BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Well, one of my issues with this - and mind you, I like both and would likely try to get both - is that they are, realistically, just niche groups. Harlequins would have to change a lot to not be smallish "armies." Combine that with the lack of people who'd actually play them, and it doesn't add up to much in sales. AdMech has a better shot at sales because you can tack them onto any Imperial force, but it's still a questionable proposition. Production costs won't be that cheap, and when you're a company already barely maintaining a profit, you can't jump on risks like this when you can just churn out new stuff for existing armies and have it sell well. Just feels like they're not judging the market well.

Of course, these are all still just rumors, and rumors are often not what we expect them to be in the end.

Harlies will ally with the Imperium too. They're inscrutable, and will happily go where Craftworld won't, and Dark won't be welcome.

Doesn't have to represent 'fistbump' allies, just 'hey check it out. We're 'helping'. Yes, just 'helping'. Certainly no unpleasant repercussions to come. Not us. Oh no. Totes on the level'
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Fly Lord

via Gary's anonymous source 12-30-2014
    The new faction is in fact Ad Mech, Skitarii. As far as I know this is still a ways out, but who knows. There is only troops and elites, with vehicles. Mostly foot soldiers, guys with spider legs, and a couple tank/spider hybrids.

There is also a Dragoon which looks to be a dual kit with a rider on top of a bipedal machine. It has legs similar to the IG sentinels, but has a grafted human in the center of the machine. I am not as fluent in the background with the skitarii as I would like to comment much more.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Harlies will ally with the Imperium too. They're inscrutable, and will happily go where Craftworld won't, and Dark won't be welcome.

Doesn't have to represent 'fistbump' allies, just 'hey check it out. We're 'helping'. Yes, just 'helping'. Certainly no unpleasant repercussions to come. Not us. Oh no. Totes on the level'
    Yeah, but a lot of gamers just want the Battle Brothers so they don't have to worry about the allies chart (and yes, I still play by it, because even with those "restrictions" it's still cheeky buggery to put Tau battlesuits alongside a Land Raider Crusader full of Death Company, something I *have* seen on the table).

I'm not anti-GW on this, I'd love for it to happen, I'm just not convinced by the rumors, especially as it doesn't seem like a good move financially.

Guess we'll see when it happens. If it's true, it's one more group of models I can tack on to my Rogue Trader army.

dMech has a better shot at sales because you can tack them onto any Imperial force, but it's still a questionable proposition. Production costs won't be that cheap, and when you're a company already barely maintaining a profit, you can't jump on risks like this when you can just churn out new stuff for existing armies and have it sell well.
    At this stage, are AdMech really a risk?

They're established via Forge World, they're different enough to Marines in rules and playstyle to justify as a new army, and they're visually different to everything else out there. They don't have the clean lines of the marines or the WW1 and 2 flat edges of the Militarum, nor are they all the exposed tendons and tentacles of chaos. They're kind of rivets and curves and far too many arms.

So, as an IP they're previously established - and as a 'luxury' army, which can't hurt - visually different, playstyle different, plus they ally with existing armies so the risk no-one will buy any is significantly mitigated.

And on a personal level, I've been waiting for an AdMech army since the Black Codex of Xmas '93. Twenty-two years is a long time to be waiting, but I've done it before. I never lost the faith in plastic Ogryns and then they came and they were everything I wanted.

If they are doing AdMech - and Jes Goodwin has repeatedly stated he wants to - I will be first in line to buy EVERYTHING.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post

They're established via Forge World, they're different enough to Marines in rules and playstyle to justify as a new army, and they're visually different to everything else out there. They don't have the clean lines of the marines or the WW1 and 2 flat edges of the Militarum, nor are they all the exposed tendons and tentacles of chaos. They're kind of rivets and curves and far too many arms.

So, as an IP they're previously established - and as a 'luxury' army, which can't hurt - visually different, playstyle different, plus they ally with existing armies so the risk no-one will buy any is significantly mitigated.

And on a personal level, I've been waiting for an AdMech army since the Black Codex of Xmas '93. Twenty-two years is a long time to be waiting, but I've done it before. I never lost the faith in plastic Ogryns and then they came and they were everything I wanted.

If they are doing AdMech - and Jes Goodwin has repeatedly stated he wants to - I will be first in line to buy EVERYTHING.
    Agreed with this 100% - If Jes can do what he did for the Dark Eldar they would surely be a hit.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

This would certainly fall in line with the new FW "Dred" just announced. It may well be a Thallax war engine.

No, no - that's definitely a Dreadnought.

And Forgeworld, on account it's from the FW Blog.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    I would love AdMech too, but, in all honesty, they are something of a risk, depending on what they're doing with them. It's lot a lot of other things, where people will say they want something, and then they think because they and all their friends want something (even though a lot of their friends can't/won't buy it), they assume everyone wants the same. AdMech sounds great, and it has a reasonable chance of success because, again, it's Imperial and fits with all Imperial armies. But as a new army, it's a lot of up-front cost. That's the risk part. There's no actual guarantee on the investment. They might hedge their bets in other ways, though (such as producing limited numbers and pricing them higher), but that could also lead to lower sales than they otherwise would have gotten.

Really, there's always a risk in introducing something new to the market.

I'm cheering for it to be a real new army (though I'm starting to get skeptical of the rumor mongers who claim there's a clear photo floating around and yet no one's sharing it), and I'll gladly add them to my forces. I'm just also prepared for it to not actually happen. (If I don't get my hopes up, I can't be too disappointed, right?)

Veteran-Sergeant

I have trouble keeping up with the who's who of rumormongering on here, is Gary's anonymous source usually reliable? Or is this way out of left field with no credibility whatsoever?
    By The Brass Balls of Khorne- http://khornesbrassballs.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast