BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I don't like putting my LRBTs in squadrons, but I do take my Bassie's in a squadron. Damn effect that way too. I run my Hellhounds (I love my Hellhounds) in a squadron of two. Since I have a Vendetta and a Valkyrie taking up the other two Fast attack slots, I have to put the HH's like that. I've had reasonably good luck with them like that too...

No one mentioned that all the tanks have to shoot at the same target, or how artillery changes.

I, like many, have a love-hate relationship with squadrons. On one side its nice for cover, save up slots (although I haven't given much trial to the other heavy supports), and my favorite allocating wounds. Although it is easier to blow up them, the nice thing is if I have say a cheap battle cannon in a squadron with an executioner, obviously more expensive, its nice to let the battle cannon take as many hits as it can before destruction, letting me be more gutsy with the executioner.

Battle-Brother

In my Ardboys list I used a Executioner, a squad of 2 demolishers, and a squad of 2 naked leman russes. I had great succes. While the Executioner is by far my now favorite leman russ, the squadrons performed awesomely. The Demolishers hung out with my inquistor and mystics and protected my guard lines, while the leman russes with just hull heavy bolters moved with my advancing chimeras and provided them with support. Granted I had 8 chimeras so I was able to protect them from the sides and front from deepstrikers and melta rushes, but they still performed great. I think they are only viable in large games, but then at that many points you also run into that many more melta units. I think they have advantages and disadvantages.

edit: I also did fairly well, and finished third in the prelims.

If you have enough points to take 3 heavy support choices. Take 3 Russes or Artillary tanks. Then dump all the rest of you points into good ole Guardsmen. All praise the might of many Guardsmen!

Veteran-Sergeant

I am a slight extremist, but I take 2 squadrons of Leman Russ Punishers. Thats 120 strength 5 shots. they are very expensive, and I only use them in 1750+ games, but if they are used cleverly they can bring down anything you wish due to the amazing rate of fire. So I am for squadrons.

my friend uses 3 basilisks in a squadron, so he can get the whole multiple barrage thing going for a turn or two. of course he does have to think about whether or not its worth taking them in a squadron or not.. but for the most part, he just likes droppin f bombs on his opponents trying to close in on him.. XD

Veteran-Sergeant

Default i kinda disaggree

I currently field 2 sqaudrons of russ's, one that is static and covers parts of the table and the other that advances with my platoon. This combo of Russ and Vanquisher, then Russ and Executioner spells doom to most Marine armies. Now I am very carefull of maruding cls asslt squads. But by adding Plasma cannon sponsons to the vanquiser. All is good.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Inquisitor View Post
    If you have enough points to take 3 heavy support choices. Take 3 Russes or Artillary tanks. Then dump all the rest of you points into good ole Guardsmen. All praise the might of many Guardsmen!
    Amen Brother, Sing it

Ive been toying with the idea and tried it out a few times. So far I haven't been that impressed. Its an extremely fragile unit to CC to the point where a lone Lictor took out both of my LRBT's on the charge. I made sure to keep them moving but 4+ to hit isnt really saving them all that much.

I do think hellhounds (all variants) can work nicely in squadrons as can hydras but Russ's in squads I'm going to have to say nay to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast