BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Forge World products: Dimachaeron and Scythed Hierodule

Hi folks, just received my first couple of large Forge World models and I was wondering if any of you have any tips in building them e.g. what glue to use, do they need pinned, etc? If you have specific information about building the above two Tyranid creatures that would be even better.
    Thanks in anticipation of replies.

Brother-Sergeant

Bigger FW creatures need pinning just for peace of mind. As for glue, I use good old fashioned super glue. To be specific, I use Loctite Super Glue. I believe it is called super flex.

My revenant titan went together without too much trouble. Just take your time with it and clean it up as you build it. Understanding how the model goes together will help so be sure to dry-fit your parts before applying glue.
    It will also indentify where pieces don't quite fit and where you will need to gently file bits away to get them to fit.
    Last edited by Zaonite; 12-12-2014 at 05:40 AM.

Yep.

And make sure you give each and every part a good bath in lukewarm (not hot!) soapy water.

Release agent interferes with glue, and will cause a base coat of paint to just run off.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chaplain

If you go to Downloads on the Forge World website, they have a free six page "Working With Resin" download.

Veteran-Sergeant

And make sure you give each and every part a good bath in lukewarm (not hot!) soapy water.

Release agent interferes with glue, and will cause a base coat of paint to just run off.
    This stage is vital, I would add giving it a good scrub with an old toothbrush making sure to get into all the recesses, rinse it, let it dry, then repeating the process. It's a bit of a chore but if you don't get all of the mould release the paint won't key.

I usually straighten out any warped components while I'm doing this with a shallow dish of very hot water (straight from the kettle then let cool enough so you don't scald yourself).

Lastly check you have all the parts and look out for mis-castings, FW have great customer services but their quality control sometimes leaves a bit to be desired. They will replace any mutant parts with the minimum of fuss.

Brother-Sergeant

I can attest to the excellent customer service provided by FW.

The washing stage is equally important. And as said by completeHook this stage offers opportunity to straighten out any warping of the resin.

Scout

I have yet to build a dima but have built the heriodules.

Yes, wash the models first.
    You can use superglue, but might need a gap filling kind, or some putty here and there - some of the part fits on the heriodule are not perfect.

A few other things;
    I would mount the hierodule on your own base, either get a round 120mm base, or put him on a cd. The base he comes with is not even remotely circular.

Its a fun model to build, and I am hoping to get a dimeh in the next few months or so....(too many projects).

Dave Pak
    I thought I was done with my bugs....

Thanks for the tips, they've been very helpful.

Can't remember if this still applies or not, but don't breathe in FW resign. I can't remember when and where I read it, but it's not healthy to breathe in. Yes I know any dust is not recommended to breathe in but can't remember if FW causes cancer or not so be extra careful when filing and smoothing the resin. A lot unhealthier than Finecast resin is all I know. Could be wrong now, but better be safe than sorry.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that