BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 38 of 61 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

For the life of me, I don't understand how these things don't have stealth or shrouded with their holofields.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Well indeed.

I've seen the odd demand from self identifying 'hardcore tournament players' for stuff like Animosity and Skaven 'whoops I killed my army' stuff to be removed.

My answer? Don't. Play. Those. Armies. The rules in question are a big part of the army character, and for every time the green skinned little oiks ruin your plans, there'll be times when everything has inexplicably come together in an A-Team style, and you just roll your opponents line

The animosity complaints in particular seemed to treat as something absolutely brand new to the army, rather than something that has been around at least as long as I have (Warhammer that game with Elves and those lethally sharp Gobbos)
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

The randomness can also be used tactically. For instance you can place your troops to tempt your opponent into a charge when it is borderline for success, with the intent of punishing him if it fails.

Yup.

Far better to my mind than 'ha! I rapid fired. Uh oh...he's in guaranteed assault reach'
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Subs View Post
    I suspect Helline is like me, I create a bit of a back story for my characters, giving them a name and building up a history over games. It's kinda annoying to see the same Character turn up to games with wildly different powers, feels like it's not the same Character.
    yes i very much have a back story for all of my armies of which i'm quite attached too and Subs is right in that when a ability rolls up that's not useful or appropriate you just feel a bit annoyed (i get far more excited when a warlord trait rolls up that fits the character rather than what powerful) but that's not the bit that really gets me...

I'm not a big tournament player but when i do build a list for states or whatever i find myself looking at those random effect units (possessed as an example) and i can't justify taking them them because what if one of their random rolls cost me not only the match but the competition due to something that i have no control over.
    Some armies have it more than others, if your a goblin player in fantasy and you don't like your units doing crazy stuff well your probably playing the wrong army but when was the last time you saw a Possessed or Penal legion (before their latest codex obviously) do well in a tournament or even be in a tournament? People would rather have a Chosen than Possessed in a competition because it can be relied upon to do its job.

Eldargal is quite right randomness has always been part of the game (if i remember correctly 2nd ed had tons of it) but when winning is important it should be about who is the better player with the better tactics not who's lucky with things that's got nothing to do with how good a player he is. The less randomness you have the more reliability you have the greater chance your tactics will work, i feel its the same with one-shot weapons. Those bolas are good... but what if you miss? are you going to weaken your whole battle line just to compensate for the fact that you can't have another go thus giving your opponent the advantage? should you spend valuable points on getting more of the expensive skyweavers just so you've got more bolas just in case you miss a few times with the one-shot weapons?

We don't even have the codex yet and i'm probably just winging too much. i'll shut up now :P

Chapter-Master

Jetbikes up on GW site - [url]http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Harlequin-Skyweavers[/url]

Sprues look pretty packed!

Also video -
    Last edited by Asymmetrical Xeno; 02-06-2015 at 01:29 PM.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Yup.

And two front torsos with headlamps, which is nice.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Yup.

And two front torsos with headlamps, which is nice.
    Yes, happy about that too.

Guessing next week will be the Starweaver and Death jester, but what i want to know is whether there will be anymore or not as they will seemingly be lacking an HQ, as the Death Jester, Solitaire and Shadowseer are listed as elites on the website.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Well indeed.

I've seen the odd demand from self identifying 'hardcore tournament players' for stuff like Animosity and Skaven 'whoops I killed my army' stuff to be removed.

My answer? Don't. Play. Those. Armies. The rules in question are a big part of the army character, and for every time the green skinned little oiks ruin your plans, there'll be times when everything has inexplicably come together in an A-Team style, and you just roll your opponents line

The animosity complaints in particular seemed to treat as something absolutely brand new to the army, rather than something that has been around at least as long as I have (Warhammer that game with Elves and those lethally sharp Gobbos)
    The really strange thing was when I was told by a quite good Skaven player that he avoids anything random in his army for that reason... but he tends to take a Hell Pit Abomination and I've seen him use a Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (he even let me borrow the model once because I keep forgetting to order a base for my old Bell to fit into a unit better).

I just go into games with the assumption that if something can go wrong, it will go wrong. If it does, I'm prepared. If it doesn't, huzzah!

There's not much random outside of dice rolls in recent releases, except for the C'tan powers. And even when those might not be what you want, they're almost always going to be nasty. Maybe Combat Drugs for Dark Eldar? Then you have to reach back to the Orks with some of their stuff. Otherwise, it's just psychic power selection, warlord traits, and mission objectives (counting 7th edition and after releases).

I'm glad Harlequins don't have much random stuff. While it's fun, they're one of the armies that'd be more likely to make sure everything is 100% right before doing anything (like Grey Knights).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by helline9 View Post
    Those bolas are good... but what if you miss? are you going to weaken your whole battle line just to compensate for the fact that you can't have another go thus giving your opponent the advantage? should you spend valuable points on getting more of the expensive skyweavers just so you've got more bolas just in case you miss a few times with the one-shot weapons?
    Bolas are pretty short ranged. So you set things up to drop in, throw them, and then assault so the non-bola bikes can hit with their spears. AP2 all over the place! (Except the bola's CC attacks, of course.)

Chapter-Master

That right there is a CWE jetbike sprue with some harlequin bits and bobbins tossed in extra (kind of like how the stormraven kits come with BA/GK bits and bobbins). I think we're looking at the new CWE jetbike sprue... all we need is a secondary sprue that can make a guardian/shiningspear/Warlock/Farseer/Autarch.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Page 38 of 61 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast