BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

yup, having played for nearly twenty years, I long remember White Dwarf articles about the difficulties of staging larger battles, and how that was the aim of 3rd edition 40k, to make larger games possible. look at the excitement that followed the release of Apocalypse, it isn't just a 'ooh, let's sell more models'. it is 'ooh, let's have massive games and play all weekend' which people have always done anyway.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Subs View Post
    Added to which it's a bit weird to moan about flyers and such when legendary Chapter and Company Masters seem to crop every other battle . . oh look it's the Space Wolf legends, again, haven't I killed them once already?
    Those of us who confine the SC's to the display shelf shall continue to moan away.

The way most flyers are handled makes the least sense as they completely break the timescale of the game. Even in Epic where the ground scale difference is massive, flyers do not stay on the table. Each turn they perform a specific task and then they're gone until next turn.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    yup, having played for nearly twenty years, I long remember White Dwarf articles about the difficulties of staging larger battles, and how that was the aim of 3rd edition 40k, to make larger games possible. look at the excitement that followed the release of Apocalypse, it isn't just a 'ooh, let's sell more models'. it is 'ooh, let's have massive games and play all weekend' which people have always done anyway.
    Hell, Rogue Trader games used to take all weekend, multiple pizzas, movies for the person who's turn it wasn't and a 3rd party to supervise LOL

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thaldin View Post
    Hell, Rogue Trader games used to take all weekend, multiple pizzas, movies for the person who's turn it wasn't and a 3rd party to supervise LOL
    And that was with a couple squads per side.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by 40kGamer View Post
    Those of us who confine the SC's to the display shelf shall continue to moan away.

The way most flyers are handled makes the least sense as they completely break the timescale of the game. Even in Epic where the ground scale difference is massive, flyers do not stay on the table. Each turn they perform a specific task and then they're gone until next turn.
    Even though this is way off topic, I totally agree. I hope that future iterations of the rules will restrict the ways that fliers can move, and that they would only be seen every other turn. It would make Necron players think twice before embarking all their troops in hugely maneuverable transports - suddenly stealing objectives isn't so easy with this stupid-cheap flier. It would also fit the role better, however if that's the case, I hope other fliers get a boost to their killing power, like Stormtalons. On the flip side, being on the table for only half the game would help nerf things like Heldrakes and Stormravens that just have too much power and potential. Plus, only having to worry about fliers for half of a game would help ease the pressure on opponents that don't have as much anti-flyer in their whole codex!

Fly Lord

Confirmed from the physical codex:

by Warseer's [URL="http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?403593-A-Laugh-For-Christmas&p=7387951&viewfull=1#post7387951"]ZeroNoRyouki[/URL] 2-19-2015

Harlequin Tactical Objectives
    11) Dance of Death
    You gain 1 VP at the end of your turn if at least one enemy unit was destroyed during your turn

12) Hit and run
    You gain 1 VP at the end of your turn if at least one friendly unit Hit&Run off a combat during your turn. If 3 or more unit do it, you gain D3 VP instead

13) Tricks and pitfalls
    When you generate this objective, both players secretly select one objetive marker. You gain 1 VP at the end of your turn if you control one of those markers. If you control both or if you control one that was selected by both players, you gain D3 VP instead

14) The joy of lament
    You gain 1 VP at the end of your turn if at least 1 enemy unit failed a Morale, Pinning or Fear test during your turn

15) Appears on the scene
    You gain 1 VP at the end of your turn if you control the objective marker whose number equals the turn number. Can't be obtained from turn 7 onward [you don't say....]

16) Main attraction
    (I'm rewording it)
    At the end of the game you gain:
    - 1 VP if your Warlord is alive. OR
    - D3 VP if your Warlord is alive and the enemy one is not. OR
    - D3 + 3 VP if your Warlord killed the enemy one during a challenge

Harlequin Allies
    BB: Eldar and Dark Eldar
    Conv: Imperium and Tau
    Desperate: Orks
    Apoc: everything else

You can't use the CAD or Allied detachment (because we have no HQ) so yes, only formations and masque detachment

Any Character can be the Warlord
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    Indeed. It's a natural evolution of a hobby game. The longer someone plays, the larger their collection gets, the bigger the game they want to play, particularly when the backdrop of the setting has always been about staggering numbers of warriors getting stuck in with the boot leather.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

Yep, 3rd was a reaction to what the customers wanted, easy to play large games.

Quite.

I don't think anyone ever really objects to planning and playing a game that takes many hours to see through, as long as said hours aren't predominantly book keeping and 'end of turn phase' stuff - which 2nd Ed had in abundance.

For my money, 3rd Ed went a bit too far, throwing out baby with the bathwater if you like. Whilst the game was well streamlined down (including clarifying if you had to beat, or merely equal vehicle armour to do damage) the books and armies that followed just seemed hollowed out. Ever since, they've been dropping more and more of 2nd Ed stuff in, without bringing back all the counters and tables and markers, which for me are best off left ou. Whilst it was fun watching a plasma grenade marker expand all over your opponent, when you'd just chucked 20 of them, it became very, very tiresome!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

First-Captain

Agreed, 3rd drove me away as it became a bit soulless, seems to be where all these people with their weird ideas about trying to win came in, every edition has added a bit more of the fun back to the game, given it some soul.

2nd was great if you were playing small 20-30 model games, it is still a brilliant system for Necromunda and i still think modifying the to hit roll is a much better mechanic than cover saves.

Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast