BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Taurel should have been better than she was, they ended up adding the whole bull**** romance thing in re-shoots after despite Evangeline Lilly being promised htere owuldn't be a romance angle.

I dont know how true it was but I read she even specifically stated she didn't want to be typecast again as a love triangle member, what girl doesnt want boys to fight over her

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan Land View Post
    what girl doesnt want boys to fight over her
    Having guys treat ignore the fact that you didn't pick them sucks. Being fought over isn't romantic, it's creepy.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan Land View Post
    I dont know how true it was but I read she even specifically stated she didn't want to be typecast again as a love triangle member, what girl doesnt want boys to fight over her
    I have it on pretty good authority that while it can be exhilarating, most girls - of the subset of girls who ever found it appealing - grow out of it when they become emotionally mature and start to desire things like friendship, companionship, love, and other prosocial relationships. Wanting two people to do bad things to each other to please you is pretty sadistic, when you think about it.

Really, I think it's us boys who like to imagine that girls like us fighting over them. It's far more appealing as a male fantasy than a female fantasy, because it creates a world in which there is something you can do to "win" female affection, rather than the reality that attraction is attraction and there's really nothing you can do but be ready to take advantage of it when it appears. And "I'll out-do that other jerk and get what I want" is a lot more human and not-sadistic and sociopathic than "tee hee, I like to watch people be mean to each other for my benefit."
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    We went to see the movie last night, IMAX 3D. Loved it.
    I'm no purist, if Jackson made the films exactly the same as the books what would be the point ?
    Hear, hear. Complaints about the movie being long with unnecessary plot elements miss the whole point of the film.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Hear, hear. Complaints about the movie being long with unnecessary plot elements miss the whole point of the film.
    ... which was to stretch out a simple book into a length movie by adding tons and tons of unnecessary inane filler?

I don't get it.

I don't think anyone (at least anyone here) is complaining about the fact that he changed something. We (I at least) are complaining about the specific, stupid choices that he made. Specific choices that made the movies more Hollywood and less Tolkien, inserting filler material and lengthy fight scenes that I didn't care about, and other putrid crap that I've already critiqued. I knew from the beginning that I was going to see one man's re-interpretation of the novel. I just didn't know it would be a stupid interpretation.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    the thing is, the film is meant to be the book, you didnt hear a lot of these complaints about LoTRs because it did a really polished and good job of representing the books, even when it added or changed parts. But the parts in the hobbit are just god aweful, useless and unneeded.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

And the hobbit movies are as faithful to Tolkien's work as LOTR. Almost all of the extra plot elements are lifted from Tolkiens other work, and Tolkien had planned to rewite the hobbit so stuff like the white ork would be in the revised book. Some stuff is original, but so was a lot of the LOTR.

Plus, have you read the hobbit lately? It's a goofy, rambling adventure. You can't complain about the movie having rambling plot elements and then complain it wasn't faithful to the books.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

I think I need to get off this thread. I am convinced that it is making me into a bad person.

I hated the movie. I think that it added things that are specifically counter to the spirit of Tolkien's work. I don't mind the idea of adding, subtracting, and changing stuff. I am bothered by the specific things that were added and changed. While the Lord of the Rings trilogy embraced and expanded Tolkien's universe with minimal Hollywood-ization (ie. Legolas being quite that pretty, the plethora of "Gimli is short jokes," the role that violence and adventure played in what is really a story about faith and humanity), the stuff added to the Hobbit was dumb, clearly intended to pad out the story so it could be three stories, and so thoroughly diluted the genuine The Hobbit content that I felt I had been cheated. This wasn't a movie for The Hobbit. It was a load of Hollywood trash masquerading as The Hobbit in the hope of capturing $60+ of my money when, in fact, they only had enough quality material to capture $20ish. That is the problem.

The Hobbit movie wasn't goofy or rambling. It was inane. It was full of bad writing, poorly thought-out characters, transparent fanservice, and irrelevant plot points included only to take up screen time. I didn't care about the ******* White Orc. I didn't care about ******* Tauriel and her stupid love triangle. It's not that things were added, it's that stupid things are added.

I love you all. You are, to a significant sense, my community. If I keep on talking about this insulting crap-pile of a movie, I am going to stray into saying insulting things about those of you who enjoyed it. You had fun - more power to you. I'm out.

Brother-Captain

My feelings are they The Hobbit could have been quite nice as two movies. It doesn't feel like it fits three.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast