boxes, 2 Tyrants, 1 Tervigon and a Toxicrene in the mail
    Last edited by Allan Hansen; 12-10-2014 at 08:58 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Sounds like you know what you are doing sir! If you are new to 40k though I should warn you of the Buy/Model/Play Matrix...

Buy: Here on the Sunny Beaches of Canada we are a consumer nation, and really the easiest part of this hobby is buying the cool stuff! If your anything like me with limited time to model because of work, family, whatever then often you will find yourself heavy on this side of the Matrix (And that's where GW wants you to be)

Model: I have a house rule. It used to be no unpainted models allowed but some people in my group were all like "That's not fair, bro!" so I scrapped it. All it took was one game against a mob of 60 headless, armless, unpainted Orks "Oh, I paint those parts separate, eh" it turned into All armies have the special rule Preferred Enemy:Unpainted, that quieted the hoopla down. Point is its going to take time if your painting an army, heck I dipped my nids and it still has been 3 years of this paint scheme to get were I am. During those years I have bought another two armies that are still in the boxes untouched!
    Point is, depending on your situation or not, you have a lot of models purchased, games workshop isn't going anywhere let them hold on to those models you need to purchase, or else your bedroom may end up looking like this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0091.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	12018

Play: I haven't played in a couple months now, it can happen. That's why I said find a buddy who is into it to, it really helped anchor me in the hobby, but it's still tough to play. We can't get through a game round without having to pull the rulebook out, Ha Ha!

hehe my house looks exactly like that I've got a complete Ultramarine Company and a 11k pts High Elves Army. I just never played with or against Nids

Veteran-Sergeant

Nids were the first army I picked up for 40k, used to play fantasy as a kid and I was crazy over Mordheim (Still am to admit it, just wish it was still around).

I just looked at your question and the amount of posts you had and figured you were a greenhorn!

I don't know why I was drawn to the Hive Mind (Besides the models look cool) but my main reason would have to be

A) You guys like swarms of things, right?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	12026

Hivefleet Cobra-Kai

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTurkey View Post
    If you take the time to magnetize a Trygon/Mawloc kit you have two very solid choices. I particularly like the Trygon Prime on account of the 12 S6 shots which is great for can opening after a deep strike, but lots of people get great mileage out of the hungry worm too.

Bio-electric Pulse with containment spines is 12 shots at S5. It's still a lot of shots and it's good. it's just not that good.

I would strongly advise getting a spore pod or two (or three!) to go with your army. They work with so many units in the nid book and they just add a lot of flexibility to whatever you want to bring.

I already ordered a spore pod I was thinking about using it to drop a Carnifex behind enemy lines to make my opponent focus his fire on that. Just make it a regular Screamer Killer

UPDATE: My spore pod and my Tyrannofex/Tervigon arrived today... I really like the Tyrannofex model too... does anyone have any advice about it?
    Last edited by Allan Hansen; 12-12-2014 at 07:58 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

I made mine into a Tervrigon so for you I have no advice, well if you do make a Tervrigon make sure you have some gaunts to go with her.

I missed out on Leviathan so I have no idea what a spore pod even does. I should learn so I can stop being upset it wasn't in the codex and be happy its back!

And as for the Fex Bomb I tend to be a bit defensive and could never spend the points to sacrifice a model this way (I don't even know how much a spore pod is though), but if you could use it in combination with a Trygon (or even a Mawloc?), now your cooking with Bacon!(Bacon must always be capitalized)

I have now slowly begun to paint, but the flu caught up to me, so it's going slowly but steadily

I don't play Nids but my brother does and I find that venomthropes ( the ones that give cover saves) are a pain because his hordes of little ones get a decent save even with the AP of my bolsters. Also winged hive tyrants can be a pain to fight against. Just a few thoughts!

Void Shield Generator/Network. For the cost of a Tyrannocyte with upgraded guns, you have a 12" radius bubble that's immune to anything under strength 6. And for multiples of 10 points extra, you can get yards of 4+ cover. Also, Tyrannocytes and/or Sporocysts, because properly equipped and positioned, you can ruin a lot of horde Infantry's day.

UPDATE: Here's a basic list I'm starting to build.

1250 Trolltastic Tyranids
    HQ 275
    Hive Tyrant 165
    WS 8 BS 4 S 6 T 6 W 4 0000 I 5 A 4 Ld 10 Sv 3+
    Electroshock Grubs 10
    R template S 5 AP 5 Assault 1, Haywire
    Miasma Cannon 25
    Spit R 36” S 1 AP 4 Assault 1, Blast, Poisoned 2+
    Spray R template S 1 AP 4 Assault 1, Poisoned 2+
    Lashwhip &Bonesword 20 Toxin Sacs 10 Adrenal Glands 15
    R – S 6 AP 2 Melee, Life Drain, Poisoned 4+, Swift Strike
    Regeneration 30
    Troops 45
    Mucolid Spore 15
    WS - BS - S 1 T 3 W 3 000 I 3 A - Ld 3 Sv -
    Massive Floating Bomb R – S 8 AP 3 Melee, Large Blast
    Mucolid Spore 15
    Mucolid Spore 15
    Heavy Support 480
    Tyrranofex 175
    WS 3 BS 3 S 6 T 6 W 6 000000 I 2 A 3 Ld 8 Sv 2+
    Electroshock Grubs 10 Adrenal Glands 15 Toxin Sacs 10
    Rupture Cannon 30
    R 48” S 10 AP 4 Assault 2
    Stinger Salvo
    R 18” S 5 AP 4 Assault 4
    R – S 6 AP 2 Melee
    Tyrranofex 175
    WS 3 BS 3 S 6 T 6 W 6 000000 I 2 A 3 Ld 8 Sv 2+
    Electroshock Grubs 10 Adrenal Glands 15 Toxin Sacs 10
    Rupture Cannon 30
    R 48” S 10 AP 4 Assault 2
    Stinger Salvo
    R 18” S 5 AP 4 Assault 4
    R – S 6 AP 2 Melee
    Fortifications 420
    Void Shield Network
    3 Void Shield Generators 150 6 Additional Void Shields 150
    BS – Av 13 HP 3 000 000 000
    2 Promethium Relay Pipes 80
    6 Barricade Sections 60

This list brings 80 linear inches of 4+ cover, 9 AV 12 Hull Points of shielding, and a 20" buffer zone that Vehicles and Light Infantry just won't enter. Roll Catalyst and you are pretty much unassailable. If you add a Hive Crone, Sporocyst and more Spores and Barricade Sections, you can get up to 15 feet of cover and more than enough firepower in a tourney list. Just some thoughts.
    Last edited by Andrew Thomas; 01-21-2015 at 02:30 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast