BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default New Blood Angels Formations

Hey Everyone,
    I recently picked up White Dwarf #47 and wanted to know what everyone thought of the new formations in it, especially the Angel's Fury Spearhead Force. I think it's awesome that deep striking units can assault, but it seems to be tricky and, perhaps, not all that reliable. In addition, it costs a lot points wise for regular games: 3 storm ravens, and 3 ten man squads of tact marines. A hefty price to pay for deep striking. 435pt for 3 10man squads with just flamers, and roughly 699pts for three Storm Ravens. for a total of about 1134pts. Let me know what you all think, especially if any of you have tried them out yet. Also, for those that have the BA codex, are they any special rules they have that make this formation any better? Thanks.

Gryphon

Chapter-Master

Here's what I wrote over in B&C:

So, back to the point. I finally got the White Dwarf and had a chance to look at the formations therein myself. My thoughts are:

Angel's Wrath Intervention Force: I'm not sure it's really game-changingly good, and I'm not sure it's worth giving up the +1 Initiative on the charge that these units would get for being part of the rest of my army (the Baal Strike Force Detachment is definitely a game-changer), but I do know that it looks hella fun. I will probably try it out at some point - I'm only one assault squad and one vanguard veteran squad short of being able to use it, and I have enough alternate models that if I divide my extant assault squad into two mini squads with melta and flame, I'm good.

Angel's Fury Spearhead Force: This one is probably the best of the bunch and - sadly - the one I'm least likely to be able to use any time soon. I already tend to deploy my tac squads in this way (ie. riding in a stormraven), but I only own two tac squads and one stormraven. Oh, well. It's good to have something to work towards.

Flesh Tearers Blood Rain Strike Force: This? This I will definitely use. Why? Because this is basically my list. I see myself adding a jump HQ, a tac squad, and some sniper scouts as a CAD (for that tasty Objective Secured); the HQ can run with the vanguard vets, my scouts can infiltrate somewhere safe, and the tacs can ride in (you guessed it) the storm raven. The most likely scenario is that the scouts would only have to survive one turn unsupported, which I'm pretty confident they can do. And then my entire list would arrive with all their tasty special rules.

All I need is a vanguard veterans box. I'm probably going to do a duelist sergeant (power sword, pistol), three guys with storm shields and power lances, and either a fist or a thunder hammer on the final guy.

Mephrit Dynasty Resurgance Decurion: I hate them already. Whether I hate them in the fun "I will destroy this unit if it's the last thing I do, and if I kill that last mothercensored.gifer I will call this game a win even if the points say I lose" way or in the not-so-fun "oh, will you look at the time, I guess I'd better get home, good game..." way remains to be seen.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Chaplain

Not really the right spot in the forums, but I'd say in games under 2000 points I would go with either the Angel's Fury Spearhead Force with a Baal Strike force detachment as the primary detachment with a focus on as many Jump units as I could get.

or

Archangels Sanguine formation with a CAD or Baal strikeforce primary detachment would be the two formations I prefer.

In games over 2500+ points I'd probably enjoy trying out Dante's Host formation as it seems to be a pretty solid formation with 4 HQ, 3 Elite, 3 Troop, 1 Fast Attack, 4 Heavy Support, 1 Lord of War, while not getting Red Thirst on the units you would love to have it on most stinks, you do gain objective secured on every non vehicle model which amounts to 11 scoring units.

Thanks for your thoughts. I play Iron hands, but I love the Angel's Fury Spearhead Force. I have 2 ravens and more than enough tact marines. While it might not be a game changer, It would be fun seeing the look on peoples faces when three ravens come in on turn 1, and then units port in and assault.

- - - Updated - - -

Gleipnir,
    Yeah, your right not the right spot in the forms, didn't realize it until I posted it, but thanks for taking the time to reply. The Dante's Hose formation sounds really cool. I play Iron Hands, but some of the formations from the White Dwarf sound too fun to pass up on.