BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Docrailgun View Post
    Good thing you played against some players who weren't playing to the strengths of their Codexes. Where were the melta ASM pod squads? Where were the gravity gun bikers? Where were the Death Company units? Heavy flamer tacs to counter charges?
    I was the BA player vs. him in those games. Iīv tried 10 man sternguard drop pod unit (with 10 combi-meltas) vs. Wave Serpents but math just isnīt there. On a good dice day you hit about 7 times, from those you glance or pen about 6 times. From those 6 Wave Serpent will save with jink 3+ average 4 and downgrade any pens to glance with 2+. So in a good day you get two glances with that try and after that you are standing there no more than 6" away from what ever is going to come out of it or is around you. Normaly you get shot down to 3-4 men on the next Eldar turn.

Grav guns are even more unrelaiable in this. With bikes you dont get enough shots. With sternguard you get 20 shots if you land near enough. Hit about 14 times in a good day and out of those you get about 2-3 "six to glance and immobilize" hits. If you are lucky he will fail one and get immobilized for the rest of the game. But its not that hard for WS to jink those.

Death Company gets shot from the table with those same bright lance Warwalkers that take care of my terminators (they at least get 4++ with sanctuary). Feel no pain doesnīt help you vs. S8 weapon. If you deep strike them too close Wraithknight will waste them with suncannon hits on the midle of the DS formation and then assault whats left. They just get crushed. GK terminators are more scary for him because of 4++ and S5 - S9 Force weapons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    Heck, the Stalker and Hydra should be awesome against Wave Serpents. Both are twin-linked, don't care if Pens are downed to Glanced because it is based on Glancing things to death, anyway, and has the volume to do it, and Skyfire still helps against Skimmers. It requires Allies for Blood Angels, but hey, there are worse things to Ally.

Unfortunately, Grav is less effective against Vehicles than Monstrous Creatures and Marine Characters, and the Centurion's Grav Cannons are far better at getting that lucky Glance than the Guns, even on Bikes.
    Hmmm... thanks for the advice. I dont īt have codex Space Marines, but I think Iīll might get it to look into those. They should be nice add to my AA weapons also. Only thing Im worried is that if its 11 armour it will get wasted (or shaken) really fast with serpent shield S7, no cover save shots, but at least it would force him to shoot that shield if those tanks would be placed in a good cover. How many shots does it fire and with what strenght? Whats the range?

Totaly agree with you about Grav guns.

First off, don't fire melta weapons at wave serpents with their shields up unless it is from the back where the shield can't help. And if he's not firing his shields, and you still can't beat his wave serpents, nothing we can say will help you.

Second, you can't jink a grav gun hit. You can jink to avoid any glancing or penetrating hit, grav guns are neither. However, centurions are much better at this, though 2grav guns and a combi grav should be able to at least immobilize a serpent.

Third aren't legion of the damned an option with their ignores cover melta weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowcatX View Post
    First off, don't fire melta weapons at wave serpents with their shields up unless it is from the back where the shield can't help. And if he's not firing his shields, and you still can't beat his wave serpents, nothing we can say will help you.

Second, you can't jink a grav gun hit. You can jink to avoid any glancing or penetrating hit, grav guns are neither. However, centurions are much better at this, though 2grav guns and a combi grav should be able to at least immobilize a serpent.

Third aren't legion of the damned an option with their ignores cover melta weapons?
    Basic Rule Book p. 167 "JINK. If the unit Jinks, all models in the unit with this special rule gain a 4+ cover save until..."
    Basic Rule Book p. 77 "Vehicles and Cover - Obscured Targets. If the target is obscured and suffers a glancing hit, a penetrating hit, or is otherwise hit By an enemy shooting attack that inflicts damage upon it (such as being hit by a wapon with the Gravitation special rule. pg 164), it must take a cover save against it, exactly like a non-vehcile model would do against a Wound..."

Dontīt remember page or wording of those Eldar vehicle upgrade that grants it +1 to cover saves.

Good point if you people also think that there really is not anything effective against those shields. This means that I donīt need to think about it so much. Like a said it really wasnīt any problem for me before (because of the Vanguard Vets) and right now I just cant play for a win anymore.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by World Of Pain View Post
    Basic Rule Book p. 167 "JINK. If the unit Jinks, all models in the unit with this special rule gain a 4+ cover save until..."
    Basic Rule Book p. 77 "Vehicles and Cover - Obscured Targets. If the target is obscured and suffers a glancing hit, a penetrating hit, or is otherwise hit By an enemy shooting attack that inflicts damage upon it (such as being hit by a wapon with the Gravitation special rule. pg 164), it must take a cover save against it, exactly like a non-vehcile model would do against a Wound..."

Dontīt remember page or wording of those Eldar vehicle upgrade that grants it +1 to cover saves.

Good point if you people also think that there really is not anything effective against those shields. This means that I donīt need to think about it so much. Like a said it really wasnīt any problem for me before (because of the Vanguard Vets) and right now I just cant play for a win anymore.
    You can't play with Vanguard Vet's why? I've already told you how you can get your charge after Deep Strike back, hell you don't even have to use Vanguard Vets to do it anymore you can do it with basic Assault Marines in a squad of 5 w/ 2 special weapons now. At 2500 points you could have thrown together a list of no less than 7 squads of Deep Striking Furious Charging same turn they arrive Assault squads, all with Red Thirst, Jet Bikes and Wave Serpent mobility is moot with that. As others have said you have to learn to play with the strength of the codex you have instead of trying to force a 5th edition army build to work the same in 7th edition with different rules.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by World Of Pain View Post
    Hmmm... thanks for the advice. I dont īt have codex Space Marines, but I think Iīll might get it to look into those. They should be nice add to my AA weapons also. Only thing Im worried is that if its 11 armour it will get wasted (or shaken) really fast with serpent shield S7, no cover save shots, but at least it would force him to shoot that shield if those tanks would be placed in a good cover. How many shots does it fire and with what strenght? Whats the range?
    They are basically four Autocannons mashed together, which twin-links them and doubles their rate of fire, so they can cover the field rather well. The Hydra can be bought in Squadrons, so you can get three for the slot of the one Stalker. The Stalker can trade BS 4 for BS 2 and Twin-Linked to shoot at two targets as well, so there are trade offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleipnir View Post
    You can't play with Vanguard Vet's why? I've already told you how you can get your charge after Deep Strike back, hell you don't even have to use Vanguard Vets to do it anymore you can do it with basic Assault Marines in a squad of 5 w/ 2 special weapons now. At 2500 points you could have thrown together a list of no less than 7 squads of Deep Striking Furious Charging same turn they arrive Assault squads, all with Red Thirst, Jet Bikes and Wave Serpent mobility is moot with that. As others have said you have to learn to play with the strength of the codex you have instead of trying to force a 5th edition army build to work the same in 7th edition with different rules.
    No, no, no! I didnīt say that I cant play with Vang Vets - I said that against Wave Serpents nobody really has anything (reliable) to counter them. So if I see two or more of them in a game I need to understand to forget about winning and just play it for fluff. In my reasent experience with 7th edition codex BA, codex GK and codex AM you get your *** kicked around with wave serpent - wright knight - warwalker army.

I donīt have that spearhead formation data yet, but Im goint to look for it and try to find some answers from there. I do thank you for that info!

About forcing 5th edition army to work... my issue is that I was playing really ok with 5th edition codex vs. Eldar 6th edition. Right now Im forced to fight with this 7th edition vs. that same 6th edition codex and I felt unable to counter those serpents. Just needed info that is there any other ideas / tactics / units to do it. Result from this post is starting to be that there really isnīt anything else exept that spearhead you told me about.
    Last edited by World Of Pain; 12-24-2014 at 02:11 PM.

It is a pity that BA cannot get Land Speeder Storms, because 5 BA scouts can cause 3 HP of damage on the charge when armed with close combat weapons and bolt pistol (3 attacks each at S5 with Furious Charge) on average. That is against AV10, which is what the Wave Serpent (and all Eldar vehicles in the Codex) have on their rear. All for 55pts. The problem is delivering the cheap sacrificial scouts to the Serpents to take them out- Land Speeder Storms are great for this, but no good access to them. Maybe Storm Ravens would work, but by this point you may as well use Assault Marines or Tacticals for the same purpose.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Relic Sicaran is an option for Blood Angels, I think. 140 points for AV13 fast vehicle with S7 ignores jink shots. Limit 1 per army unless you have a specific HQ in your army like a techmarine or something. That's the cost for the Chaos version, anyway. The loyalist version probably has power of the machine spirit.

Probably in imperial armour of the astartes, forget the number.

Chapter-Master

It doesn't have a number. Just warmachines of the adeptus astartes.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

It does have a number: Imperial Armour Volume 2, Second Edition: Warmachines of the Adeptus Astartes.

Ok, so a Sicaran is likely to do about 2 HP of damage to a Wave Serpent in one turn, however, if you upgrade it with the Battle of Mars Legacy of Glory, which gives it Tank Hunters, +1BS against Daemonforged vehicles and 4+ Sv against Haywire attacks (for 25) then it averages about 3 HPs a volley, with extra Haywire protection. All you need then is something to take out the Wraith-beasties, and maybe the Crimson Hunter and the Sicarans are fairly invulnerable as Fast vehicles at AV13.
    Last edited by Haighus; 12-25-2014 at 04:16 AM.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast