BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Blood Angels with Stormwing Formation

I am long time BA player. I have had my ups and downs when it comes to codex releases but with the new one I was really interested in the rumor that we would get storm talons. I like the modal and have wanted to paint one or two BA red. So when the new codex released I started looking for other ways to field them. Enter the Storm Wing formation. Two storm talons with a storm raven. The BA storm raven has now been brought in line with the normal SM one, which got me to thinking. I should be about to field the formation (painted red of course) as allies to my BA. I was wondering if anyone knows of something Im missing that would keep this from working?

Chapter-Master

Nope. 100% legit. The only thing to remember is that technically when fielded in this way your stormraven will not have the Blood Angels faction. There may be some consequences to this... (checking...) nope, nothing comes to mind. Even your techmarine would be able to repair it. Just keep it in mind when building the rest of your list or considering scenario rules.

EDIT: In fact, this is such a neat idea that I might have to steal it...
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Veteran-Sergeant

I have been looking for about 3 days just to make sure, too. Never have I ever been so glad to see missiles get nerfed.

Chaplain

Yup totally legitimate, while the independent formation rule would have made it complicated in 6th Edition, the Allies rules for Battle Brothers in 7th Edition would permit you to embark on the Stormraven with Blood Angels if you so desired.

Obviously it would not benefit from anything that specifies Blood Angels faction or Blood Angels Units like some of the Blood Angel specific tactical objectives, and/or army wide effects that specify Blood Angels Faction only but I am unaware of any of those as of yet as I haven't seen wat Exterminatus has to offer yet.

Banned

It worked for the Puppies before they got their Wolf Boat (and still does, too).

Only considerations to consider is number of Detachments. It is a 3 model detachment, and some areas restrict the number of detachments you can use. Considering how much was changed from no-slot to slotted (i.e. all of it), especially when compared to C:SM, you may want to be careful on your list-building. It can be quite easy to go over your detachment allotment because of it.

This is not specific to the OP, just a general consideration for everyone.