BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Default so correct me if im wrong... (Small halfling sized Hobbit 3 Spoiler alert)

So Bilbo is 50 in hobbit series.

at hobbit 3 movie ending pj inserts a dumb non-cannon franchise-based LOTR setup scene asking Legolas to find go find a young ranger named Strider

LOTR begins with Bilbo's 111th birthday, Strider/Aragon is in his 30s-40s

so correct me if im wrong shouldn't Strider probably not be born yet?

as always aside from little slipups the movie was good BUT THE BOOK WAS BETTER

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan Land View Post
    So Bilbo is 50 in hobbit series.

at hobbit 3 movie ending pj inserts a dumb non-cannon franchise-based LOTR setup scene asking Legolas to find go find a young ranger named Strider

LOTR begins with Bilbo's 111th birthday, Strider/Aragon is in his 30s-40s

as always aside from little slipups the movie was good BUT THE BOOK WAS BETTER
    Aragorn is in his late 70s. Maybe his 80s? I don't remember.

He's a Dunedaine. They live for a long time. Not elf-long, but long. He and Arwen get at least a century together before he finally dies.

Also, the Hobbit movies are reeking piles of **** and I hope Peter Jackson rots in hell. Even the Lord of the Rings movies didn't buy him enough good will to justify this dreck.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

First-Captain

...Strider/Aragon is in his 30s-40s

Nope, in the books Strider/Arragorn is mentioned of being of a purer older race of men who could live for at least 150 years, possibly longer, while men such as the men of Gondor and Rohan were less pure and would live to around 80-100 years.

One thing JRR was fond of was making notes on almost everything about his fictional world, it's somewhere in the appenidix of the LOTR volume 3.

- - - Updated - - -

thats the book of course, the appendix in the back of the book, just in case you misunderstand me

And damn EP you got there before me, and with the race name as well
    "I was there the day Horus slew the Emperor".....
    my blog http://madlapsedwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post

He's a Dunedaine. They live for a long time. Not elf-long, but long. He and Arwen get at least a century together before he finally dies.

Also, the Hobbit movies are reeking piles of **** and I hope Peter Jackson rots in hell. Even the Lord of the Rings movies didn't buy him enough good will to justify this dreck.

ah, this makes sense

I still found the movies enjoyable but I think I totally prepped myself knowing that it would have a lot of divergence and commercial extravagance, added romance, unnecesary plot elements etc.

in terms of book to movie accuracy on a 1-10 scale where Scifi Channel Dune is a 10 and Starship Troopers is a 1, I give this movie a 7.5

which I guess isnt as good as a book thats a 10

Grand Provost Marshal

ah, this makes sense

I still found the movies enjoyable but I think I totally prepped myself knowing that it would have a lot of divergence and commercial extravagance, added romance, unnecesary plot elements etc.

in terms of book to movie accuracy on a 1-10 scale where Scifi Channel Dune is a 10 and Starship Troopers is a 1, I give this movie a 7.5

which I guess isnt as good as a book thats a 10
    There's actually a scene in the director's cut of the Two Towers where Aragorn and Eowyn are talking, and she's like "You can't be the Aragorn I've heard of, he's old as hell."

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Wow man, good ninja, totally agree on all counts

- - - Updated - - -

Nah, its more like a 4 maybe 3.5. theres about 3 hours of movie all up that never even come close to being a thing in the book
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Faultie View Post
    There's actually a scene in the director's cut of the Two Towers where Aragorn and Eowyn are talking, and she's like "You can't be the Aragorn I've heard of, he's old as hell."
    Oh, yeah. I loved that scene.

These movies aren't a 3.5. They're a -8 at best. I hate that they stretched out a relatively simple book into three movies. I hate everything they included in a pitiful attempt to make that choice make sense - the White Ork, Tauriel, all of it. I hate that they made the Dwarves sexy - not because I've got a problem with man-candy in movies, but because that's not what Dwarves are - they're Dwarves, not short grumpy people. I hate that Radagast was a joke. I hate everything. I am a screaming eye of hate.

That's not entirely true. There are two things about the movies that I only mildly disliked. I disliked the way they refocused it on "heroic" violence and completely lost sight of Tolkien's original aesthetic of true, deep, compassionate goodness as the only real way to live. I'm used to that by now. I also disliked Thorin's stupid ****ing oak-log-for-a-shield. Because apparently we're all to stupid to handle a simple ****ing metaphor now, God damn it.

These movies are a figurative steaming crap taken on a series I love. I hated everything except for the two things I mildly disliked.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Put down the gun Shirley.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

These movies aren't a 3.5. They're a -8 at best. I hate that they stretched out a relatively simple book into three movies. I hate everything they included in a pitiful attempt to make that choice make sense - the White Ork, Tauriel, all of it. I hate that they made the Dwarves sexy - not because I've got a problem with man-candy in movies, but because that's not what Dwarves are - they're Dwarves, not short grumpy people. I hate that Radagast was a joke. I hate everything. I am a screaming eye of hate.

That's not entirely true. There are two things about the movies that I only mildly disliked. I disliked the way they refocused it on "heroic" violence and completely lost sight of Tolkien's original aesthetic of true, deep, compassionate goodness as the only real way to live. I'm used to that by now. I also disliked Thorin's stupid ****ing oak-log-for-a-shield. Because apparently we're all to stupid to handle a simple ****ing metaphor now, God damn it.

These movies are a figurative steaming crap taken on a series I love. I hated everything except for the two things I mildly disliked.
    hahaha still really well said
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

+1

While the original trilogy at least made an attempt to keep stuff from the books the Hobbit movies are not even close.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast