BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default bladeiai's Epic 40K table build thread!

I have played Warhammer on everything from dining room tables, ping pong tables, to the floor (as I'm sure most of you have). When I recently moved to a larger place I finally had the room to have a room that can be dedicated to nothing but the grim dark, so instead of going out and just buying a dining room table or some kind make shift "it will work well enough" kind of product I decided I wanted something that looked the part of a 40k table and gave players a sense of awe when they saw it.

So this is my project log for producing said table. I have never made anything out of wood or tried to make any kind of furniture before, so it has been quite the learning experience.

I knew I wanted a larger table as my local group tends to play larger games with super heavies regularly. The biggest the room could support was 8x4ft, so that is what I went with. I also wanted it to be counter or bar height as I feel it will be much more comfortable to play with out having to lean over all the time. I wanted LED lighting and also really wanted to have some kind of fog effect but have thus far not been able to come up with a viable solution. Fog machines get very hot and the liquid they work with can leave an oily residue, not good for painted miniatures. I also looked into ultrasonic foggers but they don't seem to work very well from what I have read. If anyone has any ideas please let me know! I would love to figure out a solution to this.

I decided to go with pine as it is the most reasonable and the budget for this project is already kind of out of control.

Now some pictures!

This is the way we used to play at my old 1bedroom apartment we just moved away from:

What it looks like when you and your friend get a bunch of lumber and load it into a compact car:

First load of wood delivered and ready to go:

None of this would be any fun without.... power tools.

Work begins!:

Stay tuned! More to come soon!

Chapter-Master

If it's at all possible I highly recommend adding shelving underneath. I have one shelf ~1" above floor level and another that splits the difference. It is awesome to be able to store things underneath!

On a side note I used 2" pine lumber for shelves and framing and used a big sheet of 1/2" mdf for the main surface. Mdf has proven to work better than plywood but it hates moisture so it may not work for your setup.

Best of luck!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

The frame together:

My better half posing with the top and bottom frames for scale/height:

Progressing a little more... Sides and the corner columns are starting to come together:

The Servo Skulls that will go on top of each of the columns:

Base of the play area is in and one of the columns is more together:

Stay tuned! More to come soon!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    If it's at all possible I highly recommend adding shelving underneath. I have one shelf ~1" above floor level and another that splits the difference. It is awesome to be able to store things underneath!

On a side note I used 2" pine lumber for shelves and framing and used a big sheet of 1/2" mdf for the main surface. Mdf has proven to work better than plywood but it hates moisture so it may not work for your setup.

Best of luck!
    Thanks man! I am putting shelving in the "legs" and then also running selves/boards that are open on both sides between the two feet so that I can store terrain boards under when not in use. I am using pine for the whole table with the exception of the frame which is made from regular lumber.

Chapter-Master

The recessed top looks really nice. Quite the cool project!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    The recessed top looks really nice. Quite the cool project!
    Thanks! I wanted it to have an "enclosed" kind of feeling and for it to feel like a substantial piece of furniture.

Now more pictures!

I placed screws every 3 inches along the hand railings, both to give it some detail and what I think will ultimately play in to the 40k theme and also to give some quick measurement assistance for shooting/moving and deployment:

A quick test fit with my Realm of battle board (good news.... it fits!):

Another quick test on the lighting effects:

This is kind of the look that the servo skulls will have on the columns:

Pay no attention to the loose boards in various places, everything will be squared up and screwed down once it's finished.

Stay tuned! More to come later...

So I take it that this table isn't actually for Epic 40k...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_S View Post
    At some point it probably will be used for that lol.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_S View Post
    That was my first thought when I clicked the link too!
    My Truescale Insanity

Initiate

Epic Table not table for EPIC

I promise that at some point we will play a game of Epic 40k on it and a 40k Game that is Epic, just so there is no confusion lol.

Also we are having a house warming/winterpocalypse game that is going to clock in at 21,000 points that I hope will be rather epic....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast