BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Occuli Imperator

Default Thinking of starting Wood Elves: Tips

Ok, so I absolutly can't stand the whole movement phase of fantasy... As such a lot of people have been telling me to turn in my WoC for Wood Elves. What I want to know is how 'competitive,' the list actually is and how it plays. Thanks all

Duke
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

I played Wood Elves for a bit and found them to be quite competetive. Dryads are a VERY good core choice; they're tough and get multiple attacks.

I think if you're going to build a Wood Elves army, you certainly want to start with Dryads. Figure out what you want your general to be, and then go from there, keeping in mind that it is a very hit-and-run style army.

Occuli Imperator

sounds fun. How are wardancers?

Duke
    Red text= mod voice

Brother-Captain

Wardancers are awesome against unarmour foe, and of course they do best in the flanks of opposing units.

One warning on WE - don't try to build a shooty army. They don't have the high S to make the effort worth while.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Wood elves are a great army. Of all the older armies, they have aged the best.

A balanced wood elf army is the way to go. Most competitive builds start around 3 units of glade guard (10 strong, no upgrades) and 3 units of 8 dryads.

The last list I played was:
    Treeman Ancient w/ netlings, annoyance, pageant of shrikes
    Level 2 mage w/ 2 scrolls
    Level 2 mage w/ 2 scrolls
    Hero w/ army standard, hail of doom arrow, great weapon
    10 archers
    10 archers
    10 archers
    8 dryads
    8 dryads
    8 dryads
    5 wild riders
    5 wild riders
    8 wardancers
    8 wardancers
    Eagle
    5 Waywatchers

That list provides for a strong magic phase with excellent magic defense. You have enough shooting to take out support units, particularly with the hail of doom arrow. The list has the hitting power it needs. Eagles are fantastic redirectors and warmachine hunters. The treeman ancient is essentially a walking dragon. Start with that 2250 list and you won't go wrong.
    Last edited by elrodogg; 02-12-2010 at 07:51 AM.

Assuming you want to do as little as you can in the movement phase woudn't you be better going witht he like fo a Dwarf gun line.

Lots of shooting and hard solid infantry that can take the charge.

Battle-Brother

If you don't like the movement phase, for the love of god don't play wood elves. They more than many other armies rely on their movement. They can't take bad charges because they are generally very soft. Also most of their combat troops can't flee (immune to psych) so if you don't move carefully you die. They also usually cannot take ranked up units with only 1 of their units. They need to combo charge and get flanks. All this requires careful movement.

If you dont like to move play dwarfs or better yet try a game not almost entirely decided in the movement phase, say 40k or Warmachine.

Occuli Imperator

I guess, I should be more specific... I don't mind movement so much as I hate the whole "Wheel," thing and the whole "Arc of visibility," thing.

Duke
    Red text= mod voice

I suck at guessing visability so I feel you pain but it is one of the key factors in the game. This might not be the game for you

Get one of these: [url]http://www.gf9.com/store/popup_image.php?pID=422[/url]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast