BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default Angel's Wrath and the return of Charge after Deep Strike

So with the Angel's Wrath formation it seems Blood Angels get what no other army can do, charge after Deep Strike if they drop within 12" of a Teleport Homer in the tactical squad. Deep Strike 3 Stormravens on the board on Turn 1, and use Skies of Fury to deploy your Tactical squads, then follow up with Jump Troops that don't scatter and charge the turn they arrive.

Add in Dante, a truly nasty Death Company and Sanguinary Priest w/ Jump Pack and some Infiltrated Scouts for primary detachment troops. For good measure you can toss some more Assault Marines and Sanguinary Guard in there and you got yourself a Death from the Skies party.
    Last edited by Gleipnir; 12-16-2014 at 03:10 PM.

They did make it quite expensive to even attempt to pull off, and you need at least 2 surviving locator beacons the turn the units arrive from deep strike. Still gives a prepared enemy enough time to blast the tac squads off the table I guess, but it doesn't seem out of character for the army at least.

I would have preferred a more universal application though. Maybe make it a sergeant upgrade for certain units at a somewhat high cost in the main army list. After the severe close combat nerfs of 6th edition went into place we've seen precious few deviations from the norm. Orks got added charge threat range (run and charge on a waaagh! turn, and also inches added to the charge from boarding ramps) and at that time I thought it was the holy grail of 7th edition assault. Now Blood Angels get to charge from deep strike, but at exorbitant cost. This might make them the new kings of melee, but the application is so stringent I feel like any army that employs this unit is going to be hamstrung by the huge buy in cost, necessitating that it become basically a one trick pony sort of list with obvious counters.

Honestly I feel like it will be a goof around sort of army that one would play for the purposes of "fun." in all its nebulous glory. More competitive players probably won't get much use out of it, but that's just my guess.

Chapter-Master

I missed the rule that allows the storm ravens to deep strike on turn 1.

That being said, Tigirius+Centurions should be scared fecesless by this deepstrike+charge benefit.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Power Klawz View Post
    They did make it quite expensive to even attempt to pull off, and you need at least 2 surviving locator beacons the turn the units arrive from deep strike. Still gives a prepared enemy enough time to blast the tac squads off the table I guess, but it doesn't seem out of character for the army at least.
    Well, if it makes any difference, the tactical squads have to start embarked in those storm ravens. So the enemy will have to skyfire at least 2 ravens down and then kill the sergeants (which is possible from the explosion or wreck result blah) before turn 2 (as they can reserve roll on turn 1) or else they have those teleport homers in their faces. Followed by charging deepstrikers one unit of which can have the relic that makes his unit can only get snap shotted by interceptors. Flying bricks man...I like those chances.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yea, also, those Tactical squads get the objsec rule.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Gleipnir View Post
    So with the Angel's Wrath formation it seems Blood Angels get what no other army can do, charge after Deep Strike if they drop within 12" of a Teleport Homer in the tactical squad. Deep Strike 3 Stormravens on the board on Turn 1, and use Skies of Fury to deploy your Tactical squads, then follow up with Jump Troops that don't scatter and charge the turn they arrive.

Add in Dante, a truly nasty Death Company and Sanguinary Priest w/ Jump Pack and some Infiltrated Scouts for primary detachment troops. For good measure you can toss some more Assault Marines and Sanguinary Guard in there and you got yourself a Death from the Skies party.
    Where are you getting this from?

[url]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-T1oJQ9kugTw/VI-NhDtTsHI/AAAAAAAAlRI/3QNP8-mnplc/s1600/ba-data2.jpg[/url]

That mentions nothing about override the rule in the BRB that prevents a unit from declaring an assault on the turn they arrive from reserves

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    I missed the rule that allows the storm ravens to deep strike on turn 1.

That being said, Tigirius+Centurions should be scared fecesless by this deepstrike+charge benefit.
    I missed the rule that lets angels wrath assault after it arrives from reserves

EDIT:ahhh I seem you are combo'ing the Storm raven Formation with the Wrath Formation...hmm all with no scatter....

nah, seems for too expensive $$$$ wise, I have very little interest in spending more on GW just to work around their dyslexic rules design and codex changes
    Last edited by daboarder; 12-16-2014 at 08:31 PM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chaplain

Yeah I actually referenced the wrong formation name in the post the Angel's Fury Spearhead with the Stormravens and Tacticals is the one that permits Deep striking units to charge the same turn they arrive under the triangulation rule.

At a starting cost of 1020+ points and the cost of buying 3 Stormravens I can understand why it might not appeal to everyone, but it does give you a tool that no other army has in the form of assault via Deep Strike same turn without giving up Objective Secured or Air Superiority and combined with a Baal Strike Force as the primary detachment you can produce some pretty nasty units to assault with.

I don't know that I would want to put it up against a Daemon or Nid flying circus but should be more than effective against static gun lines or other mobile(read Eldar) forces

two things: First its a teleport beacon so it only works for TDA. second you dont have to get out of the transport for the beacon to work. If you look at Preparing for Battle section under sudden death victory. It clearly states that units occupying buildings or embarked on transports count as being on the battle field. Which is the requirement for the teleport homer to work.

So stormravens come in 36" flying like normal make there shoots on turn 1 next turn your TDA force shows up ready to charge everything the ravens opened up in turn1.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Talnox View Post
    two things: First its a teleport beacon so it only works for TDA. second you dont have to get out of the transport for the beacon to work. If you look at Preparing for Battle section under sudden death victory. It clearly states that units occupying buildings or embarked on transports count as being on the battle field. Which is the requirement for the teleport homer to work.

So stormravens come in 36" flying like normal make there shoots on turn 1 next turn your TDA force shows up ready to charge everything the ravens opened up in turn1.
    Actually the triangulation rule is not limited to Teleporting units of terminators, but to units that arrive from Deep Strike, which can include a number of unit types.

Actually the triangulation rule is not limited to Teleporting units of terminators, but to units that arrive from Deep Strike, which can include a number of unit types.
    well you are correct. It does say any units. I was just reading the rules for locator beacons and teleport homers earlier and just assumed that because it was a teleport homer that it would only work for tda

Yeah I actually referenced the wrong formation name in the post the Angel's Fury Spearhead with the Stormravens and Tacticals is the one that permits Deep striking units to charge the same turn they arrive under the triangulation rule.

At a starting cost of 1020+ points and the cost of buying 3 Stormravens I can understand why it might not appeal to everyone, but it does give you a tool that no other army has in the form of assault via Deep Strike same turn without giving up Objective Secured or Air Superiority and combined with a Baal Strike Force as the primary detachment you can produce some pretty nasty units to assault with.

I don't know that I would want to put it up against a Daemon or Nid flying circus but should be more than effective against static gun lines or other mobile(read Eldar) forces
    Personally, I'd be more worried about walking ack-ack Farsight, but that's only because it's what I face regularly.