BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Starting a Nid army

Hi...
    First time here so bear with me.
    I just ordered Death Storm as I am planning to make a Nids army and I already got the Swarm box.
    I was hoping for some feedback about which MC to get besides the Tervigon (love that model). I am torn between the Exocrine and the Toxicrene (again great models). So which have the best use as I generally play against Tau, Crons, CSM and Imperial Guard?
    And ofc if ppl have other suggestions I am thrilled to read them

Occuli Imperator

Hello and weclome aboard!
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Apart from the Maleceptor and Haruspex, all the Nids MCs are pretty good. U'll need a few of them in your army as 1 or 2 will quickly be shot down. A Tyrannofex with Acid Spray is a good value line breaker, although Exocrines and Toxicrenes also work well. If you haven't bought your Tervigon yet, there's a good value GW box with one, a Hive Tyrant (a Flying Hive Tyrant with double Devourers is the best MC in the codex)and some other stuff. Oh and when playing with Nids, you need to keep in mind Synapse, so make sure to include some Warriors, Zoanthropes etc. Medium term consider buying some Tyrannocytes. Good luck!

If you take the time to magnetize a Trygon/Mawloc kit you have two very solid choices. I particularly like the Trygon Prime on account of the 12 S6 shots which is great for can opening after a deep strike, but lots of people get great mileage out of the hungry worm too.

Brother-Sergeant

[url]http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Wrath-of-the-Hive-Mind[/url]

[url]http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Tyranid-Swarm[/url]

Both of these are good starting points... covers all of your basic troops, gives you a solid HQ choice and is a good value. If you're not sick of painting tons of little gribblies when you're done with these...then you'll be ready to start adding Tyranid Monstrous creatures to the mix.

The Deathstorm box also has a good value, and you may be able to trade away the BA portion of the box set to offset your costs.

Use magnets on all of your Monstrous Creatures so that you can get more mileage out of them. There are tons of tutorials on the web/youtube on how to do it easily.

Default Exocrine~!

as far as MCs go i can not even begin to describe how much work my exocrine puts in. Ive had it outright kill a necron destroyer lord turn 1 with some lucky shooting. But in general every game i use this unit it def makes up its points cost which is admittedly steep. I would actually recommend that you invest in a minimum of 1 malanthrope, 2 if you play in the 2000 point range. The malanthrope is a must have for any tyranid player as it is an excellent, fluffly, and fun force multiplier. I am a huge nids fan since 3rd edition. Got about 10k points or so of them and am currently running a campaign of nids vs imperium for some friends.

Hi guys and thanks for the posts
    I already got a Nid Swarm, a Tervigon and 2 Hive Tyrants (making 1 of them flying MC) and I am considering the Exocrine and Tyrannofex too.
    What about Hormagaunts? Are they as bad as I keep reading online? I really like the models and like the idea of a lot of gribblies and some big *** critters to back them up

Ohhh forgot I recently got the old swarm box with 3 Carnies in too.

Veteran-Sergeant

I would have to agree Exocrine, this new Warhammer seems to be a shooting mans game, and STR 7, AP2 is boss. To be fair I don't have a Toxicrene but they look cool (well I don't like its head, seems a bit meh compared to the coolness of the rest of the model).

[QUOTE][url]http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/...-the-Hive-Mind[/url]

[url]http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Tyranid-Swarm[/url]

Both of these are good starting points... covers all of your basic troops, gives you a solid HQ choice and is a good value. If you're not sick of painting tons of little gribblies when you're done with these...then you'll be ready to start adding Tyranid Monstrous creatures to the mix.

The Deathstorm box also has a good value, and you may be able to trade away the BA portion of the box set to offset your costs.[QUOTE]

I usually try not to say much to sell a GW miniature (or a swarm of them) in these types of questions but it sounds like you have enough friends around that play the game to know the Associated cost. rpricew is turtally right; you WANT a Tervigon and you NEED a Hive Tyrant so Wrath of the Hive Mind is kind of a must (plus you get all the Termies to go with the Gon)

I do have to say I am currently not a fan of Tyranid Warriors (I used to be! Fun to paint, pose and equipt) but I find these days a T4 with W3 ends up being finished by a Devistator squad or a Chaos Gunpuppy before they get a chance to do anything.

Were you planning on building your Baal's the way that is in the campaign book or are you just gonna build some nids?

Magnets are sweet!Though I must admit I have only 2 models that are magnetized, a Fex and my walking Tyrant.

I was thinking about making my entire force around the new Death Storm Campaign

Veteran-Sergeant

Cool Beenz, It would be even better if you could find someone to play the Blood Angels, nothing like a good rivalry!

I was just going to paint mine as normal colors for my army(and I probably still will), but I think I'm keeping the Children of Cryptus. My Genestealers are all from the last codex were you had a ton of options for them, but it had to be unit wide, and you only get two of each special head per sprue of stealers so it took 5 boxes before you could get a force of ten specific ones. I look at the Brood papa and all of his unique children and it looks so cool, all that diversity. Seems like it would be a lot of fun to build a unit like that, and fluff wise it would work too. The Children of Cryptus are so successful during the Phodian buffet that there genetic code is retained by the hive mind to be used in future lunch dates.

I don't know how good of a painter you are (Me not so good, but getting better) but I "dipped" my Tyranids, really simple procedure and really good look afterwards.Dipping models you can easily finish a unit of 20 in a days work. There are lots of articles aboot it, I found the one I used on The Tyranid Hive forum (Before being driven away by merciless Bronies...)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast