BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Question I need some Tactical Advice with my nurgle army

I keep fumbling with placement on deployment so its time for me to seek advice to try and understand more about ways to improve deployment I will give a rundown of all the models I currently own.

Primary Detachment Chaos Daemons

Daemon lord of Nurgle.
    1 Great unclean one
    2 Daemon Prince of nurgle with wings
    4 Heralds of Nurgle and 1 on a palanquin
    50 plaguebearers of Nurgle with 3x plagueridden, 3x banner and 3x Instrument
    6 Nurglings
    5 Beast of Nurgle
    7 Plague Drones of Nurgle

Allied Detachment Chaos Space Marines

Typhus
    20 zombies (warhammer fantasy) used as plague zombies
    7 Plague Marines
    1 Rhino

So mostly I put my daemons in reserves with a icon and a instrument just so they can piggy back a unit because of the rules when you successfully pull a unit from reserve with a instrument in the next unit in reserves does not need to roll for reserves to come in and if that unit that came in with the instrument in the unit with a banner the next model that comes in and all others from deep strike around it up to 6" do not scatter so normally its pull in a basic unit of 10 plague bearers then I pull in the lord of war so it does not scatter and as the lord of war also is classed as a icon all models come in around him its basically a giant hot drop. I also have beast of nurgles drop behind him because of his size they can hide without fear of being shot this is good for 1 reason if the enemy charge the plague bearers due to you can charge when you come out of deep strike for 1 turn the beast come with a rule that if the enemy charge's any unit they can also charge rendering the added attack from the enemy charge invalid due to slime trail

So any advice would be great
    Last edited by Xaric; 01-01-2015 at 06:12 PM.
    Those who judge without reason are no better then the things they judge.

Spacing and paragraphs would be great.

I am not quite sure what kind of advice you are looking for as it is rather vaguely written.

The one thing I do see is that you are playing your icons wrong, as they don't work the turn they arrive. So you can't deep-strike the icon, then use it to reduce scatters that same turn, only on later turns.

From what I see, you play full melee in a game where shooting rules. In addition, beyond the deep-strike, most of your units are move 6 without even the ability to run due to slow and purposeful, so I would redesign this entire list to have more mobility.

The advice is about placement for deployment so I am not sure how you can say how vaguely I am also looking for stuff people might pick up on like tips that I don't know about but I cant ask for them as that would defeat the point of them being things people picked up.

Icons do work from when they arrive you are thinking 5th edition that rule got removed and also there are rules in the book for instance the warlord trait has a requirement to be on the field for it to become active wile the icon profile does not unless you can find where it does say it needs to be on the field for one turn before it becomes active it stands as it works when it comes from deep strike.

12" plague drones of nurgle and a trust move in assault due to being jet pack cavalry.
    12" beast of nurgle because they are beasts.
    Flying daemon prince can swoop and glide.
    Nurglings get infiltrate meening they can deploy at a range from the enemy models.

I am finding that you don't play daemons or you simply have not read the rules or something based on the information you are providing...

Hmmm, I'm not sure if Typhus and the Zombies will help you out too much when using primary Daemons like that, but the Plague Marines in a Rhino with a couple melta guns can help crack some armor. Maybe get a Sorcerer, perhaps not even a Nurgle one, to add the mandatory allied HQ and 3 powers from a single discipline depending on your enemy to put in the Rhino with them.

Most games will not be using Scabiethrax, but when you do get to use him, I find he's actually best coming in via Deepstrike since he's so slow. Your Living Icon is definitely useful for getting the Nurgley slowpokes across the table. And yes, the Daemons Icon does work the way the rules are currently written for it (no limitation anymore of having to be on the table the previous turn). I definitely think deepstriking the Plague Bearers most of the time, and always putting an instrument with those that do deepstrike, is key, as you roll for those squads, and as soon as 1 comes in, the instrument would let your Scabiethrax come in to unload the Hellstorm and the Aura of Decay? (that other ability he has).

In games with no Lords of War, the Plague Drones with an Icon will do a similar function and also help rust vehicles to death. You can use the Infiltrating Nurglings to give the Drones cover I think.

Beasts of Nurgle are super expensive, and generally I find Nurgle Spawn to be more effective unless they're Grimoired.

It might also be good to have one maxed out Plaguebearer squad with multiple Heralds (depending on the psychic powers they get), just one with the Locus of Fecundity. Have them hang out in the backfield, as there's almost always at least 1 objective for them to occupy. You'll get Warp Charges from them, and the Daemon Prince(s) and GUO can do the big psychic work. Super GUOs are even better than Scabiethrax!

Deployment really depends so much on the enemy and the mission(s) at hand. But with the Beasts/Spawn and Drones and Princes, Nurgle can handle swift movement when needed if you decide early on what zone they'll be covering. GUO and Plaguebearers and Nurglings and Plague Marines can be the 2nd/3rd waves behind them.

I do recommend getting a Nurgle Soul Grinder for some versatile anti-air/anti-hordes blasting at range, or the allied CSM Heldrake with Hades Autocannon, and/or a Blight Drone. Plague Drone wings with some interesting center body would make a good Blight Drone. At least 1 flyer can help a bunch, and usually the DPs don't have the punch to deal with vehicular flyers, though they can do some damage to enemy FMCs (Vector Strike against a swooping FMC or zooming flyer causes D3 hits, but it would be at Str6, though it does ignore cover/Jink).

Hope that was useful advice, good luck!

Thanks for the great advice I mostly just wanted to add zombies just for themed mostly because having typhus on the planet at first with zombies and nurgle seeing those zombies being destroy would make it very fluffy aka nurgle upset his children are under attack so papa nurgle would send aid in from deep strike.

The reason beast in my optional are better then nurgle spawn is because of there 2 rules did you know if a enemy charge's a unit even if the beast of nurgle comes out of deep strike the beast can counter charge with attention seeker also deny there bonus attack due to slime trail that's why they are more expensive but I might considerer getting some spawn sounds like a nice idea.

the reason I did not get a plague drone is the factor all there weapons are templates so they cant really do much to other flyers I was considering getting a plague hulk but changing parts on him to make him a soul grinder because the FW plague hulk looks awesome so I will consider that

But this is the sort of advice I was craving for hope this helps in future games
    Last edited by Xaric; 01-02-2015 at 03:18 PM.

Beasts of Nurgle are certainly fun and love to play with their enemies With a Grimoire they're super awesome, though so are the Plague Drones, though either unit would also benefit greatly from Endurance, which should be on the menu with a few Biomancy Heralds or Princes on the table.

True the Blight Drone isn't much for anti-air though it does have a BS2 reaper autocannon (WOOT), but the versatility of it's zoom in 36" Str6/AP4 flamer or battle cannon shot is pretty awesome. If you can position it behind some terrain it will get a nice cover save without Jinking too. That's the real key with that unit, but Soul Grinders will also do some work too, and they can of course crush things in combat! Plague Hulks aren't quite as good I think but look the part of a Nurgle Grinder like no other

Well all flying nurgle daemons are a nightmare due to all daemons of nurgle come with shrouded and jinx giving +4 cover save and shrouded giving 2 more to that result so a 2+ cover save with taking demonology all results rock.

Cursed Earth if enemy ignore cover give him a 4+ inv save that or any units nearby that are daemons even in combat due to its a blessing

Dark Flame a torrent flame template what else can I say 12" 360 arc flame template that ignores cover and sets the unit ablaze

Infernal gaze to beam 18" down a line of enemy's from there flank even if it has strength 3 remember its flesh bane so its always wounding on 2+ and beams got changed in 7th now they do not subtract strength value for each model it passes or at least I cant see it in the book where it states it lowers value of strength for each model it passes.

Sacrifice fly near a ally deep striking unit and turn one into a herald and remember if that unit of plague bearers has feel no pain they can remove the wound on a 5+ FNP role due to FNP is not a save.

Powers like Summoning and Incursion drop them near a banner or if you got cursed earth on the daemon prince don't scatter and gives free right to place where that summon go's provided they end up at least 1" away from the foe.

Possession do this wile on the enemy's side of the table and have a Great unclean one appear behind there lines to truly give them something to fear

As for biomancy its a little meh if you ask me some good some bad

Smite from the sky 4 times for a base slap across anything face with armour 2

Iron arm not really good as daemon prince who are flying cant charge unless they are on the ground for 1 turn they already have high strength and toughness and come with smash as standard but if in combat the strength and toughness could come in handy.

Enfeeble I guess can slow the enemy down but that's about it.

Life Leech I guess you could say its ok but its competing vs smite here

Warp speed is yet again another meh because daemon prince are pretty good initiative and due to flying fleet is pointless but the +3 attack is good but would really only shine If used on anything other then beast as beast of nurgle ignore passing terrain all the time.

Endurance is great for say daemon prince and great unclean ones and plague drones but anything else and its wasted on them as they mostly come with the stuff as standard or with spending points on them.

Haemorrhage pretty much just like Rancid Visitations but weaker...

For the final selection we have nurgles personal powers

Well regaurdless all daemons of nurgles if a psyker get Stream of corruption 360 arc from the base template not bad for a flying daemon to vomit on stuff not so great on heralds or great unclean ones.

Plague wind a nasty large blast template that cant possible scatter on the daemon prince due to he is flying but can wipe out those pesky armour 2 units not great if used wile a model is on the ground could risk the scatter if you want to try your luck.

Miasma of Pestilence really good in combat can make you ruin anyone regardless of who it is used on.

Rancid visitation did this on 3 units of guardsmen of I think in somewhat 40 because the great unclean one deepstriked in a space between 3 units of guardsmen near a plaguebearer unit with a icon about 1 unit of gaurdsmen was completely wiped out, 1 unit had about 4 left because there unit leader what ever there called decided to make one guardsmen a example and the other unit ran off the board at the end out of fear despite it being 3 models so yeah this power on low toughness models can ruin them.

So out of all the powers I would say my go to would be daemonlogy then plague then biomancy but I am not saying there the best its just how I have used them this far I could be missing stuff but that's the hole point of this thread to try and point out any faults that might be here

I did a test the other day to try the Typhus and two units of 20 Zombies I call this the anchor due to 7th edition you no longer are restricted to only ever deploying 50% of your army and 50% in reserves. Zombies in that fashion are good as a anchor for the first turn because the likelihood they will die in 1 turn all spread out on my side is very low and also Denys infiltrate from enemy scouts to your deployment area.

I used 2 units of 10man plaguebearers with no herald but have a icon and instrument deployed my lord of war down a line of the enemy AM hiding in buildings at the back field and vomited all over everyone of them about 2 lived but they ran off the board my daemon prince came in on the board edge summoning more daemons and typhus unfortunately the icon not affecting him as I was told I got lucky he scattered about 3" away from 2 units and did his large blast attack god damn that ability is insanely deadly.

In the end it was a tie until I told him I scored linebraker and he did not because where the zombies moved up so much they kept the enemy 12" outside my deployment and locked in combat I do now hate those big muscle dudes the AM have now.

Brother-Captain

Most times I see daemon armies like Nurgle or Khorne, there is really only one good set of general advice: always, always be advancing. You shouldn't be hesitant or reluctant to get into close combat with your daemons. It's what they're mostly made for after all, and it's where they can keep pesky templates and other ranged killers from doing too much. I'd deploy as far forward as you're able and then just keep moving and running until you're close enough to get into assault.

I'd change your plague marines into Chaos Terminators and have them deepstrike with Typhus into the rear of an enemy army, causing havoc and destruction -- but ultimately just being a strong distraction that can't be ignored, allowing your main force to keep moving up. A unit of cultists could be used in additional to sit back in cover and await said arrival of daemons and CSM.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Krungharr View Post
    Beasts of Nurgle are certainly fun and love to play with their enemies With a Grimoire they're super awesome, though so are the Plague Drones, though either unit would also benefit greatly from Endurance, which should be on the menu with a few Biomancy Heralds or Princes on the table.

True the Blight Drone isn't much for anti-air though it does have a BS2 reaper autocannon (WOOT), but the versatility of it's zoom in 36" Str6/AP4 flamer or battle cannon shot is pretty awesome. If you can position it behind some terrain it will get a nice cover save without Jinking too. That's the real key with that unit, but Soul Grinders will also do some work too, and they can of course crush things in combat! Plague Hulks aren't quite as good I think but look the part of a Nurgle Grinder like no other

The drones are a bother, the reason why I bother with snipers now. Anyway I think what Lord is saying is pretty sound and what I would say more or less. However I'm not a fan of typhus and zombies. I feel if it's a theme type reason than you should have more zombies. It looks better having more zombies than plague bearers. With 20 zombies I really don't see the point.

I seen all nurgle armies advance with bikes, drones, winged prince and beast while deep strike the bearers in. The drones are nice due to they are quick, tough, and help provide cover save love to the rest of your army.

Personally I would rather you have a balance of csm to daemon forces, or more cam to daemon. Anyway I think more zombies or more marines would be better and a cheap nurgle sorcerer.